Sithu Aye
Homebound

by TundraL5Z USER (10 Reviews)
December 17th, 2018 | 26 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sithu Aye creates a marvelous follow up to 2016's Set Course for Andromeda, that is just as good, if not better

Scotland based one man instrumental band Sithu Aye has such a seasoned ear for captivating melodies at this point; it's definitely not a surprise this album is as great as it is; as far as I am concerned. With new record and also sequal to 2016's "Set Course for Andromeda", "Homebound" takes a more enchanting approach, for lack of better word. It is definitely more grandiose than aforementioned SCfA was, if it be ever so slightly. Sithu Aye still stands to be music for musicians to me, and if you didn't play an instrument before giving this a spin, I would make my best bet that you where tempted to pick up your old six-string and learn some of these eclectic riffs. Because of this however, Sithu Aye hits a very niche demographic that appeals to guitarists mostly, and absolutely so.

For a guy with a masters in physics; he sure is a very talented guitarist, no doubt. His upbeat and positive drum beats and tempo's are definitely some of the main selling points of his music, but the guitars are always the standout to me (shocker I know). That's not to say that the bass and drums are not slouches. In-fact, it is of the contrary. Although programmed; the drums definitely sound organic and rich, great sound from the snare in particular; really. The bass fills upon the entire mix fantastically so, definitely got some highlights for the bass thrown in there also; for example in the track "Hologram", the bass solo is so well pronounced and has a wonderful tone to it.

But enough with these... other... instruments... let's not beat around the bush, the guitars are the crux of this record, and the soul; the core; the everything. The chord progressions to the incredible lead guitar tones, everything coming out of Mr. Aye's Mayone's guitar(s) are luscious, vibrant, and ever so wonderful. Synth's accompany a lot of the lead runs throughout the record, giving it that little something extra; granting a very cool feel and vibe. Track number three entitled "Grand Order" features acoustic guitar within the intro of this track, very welcoming touch and it fits seamlessly (nothing particularly new for Sithu Aye as a lot of tracks feature acoustic but it should be noted nonetheless). Staying on track "Grand Order"; the song rules hard, gives you everything you would want in a Sithu Aye track, not to mention the chord progressions on this song are so captivating; a definite highlight for me.

The track lengths are much MUCH shorter than tracks on SCfA, which works to the records benefit for certain, the 2016 record had a tendency to drag it's feet along as a majority of the tracks on the record simply didn't need to be as long as they where. On "Homebound"; the record as a whole is definitely more digestible than SCfA, and is a much more enjoyable listen because of this; through and through. Singles "Primary Ignition" and "Runaway Reaction" are also notable tracks for sure. As the record draws to a close, motifs from SCfA album start to become more and more apparent, nice way to connect both records in this way.

In conclusion, Sithu Aye creates yet another Instrumental Progressive record that will most definitely keep the die hard fans satisfied, but does not offer much for those who want a little more evolution from the anime loving Scot. The record is full of positive vibes and colorful musical movements, not to mention the blistering solos, a truly riveting record throughout. Sithu Aye hits more gold for his specific sound, but not everyone may enjoy said sound, and that's okay.