Carach Angren
Dance and Laugh Amongst the Rotten

by MaryBabko USER (22 Reviews)
September 29th, 2020 | 8 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Different, but definitely enjoyable

Released in 2017, Dance And Laugh Amongst The Rotten received very little promotion from artist Carach Angren, and was therefore another symphonic black metal record that sank into the mire of utter obscurity. Where once there had been a band at the forefront of their particular brand of music, there now existed an entity garnering dwindling interest. Dance And Laugh Amongst The Rotten almost seemed like the death knell for the Dutch band, and yet is actually pretty damn good.

This album is often regarded as the weakest effort from the band, experimenting with far moodier sounds and less of the rapid blast beats and aggressive riffs. However, this experimentation works to a large extent, with Sing For The Dead treading the fine line between brilliance and ridiculous, building to a marvellous crescendo of vocals delivered with surgical precision by Seregor. Fans of the faster and more direct aspect of this band's sound will find Charlie and In De Naam Van De Duivel to their taste, with both featuring brilliant riffs and aggressive drumming. Charles Francis Coghlan is an interesting number, being both long and creative, with far more riffs and changes in sound than one would expect from this band. Pitch Black Box is a song that feels as close to a radio friendly black metal song as one will see, marking itself out as probably the weakest moment of the album, yet is ultimately listenable. This whole package is complemented nicely by a razor sharp production, ensuring that every note rings out as clear as crystal.

This record is not without its flaws. It is rather long, and at certain points it loses a sense of flow. Blood Queen and The Possession Process are rather irrelevant, and could have been cut, whilst the aforementioned Pitch Black Box just feels out of place here. These three songs are all solid in their own right, but interrupt the flow of the album and cause it to feel a little stagnant prior to the brilliance of the closing track. This slight dip in focus causes it to rightly be regarded as their weakest album, but these are flaws that can he ignored in favour of the fantastic music that one can hear for the vast majority of its runtime. Carach Angren take the listener on a journey, and this is a horrifying journey that feels like a one-off experiment that actually worked.

Slayer God Hates Us AllGiggs Walk In Da Park
Murderdolls Beyond The Valley of the MurderdollsKylie Minogue Disco
Black Stone Cherry The Human ConditionCKY Volume 1
2.9
good
draffy613 (4.5)
A Black Metal album that blends modern core elements with the more traditional, symphonic blackened ...

September 29th 2020

I'm aware that this is regularly seen as a weak effort, but theres a lot of fun to be had here

September 30th 2020

Semi-decent-ish enough review for an album without actually saying a lot about the album in question. There's a lot here to be picked apart, particularly in the sweeping statements, lack of example and basic conversationalist tone. I'd be more inclined to agree with this block of text if it:
a] had more substance:

Based on what exactly? Did the label not promote the release before the date? Were their any singles, interviews, artwork teases..... what exactly does the promotion of the record have to do in regards of quality? Is it better because it fell 'into obscurity'? There's a lot to work with here and the direction of content is yours for the choosing.

The first sentence is the statement, the second should follow with a how or a why without falling into a textbook wikipedia description of the album's sound.

Reffering to the sweeping statement issues I mentioned earlier.

September 30th 2020

and b] showed a higher level (if at all) proofing:

There's some chunky sentences here. Cutting back on some of the sweeping adjectives and comma usage would see some strong points and descriptions, but they're hidden in a pool of over the top descriptions and [almost] "look at me, I'm smart using words".

to a large extent,

Larger?

That aside there's a great deal to improve on here. This is less an attempt at slapping you with a stick (let's face it, it's the internet) and you can take some of this on board or none of it. If you do take this advice to heart I'd take some time to read some of the staff's reviews - look for their use of flow, grammar, and descriptions. Read your review back to yourself like a speech (if it sounds funky out loud, chances are it's worse on a screen). A reader may not link one idea to the next in the same way a writer does (this comes back to the examples point I made earlier).

Keep writing and don't be afraid to reach out to others if you're looking to 'up' your review game.

September 30th 2020

Cheers Nocte. I've gotta be honest your own reviews are far from flawless but you're a better writer than me so cheers for the feedback

FellHanded

Oh shit

Digging: Nothing - The Great Dismal

Okay man.

I should clarify before something gets sour in here; I know I'm not the greatest writer to grace this site (far fucking from it) - but I dug in and put some work in to get to where I am now. To that extent, if I can throw a couple of pointers to newer faces of the sput community there's huge potential for growth, not only for the individual, but also the site as a whole.

The yearly promotion cycle also has its appeal, you may or may not want to be a contributing reviewer or staff on the site and that's completely up to you. If that's the case, taking pot shots at those helping you isn't going to appeal in a larger scope.

TheNotrap
October 1st 2020

Good jam, I'm glad the album is having some love. Pos'd

Digging: Fractal Generator - Macrocosmos

October 1st 2020

Sorry if it read that way Nocte, I genuinely didn't mean it to. What I meant is that everyone has room for improvement and I appreciate the feedback and hope I can give you some one day. Really really sorry it read that way