Emarosa
Peach Club

by Rowan5215 STAFF
February 8th, 2019 | 111 replies

Release Date: 02/08/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: wait, stay young and invincible

Depending on your musical constitution the words 'going pop' inspire either a feeling of creeping, gnawing dread at the state of the music industry, or the warm glow of satisfaction at winning over another one. If you're still angry over Emarosa ditching post-hardcore, there were countless stations to hop off this train and go listen to whatever the hell band Jonny Craig's in now; for the rest of us, Peach Club comes as an unsurprising full pivot into the direction they've been leaning since 2014. It's one part good M83 album and one part bad M83 album with a healthy mix of 80s gloss-rock in the mix, and it makes no bones about it, arriving in your ears with some crystal clear funk guitar and a fucking sax solo.

Bradley Walden remains Emarosa's best asset, a soul singer fronting a post-hardcore band who changed the music to suit him rather than compromising the other way 'round. Peach Club makes a case for him as the best scene singer since Anberlin's Stephen Christian, with a fantastic range and ear for melody disguising a fascinatingly vulnerable and honest songwriter, unafraid to push beyond the clichés of his field. Okay, so this is a relentlessly upbeat album for a time and scene that desperately needs one, best exemplified by the feel-good boyband vibes of "Get Back Up" and "Help You Out". That doesn't mean Walden has abandoned his proclivity for touching moments, as exemplified by the highlights of the incredible 131: the "Sure"/"Miracle" duo which delved into a couple's grief over losing a child through wailing R&B, the openhearted anguish of the devastating "Porcelain". There's nothing as dramatic or ambitious as the above on Peach Club, which might be for the best. This is an album concerned with stimulating as many of your senses as possible in a short amount of time, shamelessly chasing the surface-level pleasures: the unfairly good chorus in "Cautious", a ridiculously funky guitar lick where the old Emarosa would have placed a winding noodly lead, the aforementioned sax solo and other instrumental embellishments. Easily the biggest departure is "xo", which strips back to just a bluesy electric guitar and vocal and sets the stage for a diverse run of highlights - propulsive banger "Hell of It" into "Comfortable"'s sultry R&B into the dreamy Hurry Up, We're Dreaming throwback "IW2DWY". "Wait, Stay" has the high benchmark of Emarosa 2.0 closers to reach, which it effortlessly does - a gorgeous guitar lick from ER White, the only remaining member from Emarosa's long-faded metalcore days, establishes a hazy night drive vibe which invites Walden to stay in his quieter range, a welcome continuation of the peaceful vibe established on the Copeland-inspired Reimagined EPs.

Once upon a time I thought, like many others, that the loss of a talented vocalist would cripple the career of this scene-beholden, occasionally great band. It's eight years later and I'm giving their 80s pop rebirth seven hundred words, so that obviously wasn't the case, owing to the second wrong assumption I and others made: that Emarosa would only make musical strides forward in conjunction with a lineup overhaul. Of course Bradley Walden transformed the band with his arrival, if not instantly then certainly beginning with Versus Reimagined. Then the departure of three original members came just before the revitalised and refreshing 131, where the band shed off the carcass of post-hardcore entirely and embraced their soulful leanings. But give or take a keyboardist, that exact same band made Peach Club, proof once and for all that Emarosa just has a thing for fucking with the formula. Coming from a band who started by releasing albums with ten/twelve variations on the Swancore template, right now I have no idea if the next Emarosa album will sound like Circa Survive or Grimes. God knows I'm in for the ride 'till I find out.

Bon Iver i,iStrange Ranger Remembering the Rockets
Chance the Rapper The Big DayFreddie Gibbs and Madlib Bandana
Thom Yorke AnimaThe Dangerous Summer Mother Nature
3.2
good
Josh (3.5)
Somewhat of a reinvention of style....

zachrEEEEEEEEE (3.5)
Think of this album like a newborn with perfect genetics, it's going to grow up to be something grea...

album? slaps

TheSpirit
February 8th 2019

Saw these guys on Sunday and it was one of the best shows I’ve ever seen.

Digging: Arnaut Pavle - Arnaut Pavle

Scheumke
February 8th 2019

This is great! After first listen I like the first half a lot more than the second half though. I'll jam this some more if only because it's so much fun!

Digging: Cult of Luna - A Dawn to Fear

February 8th 2019

hell yeah @Spirit, imagine the new shit would absolutely pop off live. the disparity between your rating for this and 131 makes me sad tho

...inb4 toondude and the rest of the "why does everyone like this" crowd

32092 Comments

nice review

can't wait to hear this

Digging: Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell

iswimfast
February 8th 2019

excited for this. givin' up is awesome.

keza
February 8th 2019

This album blew me away. Liked a couple of the singles but didn't expect nearly every track on here to be amazing. Holy shit.

robbbbbbb1
February 8th 2019

This is a great album, a couple of duds but majority of this is a hit.

Ya forgot to mention how "xo" sounds like Brockhampton though Rowan haha

Toondude10

I'll admit Don't Cry is actually a nice song but yeah I didn't like this

Ya forgot to mention how "xo" sounds like Brockhampton though Rowan haha

lmaoo small world eh

i was going to put it in but it felt like plagiarism

outliers

I'll admit Don't Cry is actually a nice song but yeah I didn't like this [2]

got bored by the middle of the album

butt.
February 8th 2019

man, I was really hoping to enjoy this more. Loved that first single. It felt like nothing else was as fun as that one though. The slow tracks are major duds imo, and for the most part this just feels like one step above Maroon 5. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow and see if it grows

TheSpirit
February 8th 2019

@Rowan - I was pretty out of it this morning, but just read the review and as per usual, super good! I'm really glad you liked this. I honestly haven't listened to 131 since it came out (though I do still jam "Cloud 9" pretty frequently) but I just remember thinking it was very bland. Like you said in the review, Bradley is EASILY one of the best scene singers, and I feel like that album didn't do him justice. Maybe I'll give it another listen though since you think so highly of it ;]

February 8th 2019

Cloud 9 is actually my least favourite on there lol - One Car Garage, Sure, Young Lonely and the closer are some of my favourite shit since Anberlin broke up tho

Bradley definitely sounds better on here, but the lyrics and the album-wide themes on 131 were more interesting to me, so idk

Hellscythe

album cover reminds me of Duran Duran's Rio

Digging: Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell

theacademy

holy shit

karpatfalvi
February 8th 2019

Melodrama suits them well, I don't really think this is as upbeat and happy as they are trying to sell it. Their style remains the same at the core, only it's now underneath this 'feelgood' shroud

henryChinaski