Incubus
Trust Fall (Side B)

good

by Insurrection USER (114 Reviews)
May 7th, 2020 | 6 replies

Release Date: 04/17/2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The path to redemption.

It’s hard to expect much from Incubus after the disappointment of their eighth studio album, cleverly titled 8. Their trademark funky spin on alternative rock was replaced with banal and complacent songwriting, rendering them indistinguishable from countless of other mainstream rock groups. In the simplest terms, Incubus had lost their soul. However, 2020’s Trust Fall (Side B) provides a modicum of hope for those of us clamoring for Incubus to embrace their funky roots once again.

“Karma, Come Back” immediately sets the tone with its dulcet guitar work, tight rhythm section, and Brandon Boyd’s signature crooning. While it’s a far cry from their early material, it’s a pleasant listen that wouldn’t sound out-of-place on something like Light Grenades. Album centerpiece “Into the Summer” shows us the Incubus we’ve been missing for the past decade. It’s soulful, energetic, and borderline nostalgic with its use of ‘80s synth tones and groovy bass hooks driving the song.

On the other hand, the anthemic single “Our Love” and closing ballad “Paper Cuts” are songs that Incubus could easily write in their sleep. They’re inoffensive pop tracks in their own right, but they fall more in line with the complacent laziness found on their last two studio albums. Again, it’s hard to expect much from Incubus these days. Trust Fall (Side B) is far from a home run, but if nothing else it proves that Incubus still have a soul.

Between the Buried and Me Automata IIBetween the Buried and Me Automata I
Incubus 8Metallica Hardwired... to Self-Destruct
Avenged Sevenfold The StagePeriphery Periphery III: Select Difficulty
3.2
good

Insurrection
May 7th 2020

this was a pleasant surprise

Digging: Cryptopsy - The Book of Suffering - Tome 1

Ziggity
May 7th 2020

Good review, might check karma and into the summer to see if they do anything for me.

SitarHero
May 7th 2020

The weird thing is I kind of hated Into the Summer when they released the single and then when I listened to this I really really enjoyed it. There was another song that I liked on this, but I can't remember which one.

Rickislost
May 7th 2020

Great review, totally agree they are hopefully on their way back from 8.

Karma, come back was a really nice surprise on this EP.

insomniac15
May 7th 2020

The EP is nice. I hope they get their shit together for the next record.

Digging: Paradise Lost - Obsidian

bananatossing
May 10th 2020

even better than trust fall (side a). a step in the right direction.