Young Thug
Slime Language

by posevrlord CONTRIBUTOR (89 Reviews)
August 17th, 2018 | 28 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: These bitches ain’t slime enough.

Young Thug has always interested me, even before I ever heard his music. His identity, confidence, and unique fashion taste has created an unmistakable image that many in the industry have taken note of. This goes hand in hand with the undeniable style of his music, which borders on eccentric and unorthodox. Yet, he's reached a prominent place in the popular music zeitgeist, as the most respected of the autotune emcees, not despite the nuances and oddities he works into his music, because of them. Despite the few who have attempted to recreate his style, you can't confuse the slimy cult of personality with anyone else.

Much like Barter 6 and the original Slime Season, Slime Language is Thugger on his A game, along with a variety of featured artists on Young Stoner Life Records, like Lil Uzi Vert, Gunna, Tracy T, and Duke. These artists strengthen songs like “It’s a Slime” and “Audemar” by adding some variety and keeping the level of quality up, but they don't overstay their welcome or overshadow Young Thug. As for the Thugger himself, his flow is as tight as ever, working fun and fiery stylings into his performances seamlessly. As a display of Young Stoner Life Records potential, this tape confirms the tour de force of Young Thug and company's charisma and talent, especially when working with a large variety of talented producers, including Wheezy, Turbo, Keyyz, and Smoke, who all use different sampling techniques to add a large amount of spice and flavor to the beat selections. My mind jumps to the flowing synths of “Oh Yeah,” the Beautiful Thugger Girls-esque acoustic banger “Dirty Shoes,” and the bright, uplifting progression of “Goin’ Up,” all with a thought-out consistency in drum tone and beat composition, without feeling repetitive.

Despite all these featured artists, all of which serve to give the tape more personality, this is definitely still a Young Thug release. Although the YSLR contemporaries all bolster the tape with the great performances they give, Thugger’s adventurous vocal inflections, in which he bends his voice in a multitude of odd ways, on “Scoliosis,” “Audemar,” and elsewhere are just as attention grabbing as they always have been. Unlike some of the weaker points of his career, he’s got a hungry focus here and everything seems to come together in a truly great way. Because of this, the tape undeniably fulfilled its purpose - showcasing this label as a bigger deal than anyone may have thought. It’s clear that all of its members, especially their forerunner, are witty and talented enough to continue succeeding in the evergrowing rap scene. They only speak in one tongue - Slime Language.