100 Gecs
1000 Gecs and the Tree of Clues

1.0
awful

by Jeffery J. Bigglestein USER (36 Reviews)
July 14th, 2020 | 286 replies

Release Date: 07/10/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Post Ironic Ironic Music

In certain circles of music theory the term “experimental” has a double meaning. 30% of “experimental music” is interesting, thought provoking, and creative works of art that help redefine genres and challenge listener expectations. The other 70% is just trash music that is using the “experimental” label to try and cower from the fact that the music is rather unlistenable. These projects usually come with a debate over “is this ironic/a joke” and/or “you wouldn’t understand this music is too advanced for you”. With 1000 Gecs and the Tree of Clues, Dylan Brady and Laura Les firmly plant themselves in the latter group. A meme that was funny for three seconds has now just become stale, overproduced, and not even comically bad but just bad because that would insinuate that I felt anything except pain while listening to this record. This is Speedin Bullet 2 Heaven level bad but I’d rather listen to SB2H a million times more than this because at least there were a few good tracks and the bad tracks made me laugh. This record is the result of running SB2H’s worst tracks through a broken Zapp & Rodger vocoder, speeding it up 3 times, turning the distortion up by 4 or 5 times, and calling it a day. I only knew this album existed because someone at a 4th of July party I went to got his aux privileges revoked for playing “Stupid Horse (remix)” (everyone looked at him funny and he just sat in the corner on his phone the rest of the party lol). When I listened to G-Eazy’s Everything’s Strange Here I assumed it would easily win worst album of the year but 100 Gecs have put in significant effort to try and win that title themselves. Let’s take an analysis to see why this project is a comprehensive trainwreck.

This album has NINETEEN GODDAMN TRACKS. A long running time can compliment and benefit a strong album, but with an album such as 1000 Gecs and the Tree of Woe this just amplifies the problems. Out of these 19 tracks, just one is listenable. Notice how I avoid using the word “good” or “enjoyable”. I choose the word listenable because it means I would not turn off the song instantly if it came on. This song of course is the ringtone remix with Charli XCX, Kero Kero Bonito, and Rico Nasty. Rico and Charli at least try to prop the ad-libbed and muddled instrumentals up, while KKB phones in one of her most unenergetic and half-cooked verses I’ve ever hear. I like KKB a lot especially her crossover with Macross 82-99 so it was quite disappointing to see her flop here. Sarah Bonito’s biggest strength as a musician is her ability to set the mood for a song, and convey emotions, but here she does neither. Other than that there are a few flashes in the pan instrumental wise but the songs move so fast and switch beats so often that it’s hard to stay invested in any of the material 100 gecs throw at you. Perhaps the reason why KKB failed to set the mood for her feature is that none of these songs really have “moods” or “emotions”. These beats are so fast paced and all over the place that it feels more like an ADHD patient replaced his meds with cocaine. It’s impressive how 100 gecs provide this rush of energy but completely fail to pack it with any sort of charm or “it factor”. Imagine if dragonforce just played random notes for their guitar solos, had people singing with horrible nightcore level autotune, and sped it up by 2 and called it “unironic art”, that’s what this project would be.

The production on this project is ear wrenchingly bad 90% of the time. There are some obnoxiously high EQ’s just serve to damage your eardrums and make you regret living. There are a few times where 100 gecs come close to accidentally making decent music, but with the high amount of beat changes and just unlistenable automated garbage it just leads to an incoherent and puzzling experience for the listener. Industrial and electronic music has been done so much better. Some tracks like “800db cloud” come off like rejected tracks off Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites. For the record I don’t even hate dubstep I liked bangarang and SMNS so piss off if you’re just going to use the lame argument of “ugh he’s too simple minded he wouldn’t understand 100 gecs if he doesn’t like electronic music or dubstep”. The “ringtone (umru remix)” (YES WE GOT MULTIPLE REMIXES OF THIS FUCKING STUPID SONG JESUS CHRIST WHO WASTES THEIR TIME MAKING THIS OR LISTENING TO THIS) is so fucking inarticulate and sloppy. Plus, if you’ve heard Charli XCX’s How I’m Feeling Now you would realize, huh, this is just 100 gecs minus all the mumbo jumbo and unlistenable shit. The formula for 1000 gecs and the tree of garbage is “sped up song with high pitch quirky eq”. These songs are meant for the “XD RAWR oWo :3” crowd except not even that crowd would want to listen to this mumbo jumbo. This is just nightcore and not even well done nightcore like just listen to Chocolate Dancing and listen to this. Why do 100 gecs think they've invented shitty weeb nightcore this has been a thing since the early Youtube Poop days. Fucking lame.

Overall 100 gecs and the tree of crap is pretty trash, however a common defense of this album is that “100 gecs are just having fun and this is meant to be a joke”. However I think the biggest L I have to give to 100 gecs is that they think this is groundbreaking and “serious art”, and that if you enjoy it ironically or think it’s a joke “you don’t understand us”. Anthony Fantano (who gave Swimming by Mac Miller a 3 so that should tell you how good his music taste is) likes it so his drone fanbase just parrots whatever he says and gives 100 gecs a pass. I would bet money that his fanbase probably haven’t listened to any 100 gecs just like how they claim to be Death Grips fans but cant name a DG song besides Guillotine or Get Got. The only people on sputnik who like 100 gecs are trolls and haters like ryus and shiternet. If ryus and that fat headed, flaming hot cheeto munching nerd sinternut liked my music and nobody else did I would quit making music and recognize I failed not only as an artist but a human being. Like I said 100 gecs think they're innovators and experimental but the only thing they're experimenting with is how low of a score they can get on my review.

If you enjoy listening to 51 minutes of autotuned, mechanized, synthesized, unnatural, electronic, full metal garbage this album (which is just a cash grab remix lp of an already cringe record) is for you. Other wise I would advise spending your time listening to something actually good like Jay Electronica or Death Grips if you want to listen to something experimental and industrial. Ironically Charli XCX who features on this album has done this 100 gecs sound way better than the gecs do on her album How I’m Feeling Now. 1000 gecs and the tree of failure actually beats out G-Eazy’s ESH for worst album of the year because G-Eazy at least made me giggle and it was short. This is just so long like who would fucking waste an hour listening to this. This is the musical equivalent of a foot fetish because its really cringe (sorry sinternet I’m not trying to kink shame you). 100 gecs not only beat out G-Eazy but this is close to J Cole 4 your eyez only level bad. Actually the comparisons are pretty similar both are pretentious artists with horrible fanbases making garbage music. However 4 Your Eyez Only gets a 0.5/5 while this gets a 1/5 because while 1000 gecs and the tree of shit is fucking ass cheeks, j cole's work is a perfect representation of everything wrong with a genre while 100 gecs is just a stupid fat headed band that should be ignored and forgotten to the enamels of time. 100 gecs fans stay mad but this project sucks eggs and you should feel bad if you like it.

Joji NectarToro Y Moi Live From Trona

1000 gecs

100 Gecs

dedex
July 14th 2020

man im wondering how come you can get neg'd so fast

like this review is up, and poof one neg is already there

you gotta lotta enemies

Digging: The Ocean - Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic | Cenozoic

JohnnyoftheWell
July 14th 2020

"These projects usually come with a debate over “is this ironic/a joke” and “you wouldn’t understand this music is too advanced for you”"

gonna make the decision to take this seriously enough to point out that since literally no-one is pulling the latter line for this project your and is misplaced

not sure if a misplaced and is neg-worthy, so ig i'll have to find out

Digging: Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist

July 14th 2020

yes 100 gecs fans will be mad i spoke the truth. this neg was up within the first 5 views so i think someone just saw that it was a bigglestein review and negged like they always do.

probably snake and his alt/bot/hacker army tbh

AsleepInTheBack
July 14th 2020

Citation required for the claim that precisely 70% of the music that you personally regard as falling under the exceptionally loose label of 'experimental' (or that claims to fall within the term's remit) is objectively "trash".

^ here is your citation https://imgur.com/a/1MFgjld sorry i rounded its 29%

dedex

> https://imgur.com/a/1MFgjld

fair enough

also changed the "and" to "and/or" fixed

AsleepInTheBack
July 14th 2020

Thank you, my concerns were unwarranted, please accept my apologies.

JohnnyoftheWell
July 14th 2020

ok you have repelled a neg, congratulations

i want to listen to this and write a buzzy review dunking on the lame people involved with this, praising the cool ones and hyping the meme but fuck me if 51mins of gecs sounds like a lot

July 14th 2020

also yes i will admit i liked gecs at first but it got super old super fast which is why a nearly hour long project like this plays to 1000 gecs weakness....it's like the michael bay of music lol

July 14th 2020

When I first listened to the 100 gecs album i thought heh its just a silly and stupid parody of nightcore/dubstep then I was like oh no they're serious and they just kept shitting out headache inducing music.

Joeman82
July 14th 2020

This review radiates small truck energy Jeffery

thanks 100 gecs sucks

TheSpirit
July 14th 2020

i kind of jumped on the gecs train a bit late, so i get what you're saying in terms of the way people explaining they like this (ironically, it's just fun, etc...) but i genuinely think they are genius. i just love how they mash together every hype, up and coming sound of the last 20 years. not always cohesive, but i don't mind. these versions aren't as good as the originals but they're not bad. review is.... angry. not going to pos or neg.

Digging: Cryptic Shift / Replicant / Inoculation / Astral Tomb - Chasm of Aeons

Bedex

https://imgur.com/a/1MFgjld outstanding move

Digging: Future - EVOL

Mort.
July 14th 2020

'yes 100 gecs fans will be mad i spoke the truth'

a true hero

July 14th 2020

thanks i mean its just citing facts gotta stay correct out here.

July 14th 2020

i will remember the 100 gecs fans and trolls who hate me and neg me cause they cant stand im right when i become contributor

Sinternet
July 14th 2020

daily retard neg coming through

Mort.
July 14th 2020

whoa there bud, thats nots a good word