Lil Jon and the East Side Boyz
Crunk Juice

by George browne USER (6 Reviews)
June 28th, 2019 | 33 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Crunk's magnum opus

These days Crunk is pretty retro, especially with the new fangled pop rap in the Top 40, it's like the Nu metal era of hip hop. So I am obligated to love everything about Lil Jon and the East Side Boyz. All of their songs are bangers on their last 2 albums, 2002's "Kings of Crunk" and 2004's Crunk Juice.

First of all, lets discuss the infection Lil Jon spread in 2003 with his hit "Get Low". It really seemed like it's one of the most memorable songs from the top 10 radio AKA most overplayed club songs, and it's considered the "breakthrough" of establishing the Crunk sub-genre's mainstream presence. It's basically combining the pace and appeal of Dirty South, really minimal G-Funk-style trap, and really melodic shout rapping. The production choices on Crunk Juice are the most professional of Lil Jon's discography by far, however there's a lot to discuss about this album. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

Like "Kings of Crunk", the opening track of "Crunk Juice" is the title track where Lil Jon literally welcomes you to the album, which anyone can appreciate. There was a very occassional use of guitar riffs or solos on the previous album, but they're used all over the tracklist on "Crunk Juice". They're always gnarly, and there was a Slayer feature on my personal favorite track "Stop ***in' Wit Me". It's a really relatable song with amazing lyrics about telling people to stop "***in' Wit" Lil Jon. The instrumental is truly godlike, and the mixing is especially genius, with the fills near the middle of the track, the bass during the chorus is incredible.

I'm pretty sure Lil Jon appeared on the Chappelle Show which is dope, he sampled one of his stand-up bits mocking Lil Jon at the start of the repulsive track "Aww Skeet Skeet". It's so ridiculous, it'a honestly hard to believe there's so many people that take this sort of really based music seriously and ruins it for them. Just get down with Crunk or die. It's the way for a pure life. "In Da Club" is easily the worst track, but there's still a lot to love about the song. There's a crazy amount of skits and interludes on this album, which aren't very worth while, so I usually listen to it abridged. "Stick That Thang Out" is an absolute banger with an excellent Pharrell Williams feature. There's a lot of really recognizable and relatively acclaimed names featured on here. Nas & Ice Cube are featured on the last track, "Grand Finale", an epic journey through the galaxy with T.I, Fat Joe, Bun B, Ice Cube & Nas. Ice Cube was also featured on one of the best tracks, "Real Nigga Roll Call". "Da Blow" is absolutely freakin' sweet, you gotta love some chopped and screwed Lil Jon vocals.

If you simply want to hear the most legendary and memorable rap album in the south, check out "Crunk Juice". You won't regret it.

Kidz Bop Kidz Kidz Bop 4Nickelback All the Right Reasons

samwise2000

idiotican's magnum opus

BAT
June 28th 2019

awwwww no rick rubin reference?

idiotican
June 28th 2019

Rick Rubin reference? I don't know what you mean, he obviously produced the track with a Slayer feature but what else is there to know

Digging: Blink-182 - blink-182

Sunnyvale
June 28th 2019

Get Low is the jam of jams

JohnnyoftheWell
June 28th 2019

Why does this make me so happy?

Digging: bloodthirsty butchers - Kocorono

OKAY

Lil Jon > GZA

PunchforPunch
June 29th 2019

I unironically agree with that statement

idiotican
June 29th 2019

Well, a better comparison would be RZA, since he's a fellow hip hop producer, and considering I've only heard GZA's Liquid Swords.. I'm gonna say that Lil Jon is certainly better than RZA. Sure, Lil Jon didn't produce 36 chambers, and his solo career isn't as "strong" as RZA's (2 great albums, Digital Bullet and Bobby Digital), but considering Lil Jon's incredible production on his (superior) albums with the East Side Boyz, he is the #1 producer

samwise2000
June 29th 2019

"I'm gonna say that Lil Jon is certainly better than RZA" idiotican, you never fail to surprise me :]