J.I.D
DiCaprio 2

by Asura14 USER (4 Reviews)
January 29th, 2019 | 15 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "I’m tryna get my f*ckin goals, not a goyard"

The East Atlanta hip-hop artist J.I.D is one of the latest rap phenomenons, turning heads in the rap game with his Dreamville debut album "The Never Story" in early 2017. Now, with DiCaprio 2 however, J.I.D shows not only consistency but more importantly an improvement in terms of delivery, songwriting and overall production.

I could make a series of comparisons to Kendrick Lamar, Anderson .Paak, Lil Wayne, among others but that wouldn't do justice to the artist. You can tell J.I.D spends a lot of time experimenting and perfecting his craft while allowing himself to be inspired by some of the greats. Sure, he can rap fast, but where he really shines is the way he manages to seamlessly change flows with a meticulous and borderline perfect word play. The album feels fresh mostly due to his delivery and features great moments of brilliance and, more importantly, a sense of authenticity.

DiCaprio 2 is a must listen to anyone who enjoys hip hop and wants to support the artists that are truly taking things to another level. J.I.D still has room to grow, but alongside Christo and company has created what is one of my favourite rap albums of 2018 and that delivers in every front, even if some tracks definitely fall short and feel out of place. Overall this is sheer skill-display that manages to fit a bunch of small stories and interesting statements coming from an fresh point of view that should be able to appeal to everyone and their mother.

January 29th 2019

Thought the album needed a review so added my two cents on it, keeping it as short as possible and therefore avoiding going over specific tracks.

Hope you enjoy

Digging: While She Sleeps - So What?

January 30th 2019

I personally liked daytona better but this was in second/third place for me so I feel you

January 30th 2019

Almost done with my review but a lot of it was complaining that there was not a review for this yet lol, will have to change that up a bit. I love this album.

January 30th 2019

That's actually priceless Storm, I was waiting to see if anyone would but gave up and just wrote one myself.

(sput is not cooperating tho)

Essence
February 11th 2019

this album rules, blows my mind people aren't picking up on it

robertsona
February 11th 2019

I took a picture with this guy

Essence
February 11th 2019

i'm gonna take pictures OF this guy

February 11th 2019

I agree I also can't believe this isn't blowing up. It's almost a 5 for me at this point.

February 12th 2019

Definitely looking forward for more releases from Jid, dude is insane and has so much potential

And ye, sput is sleeping on this for some reason... hence my late review when I realised no one had picked it up

this could even be a 5 one day

LOVEANDACCEPTANCE

Th

March 22nd 2019

I honestly expect his next work to be even better, hopefully he continues to play around with his flow and delivery but also steps up his lyrical content