Ojne
Prima Che Tutto Bruci

by Brady Hayes USER (44 Reviews)
September 20th, 2018 | 39 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A Voice that Needs to be Heard

Screamo has not been done this well in years. To think a relatively small and unknown band in Milan, Italy were the culprits behind one of the most emotional, destructive, and gorgeous screamo sounds like something out of a fantasy; but those who would think that know nothing of the genre. Throwing away all preconceptions with the band reveals a tenderly chaotic tour de force of post-rock screamo, a genre so done to death but in the hands of a capable group of musicians can be cultivated into musical bliss. Ojne do just that and more, taking hints from bands like La Quiete and Sed Non Satiata, and crafting one of the most unique and invigorating experiences of Screamo I’ve heard in a long time.

Perhaps the most important aspect of Ojne that makes them so damn refreshing is the passion they put into their craft. Acts with comparable level of emotion such as Loma Preita, Barrow, and State Faults have become imprints in the underground skramz community for leaving behind some truly emotional works of art, and Ojne looks to carry on that torch. Within the first minute of the album the band not only introduces incredible throat shredding vocals and an intense atmosphere, but crescendos it out immediately into a chaotic furry of black metal drumming and post-rock guitars. Its one of many moments that leave a sense of shock and awe, and one that is later built upon by the song’s For Meg esque ending (which is ***ing gorgeous). Yet if this was an album about moments, then there would be far too many to list, because for every moment of past skramz albums where you have that one song of absolute brilliance (see Ostraca’s Nasuea, Merchant Ship’s Sleep Patterns, and The Saddest Landscapes’s The Temptation that is You) you have the mediocrity that surround it. That is not present here. Each song is its own entity, none of which sound nearly similar aside from the genre that binds them together.

For how incredibly intricate, chaotic, and beautiful some of the instrumentation is on the album; there needs to be something said about what truly makes this album so special. Ojne’s vocalist might be one of the best in the business to this day, and just one listen to this album is all the proof that is needed. His voice is its own unique instrument in some ways, its used to build upon the already breathtaking climaxes and just when you think his voice cannot get more intense, it gets even stronger. Aside from that, his enunciation is intoxicating and his grasp on language is top notch, even without any knowledge of the Italian language. The lyrics strike a significant cord with me emotionally, and I can imagine it would for others as well. The central theme of the work is of catharsis through resonance and how it is explained through everyday life, and through it comes a realization of importance in every moment that is unmatched. Reading along to the lyrics while it isn’t necessary, is crucial to experiencing the album as a whole if you do not understand Italian.

The album ends on an acoustic and rather somber note, but withholding the principles of the journey. It brings all the central concepts of the album full circle in an unexpectedly brilliant way, and leaves the listener yearning for the bands next work. Clocking in at around 36 minutes, Ojne’s Prima Che Tutto Bruci is an album that needs to be heard. Its been way to long since a scream album was this gripping all the way through, while being able to hit the summit of emotion capable only to the greatest of musicians in the genre.

Tra pochi giorni sarò di ritorno.
Non ho capito perché non me ne hai voluto parlare.
Non vedo l'ora di essere a casa, voglio sapere cosa avessi da dirmi;
cosa ti faceva tremare le mani
quando mi hai salutato

There Will Be Fireworks There Will Be FireworksYndi Halda Enjoy Eternal Bliss
Yoko Kanno Zankyou no Terror Original SoundtrackGates Bloom and Breathe
Pianos Become the Teeth Keep YouThe Antlers Hospice
4.2

September 20th 2018

A rare and rather shite review, but keep the rating in mind and please for the love of god give this thing ratings; upsets me on a major level that we are only sitting at 41 ratings for this masterpiece.

Artuma
September 20th 2018

any chance these guys are somehow related to la quiete/raein? i guess i gotta hear this

Digging: Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want

Asdfp277

19153 Comments

i don't parlare italian :[

September 20th 2018

Not related but they take influence, and by take influence I mean they expand on it significantly

September 20th 2018

@asdfp you do not need that to enjoy this record, plus the bandcamp page translates all the lyrics perfectly if you want to read along. They are really good and overall the language instrumentally sounds superb the way he sings/screams

FreddieDelaney31
September 20th 2018

No lie, I've missed your reviews, and we definitely usually agree on stuff, suuuuper pumped to check this

September 20th 2018

thanks man :^) you will prob get something out of this!

br4dl3yb34r
September 20th 2018

Love this album. Can't believe it still hasn't broken 50 ratings.

One can dream my friend

brainmelter
September 21st 2018

color me intrigued, will czech this today

pos'd

Digging: Hissing - Permanent Destitution

September 21st 2018

Pls do, not enough ratings for this still

No idea how I hadn't heard of / checked this before now. God damn

XingKing
October 16th 2018

One of last years best and one of the best skramz records in recent memory

SPREAD THE WORD LADS

October 16th 2018

I mean off only two listens so far I'd rank this in my top 5 from last year, how'd it slip under the radar so hard

October 16th 2018

its Italian skramz, honestly i only heard from it by searching rateyourmusic for new skramz to listen to

October 16th 2018

Exactly how I found it, but it's currently top of 2017 charts on here so maybe that'll bring some more people in (hopefully). Time to stick it on some lists and get the ball rolling

October 16th 2018

Already on it chief, got a big list coming up I’m featuring it in

DaveTesseract
October 21st 2018

this is so good. Wewewaua!

October 21st 2018