Lomelda
M For Empathy

by Slex USER (31 Reviews)
March 7th, 2019 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Magic

M For Empathy is a 16 minute epiphany, an emotional odyssey in short-form. Hannah Reed has whittled these songs down to their basest components, but they sound strikingly full; quietly ascendant piano shimmering just behind resplendent acoustic guitar, a synth here, some slide notes there. It would all seem off the cuff if the silence weren't so achingly human, if the lyrics weren't so open and revelatory. 'Bust' is all gorgeous counter-melodies as Reed intones 'I thought of so many things to say to you', dewy piano plinks joining as she laments repeatedly 'But what were they?' The song momentarily flattens until Reed, now with that probing piano in the foreground, adds the transformative 'to you?, ending immediately afterwards. It's these small gestures combined with these far-reaching revelations that give such a brief project its potent staying power. Reed sums it up so perfectly herself, stating 'Much of it came to me, or out of me, out of a deepening silence. It let me voice again. It also let me not, only singing as much as I wanted, which is important too.' Despite its brevity, it is anything but abrupt, fully formed and filled with enough nuance and growth to support an album triple its length. Nothing lost, not a second wasted, the silence speaking volumes.

La Dispute PanoramaGatsby's American Dream Gatsby's American Dream
The National Trouble Will Find MeDefault Genders main pop girl 2019
Black Thought Streams of Thought, Vol. 1Straylight Run Straylight Run
3.2
good

March 7th 2019

Short write-up for a short album

This deserves more attention

Digging: Shin Guard - 2020

BlushfulHippocrene
March 7th 2019

Ooo. Really nice write-up, dude. Ashamedly, listened to this a couple times, loved it, and probably wouldn't have returned if not for this review. I'll keep going, though, need it to dig its hooks or something.

Digging: Angel Du$t - Pretty Buff

March 7th 2019

It's definitely very fleeting so I understand it not making a huge impact on some people but it just did the trick for me

MarsKid
March 7th 2019

Very well done my man. Really captures the essence of this accriactely in such a small space. Great descriptions

Digging: Ni - Pantophobie

March 7th 2019

Really appreciate that friend, thank ya

I gotta finish listening to yr dig, very interesting stuff from what I heard

March 7th 2019

Good review for being so succinct. This is the last time I'll try to sell you on full-width question marks (?) over those clunky red ones, though.

Cool gracias fixed

HypedMerchant
March 8th 2019

I lived like ten minutes away from Silsbee for 8 years until about a month ago, not a fan of this though

neekafat

ooooh looks nice

March 8th 2019

Yeah I think might be yr kind of thing, ya should give it a shot, not a big time investment lol