Bring Me The Horizon
Amo

2.0
poor

by zachrEEEEEEEEE USER (8 Reviews)
February 3rd, 2019 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A somewhat decent new beginning squandered by a band desperately trying to cling on to their past.

Bring Me The Horizon is a highly successful group that formed in 2004. They have undergone several sound changes that have divided their fanbase immensely. That being said, I think it’s important in any discussion about this bands music to mention your preferred album/era. My favorite is their debut, Count Your Blessings. Although, Suicide Season and Sempiternal also have some decent cuts. This band has gotten more and more pop with each passing album, do they continue that trend on amo"

In short, yes. This album has some very poppy moments, which I don’t really have a problem with. In fact, the more alt-pop songs on here are actually the best cuts on the entire album. The production on those tracks is smooth, the hooks are catchy enough, and Oli’s vocals are understated, but distinct at the same time. I didn’t love those tracks, but they’re inoffensive enough. Where I take issue with the album is in the “rock” songs. Say what you will about their last album, That’s The Spirit, but that album did a much better of combining their pop side with their rock side. Unlike the production on the pop cuts here, these songs are muddy and overblown and don’t go down smooth at all. They’re trying to combine too much *** into single songs, and it comes out sounding like a mess. When the guitars try and roar they come out dull and muted, they never get a chance to shine, the bass is nonexistent, and the synths and drum machines are cheap, tacky, and obnoxious on the heavier songs. The vocals" Look, I’m not going to deny the man can sing, but can he yell or scream" No, not really. The lyrics aren’t horrid I suppose, they aren’t anything special, kind of pandering though, the kids will like it.

By this point you could probably guess my favorite and least favorite tracks from this album based on what I’ve already said, so I’ll try and make this brief, medicine, in the dark, and mother tongue are highlights, nothing spectacular, but passable. The tracks nihilist blues, MANTRA, and why you gotta kick me when I’m down" are low points. The vocals on nihilist blues don’t even sound like Oli. Easily the worst track on the album, a headache and a half that one. why you gotta kick me when I’m down" tries so hard to be an anthem like Happy Song and True Friends were on their last album and it falls flat on its face. A lot of these tracks try and fail to be anthems. This album clocks in at 51 minutes and some of these songs just drag on. There are definitely a few songs that could’ve been cut here.

So, is this the worst album of the year" Absolutely not, in fact I’ve already heard a few albums this year that are worse. If this is the worst thing you hear this year, I envy you. Did I hate my time with this album" No, not really. It did give me a ***ing headache and it long overstays its welcome, but it was interesting, it kept me on my toes. No matter how you feel about this album, you do have to respect what Bring Me The Horizon has built, went from a MySpace deathcore band to having a number one album in the UK and getting in the top 500 most played artists on Spotify, no band in their scene is moving units like they are right now and you do have to hand it to them, I just wish the music they were making it big with was better. Coming from someone who only whole-heartedly enjoys their most heavy album, they need to stop trying to be a rock band, they aren’t good at it anymore, they need to fully embrace pop, because the rock songs are what drag this thing down.

Badflower OK, I’M SICKStill_Bloom Melancholia
Hotel Books I'll Leave the Light On Just In CaseEmarosa Peach Club
Autism Have You Found Peace?FIDLAR Almost Free
2.8
good

AgentDeathbat
February 3rd 2019

Aside from some capitalization issues and run-on sentences, this is a decent enough review. Pos

Digging: Attalus - Into the Sea

February 3rd 2019

Decent-ish review for a second, but I have problems with it just about everywhere. I might expand on some of the points AgentDeathBat has mentioned (plus a few extras);

You're writing a review. Questions like these are cringe to read on this end when you're here to read a perspective (good/bad) about why the music is one way or another. As a reviewer you should be answering questions your potential readers may have and expand those areas into your thesis. And while I recognize you add the answer conversationally in your next paragraph it shows you're filling out your review needlessly.

Expand. Which "poppy" moments. Why don't you have an issue with them? How does this help reflect your score?

Again, expand. Right now there's a lot of sweeping statements and not a lot of context which doesn't help you back your argument.

This also stretches into tone. There are a lot of "I's" and personal pandering within your review (which is fair enough honestly, it is your review) but there needs to be an objective side to match your subjective preferences.

Some BB code would help the review as well. Put the album name in italics.

[i ] name [/i ] *without the spacing.

Track titles should be in "quotation marks".

February 3rd 2019

Expand. Why aren't they smooth. You can mention the mixing, the balance of certain instruments (i.e. the cymbals wash out into the mix making "track name's" a difficult listen.)

Bunch of fragments.

You contradict yourself. You've given a 2/5 score (meaning the album's quite poor), but you didn't hate it but it gave you a fucking headache...

It overstays its welcome... but it keeps you on your toes? If that's the case, it's hardly overstaying its welcome now is it?

I'm going to stop here and let you have another look over. It's not a bad review but there's a lot of work to be done. Keep writing, practicing and head over to the forums to the site's proofreading thread.

If you've got any questions just comment below and i'll check in later.

February 3rd 2019

Hey man, respect where it's due, I know you've been on the site a long time. Thank you for the feedback. I agree with some of it and disagree with some of it, but I digress. Thank you for teaching me how to italicize though. I originally wrote it in a Word document and italicized it properly but it didn't paste over so I just left it the way it was.

February 3rd 2019

I agree with some of it and disagree with some of it, but I digress.

At least you're willing to take it on board or even consider it for that matter.

I originally wrote it in a Word document...

Yeah a lot of the guys here copy/paste from writers like Word etc but the site's coding comes off an Egyptian dig site somewhere so we have to do the rest.

Some of the feedback you'll get here can be a mix of gentle to harsh to anything in between. I know I used to have Dev and Crysis tear me a new one back in the day and frankly, I'm all the better because of it.

GhostB1rd
February 3rd 2019

What this really needed was another low review.

Thank you for your service.

February 4th 2019

@ghost glad it's getting panned tbh. Crazy the support this thing is getting in other circles.

Dedicated1
February 4th 2019

People really want their own hate to override the true quality of this record. This is literally the only place i'm seeing negative reviews, aside from the old deathcore fanboys on social media.

AgentDeathbat
February 4th 2019

@Dedicated: I mean, I'd rather it not be an echo chamber so I say bring on the divisiveness here lol

@dedicated

"People are too blinded by thinking this album is bad to think It's good"