Young Thug
So Much Fun

by Slex CONTRIBUTOR (45 Reviews)
August 16th, 2019 | 42 replies

Release Date: 08/16/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Truth in advertising

In case you weren’t able to tell from the elaborate album cover, So Much Fun is a bit of a victory lap for Young Thug. While it doesn’t bear the surprising emotional sprawl of Pretty Thugger Girls or ambitious vocal experimentation of JEFFERY, what it does contain is a highlight reel of eccentric lyricism and spirited performances from all involved. After quietly shifting the pop-rap landscape to fit his own image over the last decade (another sentiment hinted at in that subtle cover), Thugga is still able to showcase himself as the proverbial cream of the crop through exquisite quality control and effortless cool. Think of So Much Fun as a legacy album: not moving the goalposts like prior releases nor stagnating in former glories like a half-baked greatest hits collection, he simply delivers a summer blockbuster block party that still contains all the hallmarks of his signature style. Diaphanous vocal runs that glide through verses buffeted by alien ad-libs? Present. Ambiguous but well-meaning gender politics colliding with hilariously lusty and sex-positive antics? Check. A big and bright union of trunk-rattling trap and radiant pop songcraft? You get the idea. While a number of iconoclastic artists fall into the trap of irrelevancy due to relying on strengths that inspired younger artists, Young Thung is still king of the hill, and So Much Fun is a relaxed but unmistakable statement that he won’t be beat at his own game.

Quality is immediately evident, whether it’s the forlorn guitars that run through ‘Just How It Is’, in which a laser-focused Thugga drops impressive lines but still can’t help but make the most memorable moment be when he rhymes “shooter” with “Ryu, Ken” seamlessly, or the Thug/Future tag team of ‘Sup Mate’, all funereal organ and hopscotch 808’s soundtracking a deliriously playful anthem housing the giddiest Future performance since he used his moment in the cultural zeitgeist to tell unassuming moviegoers to slob on his knob. ‘Surf’ bounces along on pixelated video game synths while Thug races through flows and hysterical lines one after the next. Who else could rap “I chop off the top of the Benz and all it gets fierce, they can't wait to shred, I told 'em to chop off your penis, you keeping your head” and then abruptly close out the verse with the sobering “Couple things I done seen in the dark, I know I gotta die with it” and make it sound like a fluid and genuine sentiment? There’s simply an incredible display of tonal and vocal variety on display from Young Thug all over this project, and while, as previously mentioned, it doesn’t quite reach the diaristic and vulnerable heights of Thugger Girls, these lyrical and vocal performances are too dialed-in and vivid to be dismissed as party rap trifles. While it feels at times as though Thug has cast too wide a net to create something as memorable as his more conceptual releases, So Much Fun gets to have its cake and eat it too, presenting all of the artist’s strengths without feeling like an empty grab-bag of fleeting parlor tricks.

It all adds up to an exceptional win for the restless Young Thug and his devoted fan base. While I only highlighted earlier cuts, it is an impressive ride throughout, and I could write an entire additional paragraph highlighting individual tracks and features. Gunna is almost impossibly smooth and charismatic for his two appearances. ‘What’s The Move’ packs in tropical drums, finger snaps, slithering laser synths and Thugga jubilantly exclaiming “lets get it, fuck all the skits!”. It speaks to his uniquely honed-in mindset, able to maintain a tireless work ethic without diminishing returns through diligence and something altogether indefinable. Closer and lead single ‘The London’ is a perfect summation, garnering the most memorable J. Cole verse in half a decade just by being adjacent to ‘Big Slime’, featuring a concise and dreamy Travis Scott hook, and a caterwauling Thug verse blanketed in velvety narcotized keyboard warbles. So Much Fun proves you don’t have to rest on your laurels while luxuriating in a self-made empire; there’s still plenty joy to be found in the hustle, too.

Lana Del Rey Norman Fucking Rockwell!Glass Beach The First Glass Beach Album
Chance the Rapper The Big DayState Faults Clairvoyant
Palehound Black FridayJambinai ONDA
3.1
good
3piecesoftoast (2.5)
Lots of blowjob lyrics, some good P'ierre Bourne beats, classic Thugger energy. A sugary commercial ...

MarsKid
August 16th 2019

Nicely done, concise and well-written as always. Not my cup of tea but I appreciate the review's perspective; sounds like this is a fun romp but not a careless foray. Brings to mind another album in the rap sphere that tried a bit too hard to cast a big net and ended up crashing and burning... can't think of the artist though...

August 16th 2019

Haha definitely thought of that album a fair bit when listening and reviewing this tbh

Digging: Vi Som Alskade Varandra Sa Mycket - Det Onda. Det Goda. Det Vackra. Det Fula.

August 17th 2019

this is the kind of retarded fuccboi shit that usually makes me feel like I'm losing brain cells just listening to it but Just How It Is, Surf, Whats the Move, Circle of Bosses, Mannequin Challenge, and Boy Back are all admittedly pretty fun and I appreciate that there are some unique nuances to the production besides the typical generic trap beat

Digging: CHINAH - ANYONE

August 17th 2019

I could bump those songs a few times if I was feeling extra squirrely for sure

oltnabrick
August 17th 2019

It's up mate I buck mate

I bleed mate he bled mate

Got cups mate no fucks mate

Let's fuck mate

Digging: Eartheater - Trinity

August 17th 2019

Glad ya found some glitters in the shit potsy : )

WOO

August 17th 2019

yeah seriously this is dec as far as it goes for something very much not my cup of tea

August 17th 2019

Honestly think it’s quite the accomplishment for how long it is

JeetJeet
August 17th 2019

Jumped out the window and I fled on the cops

Nigga had to run cause I had meds in my socks

Hit the rocky road, then I led em to the projects

Whole hood outdoors in the street, they tryna stop em

oltnabrick

best thug since jeffery

Yeah honestly I should have highlighted Jumped Out The Window, 5/5 song

Also sorry but nah, Thugger Girls is my favorite release of his

MELONADE13
August 17th 2019

this is certainly better upon second listen

excited cause I started to think he lost it a bit

anarchistfish

Bangs

StarlessCore
August 17th 2019

God pots rap taste so embarrasing

Album is trash dude fell off 222222 hard

Digging: Mefitis - Emberdawn

Wow you are stupid hey

StarlessCore
August 17th 2019

Us peasants cannot match your wit

August 17th 2019

I have the lowest rating on the page, dont even like the style in general, and you single me out lol? Where did I hurt your feelings

Cute calling this "rap" btw

JeetJeet

what would you call it?

August 17th 2019

Well since rap is a form of vocal delivery and not a genre I'd call it a dude mumbling in auto tune over trap pop