Metallica
Jump in the Fire

by Grumpy USER (16 Reviews)
July 28th, 2019 | 5 replies

Release Date: 1984 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Lit the fire!

It is a bit confusing to organize Metallica's EPs since the countless unofficial releases on the market, which are containing different combinations of songs and using different cover arts and so on. Jump in the Fire (or Creeping Death/Jump in the Fire) is also one of these confusing (and interesting) releases, and not just because the different existing versions, but because the interesting palette of songs presented. You can find songs from 'Kill 'Em All', 'Ride the Lighting' and even from 'No Life 'til Leather', probably for promoting their upcoming LP ('Ride the Lighting was released in the same year, in 1984). Personally, I feel this one of their best releases due to the songs from mixed origins and songwriters, delivering great quality entertainment and something with an almost infinite replay value.

Talking about quality, just check the tracklist; you will find some of the iconic Metallica songs, and I'd like to highlight the second half where Dave Mustaine's strong contribution took place. The most interesting part is the B side, the last two songs ('Seek & Destroy' and 'Phantom Lord'), because: they're marked as live recordings but this is not the exact truth. Both songs were actually recorded in a studio and mixed with audience recordings - everything for a good commercial, I guess.
I don't feel it is necessary to dissect everything about the songs here, since they're all really-really well-known and popular. We all know those beloved riffs and solos, the iconic lyrics and overall that Metallica-style. The sound quaility is very similar to what you can hear on the LPs, the only difference are the previously mentioned last two songs with the "fake" live session aesthetics, which are also great, but I think it wasn't necessary to release them that way.

Jump in the Fire might be not the most shiniest gem in the band's discograpy and it doesn't bring anything really extraordinary, but shouldn't be overlooked and deserves much more attention - since it is a really fun EP, and this may have historical significance in the band's success.
And bonus points for the sick cover art.

Murgrind The Power of YourselfFief I​-​IV
Impaled Nazarene Suomi Finland PerkeleBlack Magick SS Rainbow Nights
Mayhem De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas AliveNico Georis Shirley Shirley Shirley!

garas
July 28th 2019

Positive criticism is always welcomed, and please tell if there are any mistakes or murky phrases!

Digging: Evilfeast / Uuntar - Odes to lands of past traditions

TheNotrap
July 28th 2019

If I'm not mistaken the version I heard back in the day only had Jump in the Fire and two (fake) live songs.

Have a RtL 35th birthday pos

Digging: Old Man Gloom - Seminar VIII: Light Of Meaning

StrikeOfTheBeast

Album's lit asf yo

haesslichermensch
July 28th 2019

this is the official release

The one with the live tracks is probably the 1991 release.

Digging: Mountaineer - Bloodletting