King Mothership
The Ritual

good

by TundraL5Z USER (18 Reviews)
October 2nd, 2020 | 11 replies

Release Date: 10/02/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: We theatrical emo huh

King Mothership is the brain child of Spencer Sotelo with help of Matt Halpern, lead vocalist and drummer respectively of renowned progressive metal band Periphery. An incredibly influential band in recent years for that type of music, although the band is slowly losing influence over the years. Digressions aside, multiple members have created side projects over the years and now it's more or less Spencer's turn.

Spencer has actually released multiple side projects such as Endur and Nik Mystery with King Mothership being the newest. The description I get when listening to this new project is... "theatrical emo"... This album largely takes reminiscent detours to old emo acts from the instrumentation to the overall vibe of the tracks to Spencer's vocals. Panic! At The Disco comes to mind as these theatrical moments pop up continuously through the 48 minute runtime.

The instrumentation isnt really anything to right home about, although the parts do their job well enough and adequately so. The drumming is one of the highlights of the album overall, Matt once again demonstrating his chops behind the kit to no ones surprise. On a large portion of the album instrumental skill is overall overshadowed by the minimalist approach of notes being played, which is quite refreshing since Periphery like to expel a pandemonium of notes in most of their tracks. See Goodnight My Darling as an example that has a somewhat reminiscent factor to equally as renowned act The Dear Hunter, its very subtle in execution especially in instrumentation that works to the songs benefit.

When looking at the album it's important to look at its actual purpose of existence and why this album was made in the first place, was it for a shot at commercial success or was it just a fun project? One surely must wonder. Spencer tracked guitars and bass on the album which is quite admirable, and it shows off his multi-instrumentalist skills. Spencer's vocals are once again quite good but that goes for all of his vocal performances besides perhaps Periphery's debut album from 2010. But once again one cannot help but call back to that emo essence that carries throughout every note that he sings.

There are notable songs on the album such as Death Machine and The Ritual that get the heaviness job done nicely. Spencer's lyrics and vocal performances can be quite... eccentric though such as the "*** stain on his ass" line on Cosmic Meltdown (yes he really does say that) or the bridge of The Ritual. Falsetto is used throughout the album, Spencer displays tremendous vocal control throughout every track undeniably.

One of the most glaring issues I see throughout every track however is the mixing, drums are very compressed and provides not much ring out when Matt hits the snare for instance, and the kick isnt much better. It leaves the mix feeling oddly sparse throughout, as if something isnt quite right in the mixing department overall. But all of this said, I could actually see multiple tracks on this album being commercially viable and successful, they have the personality, they have nice hooks, they have the great vocals. The album overall is very enjoyable and fun, it's a nice little affair at the end of day that falters im some aspects that may upset ones critical eye, but most likely wont be an issue for a majority of music listeners.

Within Destruction YōkaiThe Ocean Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic | Cenozoic
Vulvodynia Finis Omnium IgnorantiamInferi (USA) The End of an Era | Rebirth
Jakub Zytecki Nothing Lasts, Nothing's LostInfant Annihilator The Battle of Yaldabaoth

"The Licc" is at 2:02 of Gold smh

Digging: Alustrium - Insurmountable

OwMySnauze
October 2nd 2020

People are comparing this material to Feed The Ground and Parade of Ashes, the two worst Periphery songs. I completely agree because disappoints.

October 2nd 2020

(in fantano voice) yeah this new king mothership album, it's... NOT GOOD *EXPLOSION ON SCREEN*

October 2nd 2020

there is seriously this little traction on this albums release? Give me some "you suck", give me some "good review, pos", give me some "shit review JAJAJA neg", GIVE ME SOME SUBSTANCE

Calc
October 2nd 2020

did you write this for the responses or did you write it for the love of writing dammit.

this to me sounds like a mix of the venetia fair and cinematic sunrise. will probably be my most listened to 3 album of the year.

bit of both really

Calc
October 2nd 2020

I appreciate the honesty. Anyone who says different is lying haha

ashcrash9
October 3rd 2020

not sure how much I'll return to this but it's fun. more my speed than Endur in any case

October 4th 2020

dude why do I get 1 neg and my approval drops from 71% to... freaking 67%? are you serious? does negs have more detractor value than pos's do?

ashcrash9
October 4th 2020

tundra I'mma give you a really important tip

the stats this site spits out at you mean nothing and nobody else cares about them

October 4th 2020

hahaha, yeah I kinda needed to hear that eh