State Faults
Clairvoyant

by Slex CONTRIBUTOR (40 Reviews)
June 23rd, 2019 | 662 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dear ghost

It’s tempting, after a six year silence, to claim that State Faults have made a furious comeback. This album they’ve returned with is more chaotic and visceral than anything that has come before, and I deemed it ‘angrier’, too. The more time I spend with Clairvoyant, though, the more I can’t help feeling that’s a lazy conclusion, and one that does a disservice to the band. Singer Jonny Andrew has stated that the binding mantra while making the album was ‘Let Real Love Reign Free’. The lyrics are equal parts starstruck and hellishly earthbound, tactile sensations warring with dire waves of hopelessness and salved with a romantic hope. What the singer, along with drummer Jared Wallace and bassist Michael Weldon, have presented is a tireless document of radical love; after all, what else could bring a band back to each other after a six year hiatus" All of this myth-building to say that, as point blank impactful as Clairvoyant is, I want to urge the average listener to dig a little deeper. If you want to engage with the album simply as a phenomenal display of ass-kicking ferocity, that’s certainly fair, but you won’t be getting the full experience that is offered here. Clairvoyant is a multifaceted and remarkably nuanced piece of art, wrestling with themes of love, hate, faith, doubt, misery, ecstasy, and life and death. At times, it really sounds like a torturous journey through some kind of afterlife; at others, it is desperately clinging to the earth, immolating itself as a means of breaking through and fostering a conversation. It becomes increasingly clear that State Faults needed us as much as we needed them, and that we’re all in this together.

The music is guided by this synergy as well, and it makes for a truly special display of songwriting prowess and affecting emotional stakes. I said in my Glassing review that the most exciting experimentation in rock music seems to be taking place in heavier and more extreme styles of music, and Clairvoyant absolutely confirms this. The album covers so much ground but is never disjointed or distracted, presented with a force of purpose that is stirring and at times downright alarming. There’s no binary here; melody, chaos and beauty are presented as one, going hand in hand to complement and build off of each other. Single ‘Moon Sign Gemini’ might be the best example of this harmonious mindset: lasting less than a minute, the track is absolutely vicious, with pummeling blast beats, hair-raising shrieks and molten peels of guitar dissonance, but it’s shortly resolved into an all-too-brief anthem of triumphant shredding and communal call-and-response vocals, before the whole thing is set ablaze by a blistering breakdown. While this sounds on paper like distinct composite parts separated by individual movements, hearing it is another thing entirely; it’s simply stunning how fluidly these songs play out, like not a single note is out of place and wouldn’t exist without what came previously. Each member gives a stupendous performance of complete abandon, and it makes the album a highlight reel of vital screamo: Jonny Andrew has never sounded better, reaching almost Palumbo levels of maniacally passionate vocals (as well as displaying a newfound skill for calm, hazy clean passages); Jared Wallace is an unrelenting force of nature behind the kit, playing with inhuman speed and precision and giving a performance that is nothing short of the genres best since the legendary The Moon Is A Dead World; Michael Weldon lays down a thick, menacing bedrock and supplies urgent backing vocals.

As stated before though, it’s the perfectly coordinated synchronicity that makes this album stand out. ‘Olive Tree’ opens with almost two minutes of warmly spiritual atmospherics, wafts of luminous guitar interlocked with a gentle groove of deep bass pedal, until the track descends into complete bedlam, whiplash stop-start riffs and frenzied drums leading the song to an eerie reprise of the opening buffeted by amplifier squall. ‘Baptism’ opens with monolithic bass reverberations, and Weldon carries the song, his playing snaking through the song like a stalking animal, setting the stage for Andrew and Wallace to knock it out with a tremendous balance of fervor and lushness. The true jewel in the album’s crown, however, is the title track. It begins with Andrew setting the mood with ponderously melodic guitar that is haunted by a cluster of disembodied voices, until Weldon bursts in with a wall of sound strum of his bass. Andrew gives it his all in this song, screaming beautiful and passionate lyrics of tumult and perseverance, turning what could be a straightforward banger into a thought provoking meditation on the cleansing rage of destruction and the toll of renewal. The song climaxes with a deluge of ‘epic’ guitar bends and a half-time drumbeat framing Andrew in a state of airless suspension, trying to claw his way out of an existential corner. It’s rightfully the centerpiece of Clairvoyant, and is perfectly situated as the album’s title: it presents three friends relying on each other to vanquish the ghosts of yesterday and build towards a new future, emerging from the blood and fire of the past unbroken and revitalized.

Kill the old ways, let the past stay dead
Clairvoyant
Cleanse hatred, let their tongues run dry
Clairvoyant
Revival, let the old wounds die

Palehound Black FridayJambinai ONDA
Glassing Spotted HorseJai Paul Leak 04-13 (Bait Ones)
Charly Bliss Young EnoughEmpath Active Listening: Night on Earth
Trebor. STAFF (5)
Beautiful Discord...

June 22nd 2019

Know some people really wanted this up so here ya go

Constructive criticism always appreciated

Will be interviewing the band tomorrow so if ya want any questions asked, let me know!

Digging: Joliette - Luz Devora

calmrose

awwwww yeah sweet review

album's stunning

Digging: Jeromes Dream - LP

June 22nd 2019

jesus christ, you people know how to hype something. let me see if it ain't too much.

first track is decent, but probably a grower

June 22nd 2019

Oh also: Hell yea my 40th review, and s/o to Athom who got me into this band with his wonderful reviews

hogan900
June 22nd 2019

YES YES YES YES YES also the Gospel comparison is on point here, album really reminds me of that to some degree and its not just the batshit crazy drumming, but the atmospheric perfection. Album really is stunning, all aboard the hype train.

JohnnyoftheWell

inb4 Hawks

Digging: bloodthirsty butchers - Kocorono

Dang OWNED

JohnnyoftheWell
June 22nd 2019

This review is nice and very hype. Couldn't get into these guys before but definitely tempted to give them another shot now...

hogan900
June 22nd 2019

@johnnyofthewell its much much different than their other efforts. Much more visceral and chaotic, I can see people who didn't like their other stuff actually get pretty attached to this.

June 22nd 2019

I’d say this is different enough from past material to warrant trying again-not a complete departure at all but more ambitious and melodic while, yeah, also being quite a bit more chaotic too

JayEnder
June 22nd 2019

Olive Tree is SOTY easy. Maybe even the best song of the decade.

And awesome write up Slex. This will be sure to get more people interested.

Digging: Wreck and Reference - Absolute Still Life

clavier
June 22nd 2019

I'm excited to see the band live tomorrow

Sleeplessness and t/t are standouts for me

Digging: for your health/Shin Guard - Death of Spring

June 22nd 2019

this was a grower, but the hype eventually clicked with me on my third or fourth listen. this album genuinely is a new pinnacle for post hardcore that future bands need to take notes from. also excellent review slex, hits all the right notes and does the album the justice it deserves. good shit, ghost pos lol

Digging: Jeromes Dream - LP

June 22nd 2019

ain't gonna be an aoty, but it's fine

JayEnder
June 22nd 2019

@clavier Sooo lucky. Moon Sign Gemini live will be an absolute moshfest, god damn. I’m sure they won’t disappoint.

I would also love to hear Dreamcatcher Pt. II in person. Too many insane songs to talk about haha.

June 22nd 2019

big papa uni, with all due respect, you're old enough to be my dad; so like, i'm not sure screamo/post-hxc is gonna be exactly relatable, or appeal to you much in the first place lol, even if this album is going to be career-defining for them imho. much love tho ;')

June 22nd 2019

Nah big respect for giving it a shot uni, glad ya didn’t totally hate it haha

Holy shit lemme know how they are Clav please

June 22nd 2019

but I like skramz and such. I really do. when it hits hard, it hits home. my main complaint about this album is that its song-writing is mostly indistinguishable. these kinds of albums can be relatable to me too, because I too was once a youngster (for a week maybe)

hal1ax