Fetid
Steeping Corporeal Mess

by Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (115 Reviews)
June 8th, 2019 | 40 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Something smells...

Does anyone else smell that" That reeking stench wafting over like an oppressive cloud on a gloomy day" It’s putrid and vile, descending upon the senses with a vigorously repulsive might. The smell, it’s murky, musty, and dank, but I can’t quite put my finger on it. It’s like the wafting of death, but too sludgy to be roadkill or a rat in the walls. It’s an off-putting odor that can’t be of this world, it’s much too abstractly mortifying and unlike anything I’ve ever perceived through my nostrils before. My God is it repugnant!

That stench is key aroma of west coast death metal band Fetid, whose name is an accurate depiction of their noise. If there was ever an album you could smell the vile feces and rotting meat of, it’s Steeping Corporeal Mess. Currently signed to 20 Buck Spin, Fetid specialize in showing their victims their intestines, bile, blood, and all, playing a wickedly murky brand of barbaric old school death metal. As a result, songs like “Reeking Within” and “Consumed Periphery” are incredibly meaty cuts of choice flesh, so to speak.

Fetid’s main skill, as you could guess, is invoking all the senses with just auditory soundscapes exclusively. While I can most certainly hear the crushing of bones and smell the bile oozing from a pile of corpses, I can also see the beast before me, growling a black sludge all over the ground, and I can taste the blood in my mouth, as I feel the last moments of life scrape by like a knife through skin. Steeping Corporeal Mess is certainly impressive on this end, as it takes a special record to really make the listener feel something in more than just their ears. Here, you can feel the fear, horror, and grotesque nature of the violence.

Horror is definitely one of the many aims of Fetid, as “Draped in What Was” features a synth intro seemingly plucked from one of the Hellraiser or Halloween films, and the gore-filled vibe and lyrics of a track like “Dripping Sub-Tepidity,” which calls back to the tastelessness of movies like Wizard of Gore or anything else you could find in Mad Ron's Prevues From Hell. But overall, in terms of film, Steeping Corporeal Mess would be much more at home in an early grindhouse film, one where the line between entertainment and snuff film is blurred. The blistering leads, the murky bass tones, the guttural vocals, the pummeling drums - it's all too much for an average horror experience.

Steeping Corporeal Mess wastes very little time on the biases of technicality or anything other than primal and beefy compositions that leave the wild riffs room to slay. It’s a vile listen, mephitic in nature and execution. It may be straightforward and light on frivolous flairs, but that’s the point. It’s a straight shot into the heart of cleanliness and wholesome ambiances.

In other words - it ***in’ stinks.

Madonna Madame XNocturnus AD Paradox

Thanks to granitenotebook

Digging: Fetid - Steeping Corporeal Mess

TheNotrap
June 8th 2019

Damn I need to jam this asap

Digging: Panzerfaust - The Suns of Perdition - Chapter I: War, Horrid War

Jacquibim
June 8th 2019

Bloon the first person to use the word "wholesome" in a death metal review

Nocte
June 8th 2019

I feel like Magnus used to describe his melodeath albums as "wholesome"
Could be wrong.

Yeah Bloon! Imma check

Digging: Gnaw Their Tongues - An Eternity Of Suffering, An Eternity Of Pain

RolyPoly

this has a nice cover

LakeeshaJackson

"Cranial Liquescent"

Lol, death metal song names. Does that song title even make sense. Good material anyways. This sounds like early 90's death metal. Sounds like Convulse

June 9th 2019

Nice summary, haha. Enjoyed the singles I heard before so I’ll be jumping on this when I get back in town

Digging: The Dangerous Summer - Mother Nature

speakonthat
June 9th 2019

This is a really great review, love the shoutout to classic grindhouse at the end. I'll definitely be checking this out. Thanks a bunch!

June 9th 2019

Album cover gives me the same vibes as the one for From Beyond by Massacre. I love it

Digging: Paris - Sleeping with the Enemy

osteporosis
June 9th 2019

I thought of the tomb mold cover when i saw it

June 11th 2019

oh fuck yeah, glad this got reviewed. posted this in the Tomb Mold thread, but for anyone following these new death metal bands coming from 20 Buck Spin, you want to hear the new single from Cerebral Rot:

Digging: Cosmic Serenity - New Leaf EP

June 11th 2019

i am huffing the stench of this dirty ass album as we speak, it induces decay just as hard as i thought it would.

hansoloshotfirst
June 11th 2019

yep this delivers the goods and stinks up the place quite nicely.
@adolf oh nice their demo was pretty sweet.

Digging: Urfaust - Ritual Music for the True Clochard

June 11th 2019

Yeah, it got a lot of listens from me. Nice to hear the production on the full length is gonna be pretty much the same.

WretchedCacophony
June 11th 2019

album is good but nothing special comes through to me. Still got that Tomb Mold tho

Digging: Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer I: Khem Sedjet

JayEnder

Sounds gross. I dig.

Digging: State Faults - Clairvoyant

dbizzles
June 11th 2019

Shit fucking bangs. DM album of the year so far, imo.

Digging: Fetid - Steeping Corporeal Mess