John Denver
Poems, Prayers & Promises

by Ben USER (15 Reviews)
February 18th, 2019 | 11 replies

Release Date: 1971 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Still I love to see the sun go down, and the world go around"

There’s a love of life to be found here. A love of love, too. Of friendship and giving and steadfast togetherness. It’s found in depictions of nature – of country roads and the warmth of the sun. It’s revealed in passionate and unqualified declarations of unity, draped in rhyme and rallying metaphor. It’s demarcated by an unwavering opposition to injustice: heartfelt, pure and simple.

It’s, erm, all a bit much … isn’t it?

Unduly optimistic, perhaps. A shoddy portrayal of life, one that’s jarring and cloying and false. A dangerous opiate – sickly sweet – catching in the throat. Childish, even. The naïve, stubborn refusal to acknowledge the suffering inherent in life and admit that it can’t be overcome. Life is not that simple. Everything is not ok. Love doesn’t last; joy is elusive; injustice is prevalent and unavoidable, says the voice in my head.

It’s all a bit much … surely?

Or maybe that’s just the charm of it, that which makes ‘Poems, Prayers & Promises’ so compelling. Simplistic as it may be, its spirit and outlook is certainly contagious – that of standing resilient and kind and perhaps even smiling in spite of it all. A yearning to live and live well, tucked between textured melodies and warm, oaken tones. Seeing the best in everything and everyone, including oneself, no matter how obscured. Brave, dumb positivity. Hyperbole, perhaps (read: probably (read: certainly)), but such is the comfort and reassurance that can be gleaned from Denver’s humble musings. Perhaps it is a ‘head-in-the-sand’ kind of comfort, one lacking realism and nuance, but that’s okay. Time enough to dwell on the world’s hardships, I think. For now, pull up a pew with John, rest those weary feet and have a sing – if only for a moment.

Converge Beautiful RuinShô! Shô!
The Front Bottoms Going GreyThe Microphones Tests
The Microphones Don't Wake Me UpPkew Pkew Pkew Pkew Pkew Pkew

John Denver

neekafat

Goddamn gorgeous review, Ben
Just love the structure of this thing

neekafat
February 18th 2019

Also, methinks the ampersand glitch has struck again

Cheers neek

I'm a bit rusty, and this review doesn't grammar, but was fun to write

The music is fantastic. John has a lot more to offer than just Take Me Home, Country Roads

Sunnyvale
February 18th 2019

John Denver rules, although all of his albums I've heard have quite a bit of filler. His best songs are top notch.

February 18th 2019

Yeah John needs more sput love, and this is a relatively filler-less offering which a few of his best ('Junk' is a gem)

February 18th 2019

Annie's Song is one of my favourites

Digging: The Chemical Brothers - No Geography

BlushfulHippocrene
February 18th 2019

I love this, Ben... Will listen soon.

Dewinged
February 18th 2019

Yeah man nice write up. Don't know if this will be my cup of tea though.

Digging: Otoboke Beaver - Itekoma Hits

Snake.

TheLongShot
February 18th 2019

Now I am a wooden indian standing silent in the raaaaaaaain

February 19th 2019

Cheers peeps. Yeah, even if it isn't your thing dewi give 'Junk' a whirl if you have a mo, and perhaps the t/t, cant really go wrong with them