Psychostick
Do

by George browne USER (5 Reviews)
June 11th, 2019 | 8 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Very funny.

Psychostick have been active in the music industry since 2000. "Do" is their fifth album that they released spontaneously during a live stream last year. They worked on this thing for 4 entire years and ended up with 22 total tracks.

This is definitely their most "dumb" album so far, with the tracklist focusing on the most mundane of topics, which they have been known for but they've somehow reached a new level of pettiness from their first album. Tracks like "I Hate Doing Laundry" and "No Pun Intended" can arguably be compared to the writing style of tracks like "Tuesday", a love song for the most average day of the week, and "Thinkin' with Yer D", an always relevant story of a man being mindless with his sexual urges.

There's a good amount of parodies on here as well (I say this because I do not consider Psychostick a strictly parody band, simply because their discography has way too much musical substance) "Gurrrrr" is an incredibly accurate Anal Cunt parody, "Uhhhngg" is a very heart-wrenching parody of Midwest Emo (i think).

The ideas of these tracks truly amaze me with how genius they are when executed in the track. "Moving Day" is about the tension and pain behind maintaining your social circle by helping them move. "Rent in Peace" is a godlike anthem with mostly boomer-tier lyrics about the fall of video stores in the United States, with some great lines about the terrible financial troubles caused by regularly renting movies. "Stream Stutter" is the obligatory betrayal song about your friends watching your shows without you, and not being able to catch up because of you guessed it, yeah. "Uncle Material" describes the reasons Rob, the vocalist, doesn't want to be a dad.

It's a common theme in Psychostick albums to have skits connecting to make some sort of concept album (We Couldn't Think of a Title has skits following the band's challenges coming up with an album title), and this album is no different. The skits were originally recorded by one of the band's close friends doing impressions of the whole band to describe the process of writing a Psychostick song. How does this make "Do" a concept album" Well, both the album's opening track "We Are A Band" and the title track possibly connect to the album's skits, which are about motivation, making the album about Psychostick's insecurity about making a consistent album. That's my take, I'd like to hear your's if it's any better.

There's a lot of other really funny tracks on this album, for example "Adulting", a story about a man losing his job to his inability to deal with adult-like activity, "Introvert Party Time", a song about just wanting to be alone, that just about everyone can relate to.

Seriously, if you want to hear the best comedy album of 2018, listen to "Do".

Odal
June 11th 2019

Might want to break these up into paragraphs so it's easier to read

Pikazilla

Review Closed for Posting by User

idiotican

@Odal you're not wrong

Digging: State Faults - Clairvoyant

idiotican
June 11th 2019

Separated the text into paragraphs

June 11th 2019

Sandwich was a funny album

Digging: Bad Books - III

teamster
June 11th 2019

Did they do a song about drinking beer then drive a car or some shit?

canczar
June 13th 2019

Psychostick is one of the best bands you can see in a live setting.

Scoot
June 13th 2019

19333 Comments

these guys have had some gems over the years and the vocalist actually has a great voice