MouthBreather (MA)
Dollmeat

by Kenneth Timper USER (13 Reviews)
July 8th, 2018 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dollmeat serves as another tasty morsel of what’s to come from one of grindcore’s most promising acts.

MouthBreather are no slouches. Less than a year ago the Boston quartet turned heads with Pig, a blistering seven-minute EP that was as unsettling as it was pummeling. On Pig, MouthBreather weaved Prowler In the Yard-esque samples and sinister effects between tracks to create an uneasy atmosphere. While they were largely successful, doing it within the frame of seven minutes made it feel like unnecessary bloat on such a short release. With this year’s Dollmeat, the band decide to let the music do the talking and while it is only four minutes longer than its predecessor, it has an even bigger bite. Backed by some of Kurt Ballou’s best work behind the boards, MouthBreather come out swinging with one of 2018’s finest grindcore releases that is both deliberately chaotic and downright terrifying.

It’s hard not to imagine vocalist Anthony Santagati roaming the halls of a psych-ward in tattered clothing with his eyes being ejected from his skull as he belts out blood curdling shrieks on songs like “Anorexisitentialist” and “Milk/***/Dirt.” Opener “Denim Jacket” and “Feeding Time” waste no time with introductions and swell with dissonant and frantic riffing that would soften even the strictest students of mathcore. MouthBreather’s latest installment is a worthy addition to their slim yet devastating catalogue. Dollmeat is a focused release that plays on the band’s strengths and sees them excel at everything that made Pig a compelling listen just months prior. It will be exciting to see what the band will craft when it comes time for them to unleash a full-length record, but as of right now Dollmeat serves as a tasty morsel of what’s to come from one of heavy music’s most promising acts.

Invoke (NC) No Law BeyondJesus Piece Only Self
Vein ErrorzoneLeft Behind Blessed by the Burn
All Pigs Must Die Hostage AnimalEmployed to Serve The Warmth Of A Dying Sun

July 8th 2018

A short review for this bad boy. Knocking off some dirt, c/c welcome. Thank you.

SomeGuyDude
July 8th 2018

Oh shit, didn't realize they had another release. Pig was one of those beautiful discoveries and since it hasn't been that long I just forgot to check.

Maybe that's how these guys should operate, though. Instead of doing a 38 Counts or something along those lines, knock out a 10-15 minute grenade once or twice a year to make sure they're always in the discussion.

UPDATE: Album rips. Agree with the review.

July 8th 2018

I predict they’ll find a way to sort of fuse the eery samples with the shotgun blast of Dollmeat. I just find myself wanting more and more after each release

MadKungFu
July 9th 2018

My cousin's in this band so Imma refrain from rating it. Safe to say it rips though.

July 9th 2018

That’s so sick! What does he play?

MadKungFu

Lead guitar

July 9th 2018

Did he know how hard this would slap when they were making it?

Supercoolguy64

hey this is pre good

Digging: Godflesh - Post Self

SomeGuyDude
July 9th 2018

I always prefer albums that leave me wanting more to albums with filler.

Besides, if they can drop 7-ish songs every so often instead of waiting a year or two in between (coughNAILScough) then I'm all for it.

July 9th 2018

That being said every NAILS album goes irresponsibly hard. You're right though. Part of me just wants to see them drop something like Prowler in the Yard/Terrifyer or something; I don’t mind the wait if we get something with a little more girth.

July 18th 2018

Not quite as good as Pig but this still slaps

Digging: The Parallel (CAN) - Weaver

suppatime
August 22nd 2018

i know everything!!!!

dis bangs

September 7th 2018

their vocalist is pretty good

Digging: XTC - Black Sea

September 7th 2018

Mort check out Pig if you liked this, I think it's a bit better than this

September 7th 2018

i was already checking it man dont you worry

and yeah pig is pretty dope

suppatime

both r dank

good shit

September 9th 2018

Denim Jacket bangs so hard

September 9th 2018

Album is a ripper indeed

aquatichero69
December 6th 2018

I want to fucking break everything. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.