Imprecation
Damnatio ad Bestias

by Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (107 Reviews)
March 23rd, 2019 | 15 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: demons ‘n’ shizz

Imprecation deserves credit for making death metal that elicits the senses as well as Damnatio Ad Bestias does. This exceptionally filthy, blackened, and hellfire-charred slab of USDM practically oozes the standard death metal charm in all it’s kitschy, satanic glory, but there’s something more here. There’s a smell - a burning smell - something like scorching brimstone, never to be extinguished. There’s a burning feeling too, one like a fiery welt in the chest, a lump of heartburn in anxious anticipation for the next blistering solo or crunchy riff. There’s also the more stock senses to behold, screams of innocents, sensual moans of demons fucking each other, the shattering whelp of hope leaving as holy relics are smashed to pieces, the whole kit and caboodle.

I guess that’s why I was a bit nervous about approaching this one, I really don’t want this review to fall into solely the pitfall of “this is the most evil thing put to record,” but god damn if this shit doesn't sound like Beelzebub's wet dream soaked in a dark purple-tinged acid. It ticks all the boxes a modern old school death metal record needs to check, really, but there’s something more there. Hidden deep in there, past the sodomy, sin, and serpents, something special lies in just how well these tracks are written. There’s a knowingly sinister atmosphere that’s laid on in a comparable manner to bands like Blaspherian and, while cheesy to say, that overtone is fucking villainous.

Evil, demons, murder, all things we've come to expect. Maybe it’s that playing with common, familiar ground that makes this record so enticing (after all, I hardly expected to like this as much as I do), it’s deceptively familiar, but still engaging in the songwriting department, as well as the performance and production sectors. Murk is the name of the game and, in that filth and fire, is deep bass-lines, surprisingly complex guitar work, and multifaceted drum-work - all hidden in a meekly standard disguise.

Was this on purpose" Probably not. It’s more an unassuming, unintentional masking, one where a seemingly “meat-and-potatoes” sound is a lot more lively and thought out than most, which is something that becomes more obvious upon further listening. And, like I said earlier, there are vivid sense triggers are everywhere - the somewhat-goofy horror organ/steady riff combo on “The Shepard and The Flock,” the ominous rhythm guitar work on “Baptized in the Blood of Satan,” the steady, punishing, pummeling percussion on the title track, or the ferocious growls of blasphemy that litter this whole record. It all serves in building a dense aura of satanic war, the kind of which that is bloody, brutal, and gruesome...

Pardon the cliché.

Big Business The Beast You AreButthole Surfers Humpty Dumpty LSD
Butthole Surfers Weird RevolutionButthole Surfers Electriclarryland
Chief Keef GloTovenMeat Puppets Dusty Notes

Stream: https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/damnatio-ad-bestias

shoutout to bbgames for getting me to review this.

Digging: Various Artists - Dope-Guns-'n-Fucking in the Streets: Volumes 1-3

Jacquibim
March 23rd 2019

Funny, what stood out to me was how un-filthy this was compared to what I expected. I also don't really hear many Blood Incantation parallels beyond both sounding "old school".

Oh, and that drumming...

March 23rd 2019

removed the bi comparison cuz it seems weird on re-evaluation

TheNotrap
March 23rd 2019

I don’t dig the drumming but the sound is solid

Digging: Allegaeon - Apoptosis

StrikeOfTheBeast
March 24th 2019

The drumming here is the definition of "stock" albeit a bit more sloppy too. Everything else is pretty enjoyable though, and the production is fantastic. \m/

Digging: Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond the Crimson Horizon

SlicePaperMoog
March 24th 2019

Not a fan of Blackened DM usually but Incantation and Infester being in recommended makes this at least worth giving a bit of a shot.

It's dope, chief

TheSpirit
March 25th 2019

OOOH i need to check this

nice review as always

Digging: Secret Band - LP2

March 25th 2019

Thank you !

Azog
March 27th 2019

It's not bad, really. Not at all.

Also, it isn't really good. At all.

StrikeOfTheBeast
March 28th 2019

@Azog it's T H I C C though

Azog
March 28th 2019

Sure, but so are a zillion others.

Or maybe I'm just a jaded old fart.

Nah... ;-)

osteporosis
April 17th 2019

The few songs i heard were really meh.

ButtBoy
April 17th 2019

I think this review contains every known word that could/should be used to describe death metal. nicely done. I like the old school feel this has, really enjoying it.

Firedust
April 17th 2019

Desolate Shrine is best blackened DM for me. Do these guys sound any similar to that?