Autism
Have You Found Peace?

by zachrEEEEEEEEE USER (6 Reviews)
February 10th, 2019 | 18 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: There is abundant potential here, but the production makes it feel like I'm listening to this album from behind a closed door, and whoever is inside is enjoying a great album, but It's all muffled for me.

Autism is a 4-piece band that started out as a solo project that pumped out instrumental post-metal. Over the course of three full lengths they've incorporated post-black metal, doom influences, and some dark ambient in the mix. Hearing that, along with skipping around the album a bit before listening had me excited for this album, and well, it's alright.

It has a very uneasy atmosphere, which is expected when dark ambient is in the picture. I'll go ahead and say it, the two dark ambient songs on this album, "Rememorari" and "Nycto-" are my favorite tracks here. The riffs on this album are nice and thick, the bass is groovy, and the drumming is decent from what I can tell. The screams - while few and far in between unfortunately - are great too. There's also some spoken word passages laced throughout that are pretty nice and unique.

Now, in saying all that, I have three problems with this album, two of the problems are small, and one the problems ruins the album for me. We'll start with the small ones. Those cleans could use some work. There are parts where they are okay, and parts where they aren't, but they don't pop up very much so it doesn't matter that much. Also, this album just gets boring and monotonous towards the end. The vocals get more and more scarce as the album goes on, and the music just can't hold up on it's own, we'll get to why that is in a second, but songs like "Haunting Recollections" bored me to tears. The big issue with this album is, unfortunately, it's production. Yeah, it pisses me off, because i know this album could've been so good with some more polish. This album could have sounded like an absolute behemoth if put in the right hands, but as is, it sounds quiet, muted, and confined. I felt like I was listening to it from behind a door while whoever was on the other side was listening to a great record. The instruments melt together, and the drums are far too low in the mix. Sure the riffs are good, but the production holds them back from being crushing or heavy.

It really is unfortunate, because I did want to like this album. The potential is here, it's easy to see that much, and i'm not telling you to avoid this, because it definitely deserves a fair shake. At the very least, keep an eye out for these guys, I know I will.

Hotel Books I'll Leave the Light On Just In CaseEmarosa Peach Club
FIDLAR Almost FreeBring Me The Horizon Amo
Nailed To Obscurity Black Frost
2.8
good

AgentDeathbat
February 9th 2019

After all, this band's name seems like it could be Sputnik's side project, so it makes sense there's some issues. But yeah, I enjoyed this quite a bit.

Digging: Badflower - OK, I?M SICK

February 9th 2019

I can't get past that band name...

Digging: Polaris (AUS) - The Mortal Coil

February 9th 2019

I was expecting a joke review but I think I find it even funnier that someone made a 100% serious review of a band called "Autism".

Digging: Noise - ??

February 9th 2019

I thought maybe Autism meant something different in Lithuania but nope

February 9th 2019

Like, I imagine that F#A#∞ writing but instead of "Godspeed You! Black Emperor" the band is called "Godspeed You! Autism Emperor" or something.

Dedes
February 9th 2019

Autism as a band name is on the nth dimension of greatness
Up there with I Set My Friends on Fire

Digging: The Secret - Solve Et Coagula

February 9th 2019

Man, i set my friends on fire is a blast from the past

February 9th 2019

Iwrotehaikusaboutcannibalisminyouryearbook is another one of my favorite band names.

Dedes
February 9th 2019

I really like "Terminally Your Aborted Ghost"
Their music however is not something I'm fond of

zachrEEEEEEEEE
February 10th 2019

Tbh i tried so hard not to mention the name.

hal1ax

February 10th 2019

My favorite name for a music project will always be Hentai Cum Dungeon tbh.

GhostB1rd

Autism HYPERS

Digging: Swallow the Sun - When A Shadow Is Forced Into The Light

PistolPete
February 11th 2019

I like "No Word" but yeah the rest of it is a slog. Too bad, that song showed potential.

Digging: Downfall of Gaia - Ethic of Radical Finitude

SomeGuyDude
February 19th 2019

Trying to decide my own review here. Well higher than a 2.5, but then I'm a total sucker for albums like this. Slow and moody, narrative, etc.