Weezer
Weezer

by Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (119 Reviews)
July 28th, 2019 | 11 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Chapter 1: Jock jams from the band kids.

Weezer - a power-pop record often celebrated as one of the greatest debut projects of all time - is an album by losers. It’s by losers, for losers, about being a goddamn loser in a world of gloating winners. The album cover makes Rivers Cuomo, Patrick Wilson, Matt Sharp, and Brian Bell look like kids who spent most of high school crammed into a locker or face-deep in swirling toilet water. The legacy, influence, and success of the Blue Album has softened this effect, but just take a minute and listen to “Say It Ain’t So,” “In The Garage, and “Buddy Holly” as if Lady Luck never graced these misfits with over 3 million record sales. They’re bright, electric odes to resentment, hanging out alone in a garage, getting bullied, and most likely beat up. As such, Blue appeals to loser in all of us - the side of us who just wants to lay down, wallow in our own social anxieties, and watch some nerd *** like Star Wars.

It’s not like no one has noticed any of this, it’s just that I feel as if I take it for granted sometimes. Weezer’s own nerdiness and lack of self-confidence/self-awareness/what-have-you is what defines them, we’ve seen it time and time again, but now that they’re world famous rockstars, it’s hard to see them as teenagers practicing barbershop quartet in the effort to better sell a song about not getting the girl in the end (“Only In Dreams”) or an ironic look at misogynistic jealousy (“No One Else”). In other words - the beautiful patheticness of Blue is tainted by its own success. Yet, those feelings of loneliness and ineptitude are still palpable, which is surprising for such a melodic, bright, and crunchy pop album. In those deceivingly catchy hooks are songs about growing up too fast in a world where no one wants to be your friend or lover.

Blue is, thematically and lyrically, extremely insecure, desperate, and immature, but it’s genuinely shocking just how confident and tight it is musically. Cuomo’s guitar-work (both lead and rhythm guitars, the latter was credited to Brian Bell) is tight and anthemic. Sharp’s basslines are grounded and lend some much needed depth to “The World Has Turned And Left Me Here” and “Surf Wax America,” to name a few examples. Wilson’s percussion work also helps keep the band’s feet planted on the ground (whereas the guitar riffs keep their collective head in the sky) and even serves as a main drive to a track like “Undone - The Sweater Song.” What really sells songs like “Undone” or “Say It Ain’t So” are the vocal harmonies from Cuomo and company. Everything comes together in conjunction with the band’s superb chemistry, creating magical moments of alt-rock bliss. There's a righteous dissonance between the garage-ish guitar riffs and the earworm vocal melodies that's all so thematically sweet.

It really makes perfect sense. Here's a series of arena rocking jock jams, but the contrast between the pop and grunge elements further sells that the nerds are making the jams this time. This is the other, all too common side of the Revenge of the Nerds coin, where the nerds end up how they started - losers. Blue is an embarrassingly intimate and open record, which makes its success both surprising and not surprising at all. Sure, at first, it seems too honest, with Weezer crooning about problems they should be saving for a visit with a professional, but it plays to that insecure failure that lurks in all of us. It plays to that voice inside that worries about what all the girls think and just wants to play Judas Priest songs on electric guitar all alone. So, while others made songs for the champions, Blue proves the losers needed some anthems too.

Weezer PinkertonThe Austerity Program Bible Songs 1
Jack Stauber MicropopThe Homopolice Fuck Entertainment
Madonna Madame XFetid Steeping Corporeal Mess
4.4

Bloon
July 28th 2019

Part one of a new review series…

Thanks to granitenotebook.

Stream: https://open.spotify.com/album/1xpGyKyV26uPstk1Elgp9Q?si=Jv4yTQPeT-K8kJQ5mqr0ag

Next review: https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/79965/Weezer-Pinkerton

Digging: Black Dresses - Love and Affection for Stupid Little Bitches

Slex
July 28th 2019

This is the content I’m looking for

Digging: We Are Only Human Once - The Prettiest Boys in Town

samwise2000

perfect album

TVC15
July 28th 2019

The review we didn't deserve but the one we needed. Can't wait for more in the series!

dctarga

Heck yeah man

Winesburgohio
July 29th 2019

with respect: i feel like there's a dominant narrative when it comes to Weezer's earlier albums, and it's larger the focus on "nerd-rock", which is well and good until you listen to the content of the albums rather than be subsumed by the larger critical context. in a weird way, for me, Weezer's best work is lost on those who it has been decided who it is for, via greater critical context. while the review is gorgeously written - obvi - it doesn't challenge the fact that a lot of these songs aren't borne from loneliness but relationships gone awry (romantic or otherwise) and, shit, surfing and having fun, not anthems for "losers". idk i just feel like this take commits to a narrative regarding them that i just can't believe in. thanks 4 reading love wines

Digging: Zeroh - 0 EMISSIONS

Bloon
July 29th 2019

I never really thought about it that way, you bring a convincing argument to the table. Still, I stand by my thesis I think, it's just hard to not see Cuomo and company as your average geek that doesn't fit in with their peers (I speak from experience as a nerd loser).

Love ya wines, hope everything is going well for you

inkpistachio