Glass Beach
The First Glass Beach Album

by Slex CONTRIBUTOR (46 Reviews)
August 2nd, 2019 | 323 replies

Release Date: 05/18/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In defense of the genre

the first glass beach album is a masterpiece. It is the most daring, free-wheeling, silly and heartfelt punk album since 2010, when the likes of Vacation and The Monitor were released. Before I get myself into too much trouble with this claim, it’s important you take a moment to decide what exactly genre means to you; for me, it has always been an ever-changing entity, liminal at best and quite constricting at worst. So, are glass beach exuberant, irreverent and poppy as hell? Check, check and check. Do they also play by their own rules, doing whatever they damn well please and making it stick through sheer passion and force of will? You bet your ass. Combining trace elements of punk, funk, indie, ska, and EDM into a truly feverish alchemy, I’m tempted to say glass beach have presented us with something that hasn’t quite been heard ever before. So, ya know, breaking the status quo, burning down preconceived notions with no regards to taste or acceptance? Yeah, that’s punk as fuck.

the first glass beach album is so relentlessly exhilarating because of this refusal to be pinned down. While it may get a little messy at times, it is never haphazard, and there’s a strange kind of laser-focused method to its madness. Songs are expansive and unpredictable, but the songwriting is tight, catchy and fun as hell. You never know what you’re going to get, whether it’s regal horns, triumphantly anthemic riffs, or gorgeous interludes that intertwine live instrumentation with ecstatic EDM. It’s crucial to point out the quieter moments, which are perfectly placed and give the album its beating heart; it’s not all one big party, but a finely calibrated roller coaster ride of multilayered instrumentation, deeply felt passion, and hooks galore. To single out any songs would be unfair, robbing the experience its element of surprise. The whole thing holds up from top to bottom, from exploratory acoustic dirges to ADHD-addled pogo punk. glass beach have seemingly materialized out of nowhere and hit it out of the park on their first attempt, and you owe it to yourself to take part in the grand spectacle of a band unafraid to blaze a new path forward.

Greg Dulli Random DesireLana Del Rey Norman Fucking Rockwell!
Young Thug So Much FunChance the Rapper The Big Day
State Faults ClairvoyantPalehound Black Friday

August 3rd 2019

I'm listening to this RIGHT NOW! Awesome review, Slex!

August 3rd 2019

On the first track, this is promising!

August 3rd 2019

A Slex 5 means I have to check this!

Digging: Reckless Kelly - American Jackpot / American Girls

August 3rd 2019

Not a great review but this is one of the best albums I’ve heard in years and I’ll be damned if writers block will stop me from repping it

August 3rd 2019

Basically an instant classic. Pretty much exactly what we need in a post say anything world.

August 3rd 2019

That’s what I like to hear

August 3rd 2019

This is a really cool mish-mash of styles. I don't know if I love it yet but I'm excited to spend some time with it.

August 3rd 2019

Review hints at what makes this great but it is definitely an album to be experienced with out too much forethought. Everybody needs to hurry up and get on board cuz this is the freshest thing I've heard in years myself.

clavier
August 3rd 2019

this sounds intriguing, will need to check out

dmathias52
August 3rd 2019

Well dang! Will be my morning run music without a doubt

Digging: Owen Pallett - Island

August 3rd 2019

Can see a lot of people here really loving this

ian b

this sounds like a me 5 and i havent even heard it yet

August 3rd 2019

Definitely think this will be yr kind of jam my dude

August 3rd 2019

Ian will love it...sloth will love it...lots peeps will love it...its about to be like my 2nd 5 of the decade

Hell yeah man!

August 3rd 2019

When I finished my 1st spin I thought I was on the 4th or 5th track. You really just can't tell where something begins or ends here

August 3rd 2019

But it still flows so well imo, it’s wild

August 3rd 2019

Breathes when it needs to. But it's got that rare unbridled mania. Straight exciting and fresh.

I do like the review too. You Adam Downered this bitch.

SlothcoreSam

2071 Comments

Nice review mate.

Dallas, is up there as song of the year contender.

Digging: The Orphans - Raise The Youth

August 3rd 2019

Dallas might be my favorite here

Appreciate it y’all. I was around for Downer but still don’t quite understand what that means Explode