Ball
Like You Are…I Once Was…Like I Am – You Will...

by Grumpy USER (27 Reviews)
August 22nd, 2020 | 21 replies

Release Date: 08/14/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is what you get if you cross acid rock from the '60s with some Black Sabbath and a little touch of blues rock. But, wait: this is from 2020!

Last year I had the opportunity to take a rock history course at university, which especially focused on the musical trends '60s and the early '70s. And most interestingly, nowadays we are witnessing the "revival" of that kind of music. Lately many great rock bands have been appearing in the underground, releasing excellent material which respectfully brings back that specific and iconic sound. As I noticed, Sweden is on the top of producing bands with this kind of aim, and the huge amount of old-school-worshipping releases coming out these days is incredible.

Ball is one of those Swedish bands whose sound equals to a journey back in time, and in Like You Are… I Once Was… Like I Am – You Will Never Be they managed to push this vibe even further. Right at the start, 'Satan's Wish' hits the listener with rusty-tasty fuzz and a sweet old-school aura, and recreates the sound of a dusty old Taste vinyl which was laying around in your attic since 1969. And that's really impressive studio-work re-creating that sound so perfectly. Beyond the tasty aesthetics, it is not hard to notice the various influences behind this album, which include blues rock by Rory Gallagher, the haunting occult vibes by good ol' Black Sabbath and the mesmerizing and vivid '70s psychedelic rock sound. However, the "rusty" vocals, the occult-centered lyrical content, and the combination of these more or less different trends and influences somewhat gives a modern edge to this album - like a new flavour. Even though this kind of imagery wasn't strange back then, it is distinctive enough to make it clear to the listener that this album is a product of our modern times.

Like You Are… I Once Was… Like I Am – You Will Never Be is a simply amazing fuzzy psychedelic rock journey, and like a musical gateway between the past and the present, it has the potential to please music lovers both old and young.

System of a Down Protect The Land/Genocidal HumanoidzStriges Verum Veterum
Isengard VårjevndøgnCult of Frey By The Blood of Odin: Part 1 - Midgard
Nargaroth HerbstleydHavukruunu Uinuos Syömein Sota
recommended by reviewer
Taste Taste
Black Sabbath Black Sabbath

August 22nd 2020

Bandcamp page: https://ball666.bandcamp.com/album/like-you-are-i-once-was-like-i-am-you-will-never-be

Digging: Deafheaven - 10 Years Gone

Minushuman24

this sounds super promising

Digging: The Menzingers - Hello Exile

Ashtiel
August 22nd 2020

sampled "Black Magic" and goodness I don't think I've heard a bass line that fucking sleazy in a good while. definitely checking this.

riffariffic7
August 22nd 2020

Haven't heard this yet, but that cover is pretty damn incredible. Might have to listen to this later today. For now, this was a decent review, Grumpy, and here's a "Yes" from me.

Voivod
August 22nd 2020

The groove of this band is beyond description.

Short and sweet review, pos.

Digging: Terrorpy - Stuffing Puke Into The Sockets

JesperL
August 23rd 2020

1910 Comments

neat review! that rock history course sounds really interesting as well tbh

Digging: Palm Reader - Sleepless

Pangea
August 23rd 2020

the vocals are not my thing but otherwise this is good

Digging: Kvelertak - Kvelertak

AsleepInTheBack
August 24th 2020

you sold this with that summary

Storm In A Teacup
August 24th 2020

Supersnake is another band with an album recently that very much fit the bill this review is selling. Good review!

Thanks for the feedback bros! And I'll definitely check Supersnake! ;]

Storm In A Teacup
August 24th 2020

I spelled it wrong fyi! Super Snake lol their album Leap of Love is the one you want!!!

20069 Comments

Oooh this sounds great garas! Lovely review too, nice and short.

20069 Comments

Garas this was crazy good. Loved the riffs, the drumming, the bass, the vox, the catchiness, everything basically. Thanks for promoting this with your review!

Just finished my first listening session, going back in for the second one right away!

Hell yesssss!!

August 25th 2020

Artwork is sweet. Review is nice too, although it's a bit surface level in the sense that the main thing I got from this is that it's a 60's/70s rock revival record. I mean maybe that's all I needed to know, lol. Nice work either way.

Digging: ManDancing - The Good Sweat

farmerobama
August 25th 2020

Really fun little record. I'm glad they kept it at about half an hour, I think if the running time was at 50 or 60 minutes the sound that they're riding could get boring pretty fast, but like this it's short and to the point. Great record, great review.

Digging: Methadone Skies - Enter the Void (2020)

20069 Comments

Yeah, exactly! A short and sweet record, they didn't overdo it.

August 25th 2020

Heyyyy Sowing! Thanks for the feedback. I tried to keep it short, because Ball is a simple band: this is bluesy acid rock with hedonistic and occult lyrics - accompanied by the exact fuzzy sound of the '70s.

"A short and sweet record, they didn't overdo it." [2] Trifo knowsssss it!

DDDeftoneDDD
August 27th 2020

Interesting

Digging: Antestor - Martyrium

August 28th 2020

The cassette tape is sweet af.