Mike Shinoda
Dropped Frames, Vol. 1

by Simon K. STAFF
July 11th, 2020 | 16 replies

Release Date: 07/10/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Opening new doors.

I really admire Mike as a person; throughout his entire career he’s had an uphill struggle with garnering the credits he’s rightfully owed. Even now, I still don’t think he quite gets the recognition he deserves for his works, and I feel to some degree that’s precisely what keeps him so sharp today. Yet the fact endures, more so today than ever before: Mike Shinoda is an incredibly effective songwriter. It’s easy to overlook his potent writing prowess when Chester was singing over his compositions, but now that Mike has taken the reins and gone out into the open world as a solo artist, there’s no such excuse to overlook his abilities. Indeed, if Fort Minor’s exceptional debut album wasn’t enough to convince you of his writing chops, the number of engagingly experimental soundtracks he’s composed in the past, or even his extremely resilient solo debut, Post Traumatic, then I’d at least hope to God you can respect his deviations here. After Post Traumatic’s heavy proclamation on the seven stages of grief, it comes as a refreshing change of pace – but not at all surprising – that Mike has decided to make a mostly chilled out, relatively upbeat electronic album, one that could easily be taken as an abstract soundtrack.

With the exception of the inspirationally themed “Open Door”, which challenges any detractor’s opinions on ambition, this album is devoid entirely of vocal work, leaving only Mike’s skillset on the open stage. The lean run time coupled with the excellently developed production ensures that Dropped Frames Vol. 1 says what it needs to before any kind of boredom begins to manifest itself. The artwork accompanying this album essentially sets the tone for what you’ll be getting yourself into: it has a colourfully benign feeling to the way the music is directed – the feeling of exploring an alien planet, filled with vibrant colours and exquisitely bizarre creatures, as tracks like “Doodle Buzz” authenticate the world’s mood with trill electronics, the static humming of synths, and the chiming of the drums while lush melodies flutter across the spectrum. It’s a brilliantly composed album that blends the likes of drum and bass, house, contemporary lo-fi hip-hop, and a kind of traditional movie-score structure together to make it all function synergistically. This, of course, is also presented with Shinoda’s distinct writing style and sound. Literally the only track here that makes you go ‘wtf?’ is closer “Booty Down” which tonally shatters everything, but comes across as a bit of satirical humour, rather than a proper closer – or track for that matter. In short, this is a really engaging piece of work that continues to solidify my adulation for a guy who’s worked his ass off in the music industry, and unfettered proof hard work can pay off.

FORMAT//EDITIONS:

The Dillinger Escape Plan DissociationDawn Of Ashes The Antinomian
2.9
good
Rowan5215 STAFF (3.7)
I don't wanna know the end, all I want is a place to start...

neekafat

Nocte

Yeah gonna check this

Calc
July 11th 2020

you can tell the guy really likes twitch with that album title

Digging: Wilmette - Wilmette- EP

Lord(e)Po)))ts

Smdh

Digging: Botany - End the Summertime F(or)ever

July 11th 2020

I haven't kept up with very much that Shinoda has accomplished outside of Linkin Park; is this a good place to start?

Digging: Deftones - Ohms

MercySeat
July 11th 2020

Fort Minor's The Rising Tide is definitely his most popular outside of LP. Other than that his only big project was a previous solo release in 2018 called Post Traumatic. I'd go with the former although I only listened to the singles off the solo record.

Digging: Bjork - Post

MillionDead
July 11th 2020

The idea of Mike Shinoda having solo material makes me laugh. Maybe I'm just an asshole lol

Emim
July 12th 2020

I never thought he was all that great separate from LP, and I doubt this will change my mind.

From da top 2 da bottom

Digging: Disclosure - Energy

JeetJeet

bottom 2 top I stop

Digging: Fleshwater - Demo

Emim
July 12th 2020

There's a place so dark you can't see the end

Eons
July 12th 2020

hes on twitch all the time, he just live streams making random shit, he seems like a chill dude. and if i recall correctly, he actually invited some viewers to be on the album, dont remember the details though

Digging: En Minor - When The Cold Truth Has Worn Its Miserable Welcome

DrGonzo1937

@Sow

would probably say start with post traumatic and this, and then jam fort minor's rising tied. it's all good imo, so you can't really lose.

i also really dig the raid soundtrack

Digging: Marilyn Manson - We Are Chaos

RaylanCrowder
July 13th 2020

The Raid Redemption soundtrack with Trapanese is his best work imo, especially the song that they collaborated with Chino Moreno called "Razors Out"

July 13th 2020

Damn I should check that, the movie is practically a classic