Inferi (USA)
The End of an Era | Rebirth

by Tundra USER (21 Reviews)
January 26th, 2020 | 24 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: From a forgettable venture to a thrilling experience that's well worth your time.

The End of an Era (Rebirth) is a complete re-recording of an album by Nashville based technical death metal band Inferi that was seen as an afterthought back when that album was initially released. The project was definitely rough around the edges, with a rough sounding mix; and not an all that impressive vocalist to boot. Upon listening to the original recording of The End of an Era, one could tell that (although work was definitely needed) the album showed a ton of promise right out of the gate. Fantastic fretwork and the drumming was totally on point, extremely high energy. But that's really all it had going for it, the production was really low quality, to the point were the mix physically tarnished the value of some of the tracks.

Enter Rebirth, the re-recording of an album that sorely needed a facelift. Coming hot off of their incredible third album Revenant; there was no way this could fail, and oh how right I was with that notion. The first single entitled Forged in the Phlegethon kicks you in the face, curb stomps you to the ground, picks you up; and kicks you in the face some more. Listening to the original recording, one could only expect how the re-recording would sound. "It won't make the album that much better right?", nope, this album is not only better; but it may very well be the best project that Inferi has made to date (and slaying Revenant is not an easy task). The mixing is perfection, from the drumming; to the crystal clear guitar leads and riffs, not to mention the bass playing is just as prominent of a role as the guitars do.

The re-recording as a whole is a portrayal of absolute technical death metal mastery and is better than the original recording in every way. It's grandiose; empowered; enraged; enthralling. I've seen some gripe about the drum mixing particularly on the snare, but I have to politely disagree. The snare sounds great in my personal opinion, especially during blast beat sections, the tight snare means the blasts are incredibly precise, and so SO incredibly precise at that... did I mention the drumming is pinpoint precise? CAUSE IT IS.

If you've heard any Inferi material you would know the technical prowess of this group is almost inhuman like in the fretwork, and drum skills. Guitar solos not only melt your face off, but they are also incredibly catchy. Don't be surprised to randomly hear a guitar lick from this album in your head one day and it will make you want to listen to it again for the hundredth time (CAUSE IT WILL HAPPEN). Bass is just as impressive as the guitar work and equally melts your face off. I feel myself getting blisters just listening to some of these bass licks, and especially the bass solo on The Warriors Infinite Opus (god bless this beautiful bass playing maestro).

The same vocalist that featured on the recent Equipoise project also provided vocal duties on this album, and I have to say his performance here is even better than it was on the Equipoise record. He adds so much character to the cuts, so much aggression; not to mention the lyrics alone are poetic glory. From his beastly lows to his high shrieks; he is incredibly well rounded, and a perfect fit for Inferi's vocal duties. Quite comparable to Trevor from Black Dahlia, but dare I say; in some portions, he may have trumped Trevor in his performance (sorry Trevor), he seriously outdid himself with this record.

After thorough dissection of this record, I only see minor complaints that prevent it from being a perfect score. Tracks such as A New Breed of Savior or The Endless Siege aren't really pushing the envelope in any meaningful way, the tracks seem like somewhat of a retread of the best tracks here Quest for the Trinity and Forged. Nonetheless, a fantastic and thrilling venture despite those criticisms; that was once "just another tech-death album" prevails over its competition with its incredible sense of melody; soul-crushing riffs, and incredibly solid songwriting.

Bulb Moderately Fast, Adequately FuriousERRA ERRA
Sithu Aye Set Course for AndromedaKing Mothership The Ritual
Within Destruction YōkaiThe Ocean Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic | Cenozoic

January 26th 2020

bout time this got a review eh?

Digging: Spiritbox - Eternal Blue

January 26th 2020

so hard to pick a favorite between this and Revenant... both are so good

Kusangii
January 26th 2020

This re-recording is bad imo. Feels way too bombastic and overblown, especially with the drums. The original was definitely flawed but had at least it's charm. This just feels so damn plastic. Good review though.

January 26th 2020

huh fair enough, yeah this is another case of my line "overly sanitary progressive metal", the cleaner the production of metal in this type of genre the more I tend to enjoy it lol

Pikazilla

A 5? Holy fuck son

Pikazilla
January 26th 2020

This is great stuff, by the way

But Apotheosis is better

January 26th 2020

that's a great opinion you got there, too bad there's more than one of those huh?

January 26th 2020

all Inferi is equal to me pretty much, I like this just as much as Apotheosis and Revenant

XXMurdaBeatzXX
January 28th 2020

Great rev. I was surprised this album didnt get more attention last year. Inferi are tech death masterclass

January 28th 2020

Agree, surprised no one reviewed it before this, seems to be a sleeper release of 2019

Azog
February 2nd 2020

I just don't know what to think of this frantic, all over the place, everything but the kitchen sink, kind of tech death.

But a 5, for this? I'm sure there's better stuff out there. Much, much better. Lots of it.

Digging: Lvcifyre - The Broken Seal

February 2nd 2020

that's a great opinion you got there, too bad there's more than one of those haHA

Azog
February 2nd 2020

You're wrong. It's science. ;-)

April 20th 2020

swee

May 25th 2020

My god this thing has infinite riffs

Digging: Turnstile - Glow On

May 25th 2020

hell yeah, also I charted that song on clone hero #shamelessplug

June 21st 2020

how does this not have more traction, shit absolutely rips

Observer
September 7th 2020

Ill prob give this a shot. I never heard the original and have only heard path from this band, but ive been hearing good things about this.

Demon of the Fall
October 13th 2020

20534 Comments

This is some really solid tech. m/

Digging: Shin Guard - 2020