Twin Temple
Twin Temple (Bring You Their Signature Sound....

by manosg STAFF
March 21st, 2019 | 25 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Seductive like the devil

Mr D has always been a source of inspiration, one way or another. From Robert Johnson’s “transaction” with him at a Mississippi highways crossroads and the overall Satanic image of ‘60s band Coven, to a loud Englishman with a receding hairline and skinny boys running around in the forests of Norway, Beelzebub is the gift that keeps on giving. If not for the “Satanic Doo-Wop” tag on the album’s cover, no one would expect what is actually contained in Twin Temple’s debut; a blend of ‘50s rock ‘n’ roll and horror-shock lyrics. Granted, such a mix is a double-edged knife. On one hand, the deviation from the norms of doo-wop forms an interesting contrast but, at the same time, it can easily get cringey if you’re not in a certain mood. Nevertheless, there are redeeming features, such as the genuinely vintage, ‘70s B-Horror movie atmosphere, created by the Los Angeles duo; an outcome of the style of music, combined with the fuzzy production.

Vocalist, Alexandra James, brings to mind Amy Winehouse – a lazy yet apt comparison – and her performance is pretty much in the forefront of every song on here. She sounds playful on tracks like “The Devil (Didn't Make Me Do It)”, “I Know How to Hex You” and “Let's Hang Together”, three of the album’s best tracks. Of course, like every respectable ‘50s rock ‘n’ roll band, this duo utilizes heavily brass instruments, combined with a warm Gibson guitar tone. The overall songwriting is consistently good with only a couple of hiccups such as “I'm Wicked” which drags on and becomes quite repetitive, the mediocre Mexican-tinged “Santa Muerte”, and the trite “Femme Fatale”.

Overall, Twin Temple is a refreshing listen – a contradiction considering its content – but it remains to be seen whether it will be as enjoyable when the whole Satanic Doo-Wop shtick fades. In addition, it will also be interesting to see where this band goes from here. Their next effort will lack the surprise factor and as such, much improved songwriting will be needed. Nevertheless, until then, the combination of ‘50s rock ‘n’ roll with and tongue-in-cheek lyrics like the “Beelzebub” chants on “The Devil (Didn't Make Me Do It)” or the “please don’t hang us separately” line on “Let's Hang Together” won’t fail to form a grin on my face.

Traveler (CAN) TravelerVan Morrison Veedon Fleece
Rhapsody of Fire The Eighth MountainChris Isaak Forever Blue
Avantasia MoonglowBeast In Black From Hell With Love
3.2
good

March 21st 2019

Just a quick write-up to bring this one to your attention.

"Let's Hang Together": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adKrGyvPKZE

Chambered79

Digging Lucifer, my love

This looks amazing.

Digging: The Appleseed Cast - Mare Vitalis

March 21st 2019

This is a gimmick I can get behind.

March 21st 2019

Oh yeah, this is right up your alley, man. If you manage to check it, let me know if you enjoyed it.

March 21st 2019

I’ve liked the three songs I’ve heard off his.

Sweet!

Dewinged
March 21st 2019

Ooooh this looks right up my alley. Great review manosg!

Digging: Ioanna Gika - Thalassa

March 22nd 2019

Thanks, Dewi! I can definitely see you digging this one. Who doesn't dig some occult doo-wop after all haha.

Voivod
March 22nd 2019

Interesting stuff, good review as always Manos.

Digging: Veiled (DE) - In Blinding Presence

Thanks, Voi!

cvlts
March 22nd 2019

Heard Lucifer My Love on a random mix list a couple weeks ago. This shit is WILD lol

Kole
March 22nd 2019

These guys kick ass live. They had the whole place chanting hail satan lol.

lol that's awesome

Comatorium.
March 22nd 2019

This band is awesome love this album. I enjoy putting on the record while I cook.

ZippaThaRippa
March 22nd 2019

These guys whipped sack live. I took my mom to the show she thought they were pretty funny.

GotDoritos
March 22nd 2019

And anyway, you're a much better kisser than Jesus

love it

Doctuses

1916 Comments

good stuff

Hatework
March 23rd 2019

Saw them live, they opened for Uncle Acid and Graveyard. They put on a good show, the girl can really sing. Not sure how far this gimmick will take them though.

Bloon
March 23rd 2019

sounds like it could be fun, nice review!

Digging: Various Artists - Dope-Guns-'n-Fucking in the Streets: Volumes 1-3