The Twilight Sad
It Won/t Be Like This All the Time

by Slex CONTRIBUTOR (46 Reviews)
January 18th, 2019 | 118 replies

Release Date: 01/18/2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Is it still me that you love?

The Twilight Sad's history has been an unfortunately fitting one. While compatriots We Were Promised Jetpacks and Frightened Rabbit (RIP Scott) have found surprising popularity stateside, James Graham and company have taken hold as critically acclaimed cult favorites, and with their menacing and oblique sound, the shadows couldn't be a more apt resting place. The band derive power from gestures of meaning that sink their teeth into you and display unexpected depth without overtly revealing implicit definition. With its muscular and churning performance, you can chalk It Won/t Be Like This All The Time up as another sterling success, with welcome tweaks and exemplary craftsmanship.

Lumbering out of the smoldering pall of Nobody Wants To Be Here and Nobody Wants To Leave, IWBLTATT brings some aggression to the proceedings for the first time in a while. Graham is much less mantric here, more willing to take a song by the collar and wrest control from Andy McFarlane's enveloping sheets of guitar theatrics. Look no further than opener 10 Good Reasons For Modern Drugs, which is able to have it both ways and finds the pair, as well as keyboardist Brendan Smith, at the peak of their chemistry: the song begins as a grand swirl of synths and buzzsaw guitars as Graham ramps up in intensity until a showstopping howl of "the cracks all start to show!", only for it to close out on a white-hot tumult of guitar noise and buried yelps scraping at the edges. It is stunning in its impact as an intent of purpose and a fiery monolith of a song, one of the band's very best to date.

Of course, the rest of the album doesn't slouch by any stretch of the imagination. Just as impressive as the restored muscle to their sound is Graham's uncanny knack for memorable hooks. I/m Not Here (missing face) is claustrophobic and eerie until the shockingly dancey chorus enters, Graham emphasizing his Scottish burr to delirious heights while a fat synth line strobes in the background. Keep It All To Myself is a masterpiece of gritty synthpop, storming out the gates in media res as a tornado of warbling 80's keyboard smears, caterwauling guitars and thick bass, with one of Graham's more tuneful and romantic performances. While IWBLTATT continues on with the gloomy post-punk aesthetic of Nobody Wants To Leave, its blood unmistakably runs hot underneath. It's this marriage of brawn and beauty that the album hinges on, and the band frankly knock it out of the park, yet again. Step into the shadows while they're still your best-kept secret.

Greg Dulli Random DesireLana Del Rey Norman Fucking Rockwell!
Young Thug So Much FunGlass Beach The First Glass Beach Album
Chance the Rapper The Big DayState Faults Clairvoyant
copperperson997 (3.5)
I'm not sure......

January 18th 2019

Good review. Album will have to grow on me some before I can state any definitive opinions.

January 18th 2019

To be completely honest, I keep teetering between a 4 and 4.5 but then I remember the opener or the chorus for missing face

Digging: Jeff Rosenstock - NO DREAM

Papa Universe
January 18th 2019

album is good, but might be their weakest.
the twilight POS

Tied with their debut as 2ND best for me

January 18th 2019

Debut is so much better than anything else they’ve done tbh.

January 18th 2019

Very good review. We might have a staff one coming up soon but if not I'll keep this in my thoughts for the feature.

Never heard these guys btw, I see their primary tag is shoegaze...would you compare them to Nothing? (one of the only shoegaze bands I can think of)

Digging: The Airborne Toxic Event - Hollywood Park

January 18th 2019

Sowing these guys are way more post-punk/indie rock than they are shoegaze. Shoegaze is only an aspect of the sound palette they use. Nothing like Nothing.

January 18th 2019

I might like them more then; I'm way more into indie-rock (and even post-punk) than I am shoegaze. Good to know.

January 18th 2019

Nothing is boring imo and these guys are definitely more alt-rock than them

Appreciate the compliments everyone

Also sorry Boney I think Nobody Wants To Leave is their masterpiece, one of my tops of the decade honestly

brainmelter

poz

Digging: Defeated Sanity - The Sanguinary Impetus

WatchItExplode
January 18th 2019

I guess I should give this another try. Nothing grabbed me at all besides Keep It All To Myself first time through.

Well to be fair, Keep It All To Myself is a definite highlight

January 18th 2019

Freddie, Nobody is really good but it just feels too professional to me. It’s kind of like what you’d get if you took every softer post-punk/indie album out there, fet them into an AI, and had it churn out an album. The songs are good but they feel like echoes of a thousand older songs.

January 18th 2019

I gotta disagree but I can see where you're coming from. Just think its filled top to bottom with indelible hooks

January 18th 2019

It does have memorable hooks and that’s why I rate it a 3.5 instead of a 2.5.

Fair enough there haha

butt.
January 18th 2019

Great, concise review. Never heard of them before today, eager to give this a shot

Nbehre11
January 18th 2019

Great write up! Loving this on first spin through, I feel like this has the potential to grow into a tie with “nobody wants to be here...”

Digging: O'Brother - You and I

Hope ya enjoy buttboy

What are people feeling here as the standouts?

anatelier
January 18th 2019

i love these guys but this feels kinda formulaic on first listen

Digging: Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately