Blink-182
Nine

1.5
very poor

by industry plant USER (43 Reviews)
November 9th, 2019 | 12 replies

Release Date: 09/20/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Remember to forget them

Some bands should be laid to rest, never to return. Fall Out Boy is a prime example of "you should have stayed gone", but with Nine, pop-punk legends Blink-182 took whatever decency they had left on California and either provided catastrophic damage to it or completely shredded it. On the surface, Nine appears to be a bunch of inoffensive throwback tracks, and for the first half that's partially the case–but the second half is essentially Mark, Travis and Matt pissing whatever musical goodwill they had left away.

The biggest problem with the first half of Nine is how lazy and uninspired it is. None of it is memorable in the slightest, the instrumental work is more of a bore-fest than your standard Lil-Fortnite-Black-Hole-X-Six-type-whatever SoundCloud rap beat, and it further suffers from delivering us some of the worst lyrics that Blink have ever churned out ("You can never block my shine / I've been lost since 1999", "I don't care what you say / No, I don't care what you do / I'm goin' to the darkside with you, i'm goin' to the darkside with you"). While the addition of electronic elements in songs such as "Blame It On My Youth" appear to be the band trying to innovate or something, it just feels like a sort of desperation move; a "we're still relevant guys!!!" sort of thing. But it's not until the second half of Nine where Blink fall right on their face and sink to the bottom of the ocean—"Pin the Grenade" and "Hungover You" feature Mark going off-beat (you've been releasing music for 23 years, how the hell do you manage this?), "I Really Wish I Hated You" is a test of endurance for the listener (aka "i really want to go listen to something else"), and "On Some Emo S**t" is more or less the band beginning to cry about how they're not young anymore until acoustic snoozer "Remember to Forget Me" finally puts Nine, as well as the listener, out of their misery.

The mixing isn't any better than the musical content—John Feldmann continues to fall even harder than Rick Rubin, and his tryhard attempts to mimic Jerry Finn's production on 90's Blink album are at times even more laughable than the band is; the guitar has effectively become a poor-quality synth, the drums have all soul within them neutered, and the bass was presumably cut entirely because it is not audible at all. If California didn't kill Blink for you, then Nine will be what does it—and even if you enjoyed California there's no guarantee that you'll enjoy Nine either. It isn't simply Blink-182 "goin' to the darkside", it's the SS Musical Fart Joke hitting an iceburg and sinking.

The Word Alive MONOMANIASuicide Silence Become The Hunter
Theory of a Deadman Say NothingGreen Day Father of All Motherfuckers
Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas HypertoughnessJudah and the Lion Pep Talks
Rowan5215 STAFF (3.6)
my shame is through...

arobin10 (4)
Well, that was unexpected...

WeepinnWillow
November 9th 2019

album stream: https://open.spotify.com/album/4gARZz9eV7zbGbtOjhVTPF?si=QhYlc2C7R3C3m0iQwxqnJQ

why

dctarga
November 9th 2019

Yeah, band hasn't been good for 16 years

DeadBitchAlexis
November 10th 2019

No need to bother with anything they did past Dude Ranch

JayEnder
November 10th 2019

Take Off Your Pants and Jacket is still my favorite by these guys. Don't bother anymore with much else.

Nice review by the way!

Lucman
November 10th 2019

Some of this can be really good but man, Hoppus' vocals and the sickly sweet production hamper every ounce of the potential it has. Plus it's far too long.

Digging: Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People

Bnes
November 10th 2019

I did enjoy nine ngl, def not their best work, but it does have some bops. I got this is their 4/5th best album for me

YeahIdkWhat
November 10th 2019

Couldn't disagree more. California was predictable and boring and I liked that Nine did something new. Best blink is Enema to Dogs Eating Dogs (Dude Ranch is ridiculously overrated) but this is still pretty good. Only Blame It On My Youth and I Really Wish I Hated You are questionable tracks imo. All of the deep tracks are solid af

Additionally,I can't believe this band gets shit on for the same reason they get so much praise for regrading the Untitled album. Pop punk gets stale after 3 albums and can only go so far

neekafat

band hasn't been good [2]

onionbubs

nope

Digging: Copeland - Eat, Sleep, Repeat

ReturnToRock
November 10th 2019

So...this is Blink's !Dos! then...?

NorwichScene