Grandson
A Modern Tragedy, Vol. 1

by tyman128 USER (35 Reviews)
September 9th, 2018 | 8 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: grandpa would be proud

A Modern Tragedy, Vol. 1, a record full to the brim with emotionally and politically harsh lyrics layered over electro-alternative music. Although generally grouped into the alternative genre, grandson’s sound expands further than that, taking in influence from trap, hip-hop, and electronic. Despite the obvious reliance on electronic tones, A Modern Tragedy still manages to put out some tasty guitar licks as well as some mellow chord progressions in the slower moments of the album. Mostly playing along with the melodies of the six string, the trap-like bass enhances the riffs with a fuller production. Yes, with such bass comes some predictable musical techniques like bass drops, yet the execution of such manages to keep it rather entertaining. What really makes A Modern Tragedy stand out, however, is its lyrical themes. Jordan Benjamin’s semi-aggressive vocals fuel such political attacks and troubling situations. Ranging from blaming politicians for a man’s “Stick Up” or the media’s abuse of showing the general public extreme moments to even a cry out of a man stuck in a sick drug cycle, grandson’s lyrics provoke listeners to consider such extreme, yet important topics often ignored in music nowadays. Combining all of these aspects together, grandson craft together a solid debut of modern tragedies, yet failing at times to maintain interest for more than a few playthroughs, only leaving listeners wishing for more rather than being fully satisfied entirely.

Dear Seattle Don't Let GoGrandson a modern tragedy, vol. 2
Kars Landman Everlasting, Ever-FleetingEmery Eve
A Continent Named Coma The Lachrymose Sessions - DemoSilent Planet Everything Was Sound

a modern tragedy, vol. 2

September 9th 2018

Wanted to give a shot at a short review, straight to the point and bringing up only the most important aspects of the album. Maybe its too short, but I'm not sure, hope it still gives the general overview of the EP effectively even so, let me know.

jsaf7
September 9th 2018

I'm glad i'm not the only person on this site who knows of this guy, props for the review. It's nice to see that Blood/Water is on the radio, this guy deserve more attention though.

RadioheadIsOverrated
September 10th 2018

Dude this guy is great, I'm glad I requested him to be added. Also your review is short but so is the EP, pos'd.

September 10th 2018

Thanks for the positivity to the review. Hoping this guy gets more attention in the near future, he definitely deserves it

Pagepage251
September 12th 2018

Honestly, I thought every song on this EP that hadn't already been released prior as a single was pretty terrible.

September 13th 2018

well there goes my 100% approval

anyway, we all have our opinions, but I personally thought the songs were all quite impressive and showed potential for his future work, thus the high rating

ItsTheSquirrel
October 13th 2018

I agree on everything you said, and the short review format works well since this is just an EP. Have a pos

October 13th 2018

thanks for the pos, still waiting for him to release some new music, hoping his potential is acted upon in his coming material