Snail Mail
Lush

by FreddieDelaney31 USER (19 Reviews)
June 9th, 2018 | 74 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I could be anyone

Lush is the encapsulation of a perfect debut, in ways both pleasingly universal and thrillingly specific. While there has been no shortage of 90's indebted Liz Phair worshipping indie rock as of late, Lindsey Jordan puts her stamp on a sound more patient and introspective, cementing her established style while still comfortably stretching its parameters. There is a feeling that there were no concessions made as this album came together, everything coming off as an organic extension of what Jordan wants to say and how she wants to say it.

It's difficult to objectively stake a review on how something makes you feel, but in keeping things so modest and insular, I believe it's exactly what Jordan was aiming for with Lush. While many will rightfully single out her guitar prowess, I think it's her singing that does the most heavy lifting. Her voice isn't the most versatile but makes up for it with its clearheaded force of expression, coloring in shades of feeling and meaning with every drawn out lull and giving real power to the more anthemic songs. Her guitar playing is textured, hooky and melodic, with brief moments of barbed shredding. The undeniable highlights come when she can connect the indefinable pull of her voice to more conventionally exciting moments; Heat Wave is properly languid and shimmering but buzzing with fuzzy fretboard outbursts that segue into a wall of sound chorus so huge and resolute, it already feels like a standard. Stick is a dimly lit tangle of chords until a howler of a chorus that swoons and sways in a burst of bright melodicism.

Of course, with 10 songs admittedly similar in pace and overall style, it's easy to understand some of the indifference the album has been met with, but I genuinely believe it comes down to what the listener is personally looking for; Jordan can shred and she can write huge choruses, but that's decidedly not the focus of Lush, and I think that's what makes it brilliant and unexpected. Variety is traded in for nuance, and it's an admirably risky gambit for such a young artist to take on a debut album. Where I could so easily see the version of this album that is more expansive and extroverted, what Snail Mail has delivered here is idiosyncratic songs with big hooks that are elemental (not elementary) on impact and in isolation but string together to somehow make the experience smaller, more intimate. It's strange to state a debut as 'for the fans', but I think that's exactly what we've been given with Lush: a singular voice, boxed into an identifiable style, but using a full range of emotion to color outside of the lines.

Mount Eerie A Crow Looked At MeHop Along Bark Your Head Off, Dog
The Mountain Goats GothsSorority Noise You're Not As ____ As You Think
Dirty Projectors Dirty ProjectorsmewithoutYou Ten Stories
DropTune (3.5)
'Lush' lives up to its name boasting a simplistic array of colorful textures and down-to-earth story...

Habit

June 9th 2018

As usual I pretty much didn't even talk about the music but I think this is a special album and wanted to talk about it so w/e

Digging: Petal - Magic Gone

22026 Comments

"while still comfortably stretching its parameters." - how? think an extra sentence explaining how this album stretches the already established style would be helpful here

the first sentence in the 2nd para I'd cut down considerably...

and yeah not a lot of music description, I think if u wanna keep it light try describing one song since they all sound p similar.

overall good lil rev and good lil album, pos

Digging: Melody's Echo Chamber - Bon Voyage

Didn't even realize the first sentence in the 2ND para goes that long lmao

Tbh I'm gonna add another paragraph about specific songs soon but I'm in a bit of a hurry and wanted to get this review out while I had the energy to write

Appreciate the cc and praise as always tho!

22026 Comments

ofc bud, def wanna get ya writing more

TheSpaceMan
June 9th 2018

pos'd, yea i was gonna say the review is wonderfully written but i have no idea what it sounds like, ya know?

June 9th 2018

Wish I could keep it steady lol, I was working on a Neko Case review but got busy and then this surpassed it for me

Until I add the para talking about songs, RIYL: Dream pop, textures, big riffs, pretty female voices with swagger, and yes Liz Phair

June 9th 2018

Very good review for being so concise

Digging: Ben Howard - Noonday Dream

June 9th 2018

Paragraph talking about actual music/songs added

Appreciate it Sowing!

neekafat
June 9th 2018

These features look so pretty together

Ooo dang true

hey we buddies Freddie (:

June 9th 2018

Definitely honored to share the front page with ya

Papa Universe

rekt

hal1ax

Does this gayze?

June 9th 2018

Imo it gazes a pretty good amount, Heat Wave's chorus definitely does

Dewinged
June 9th 2018

Good review Freddie, I just listened to a couple of tracks and found it a bit underwhelming though, gotta jam the rest to see if I can salvage anything.

Digging: Mourn (SPA) - Sorpresa Familia

DropTune
June 9th 2018

Nice one Freddie, glad you enjoyed the album. I mentioned you in my review of Lush should you decide to check it out. I didn't share the same emotional experience you did, but it's certainly an above average indie rocker worthy of your time. Take a pos.

June 9th 2018

Oh shit, really appreciate it my friend!!

I really think this will be a grower for people who weren't already fans from the EP @Dewinged