Suki Rae and Company
Can't Stop Now

by ljubinkozivkovic USER (84 Reviews)
June 5th, 2018 | 2 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What is the thing that is frustrating the most about a certain album? Usually it is not the fact that is truly awful or just bland, because then you are sure you will certainly not play it again unless you are forced to do so. The most frustrating thing i

What is the thing that is frustrating the most about a certain album" Usually, it is not the fact that is truly awful or just bland, because then you are sure you will certainly not play it again unless you are forced to do so. The most frustrating thing is that there are elements or songs on it that make it an enjoyable experience, while there are others that are simply irritating enough that make you feel like you are handling a broken vase that has been pieced up together, but you can certainly feel the creases and it somehow feels crooked.

That is the feeling I have with Suki Rae and Company and her/their album Can’t Stop Now. Essentially the music and the playing throughout are quite accomplished and at moments inspiring. Suki herself is a good vocalist and an even better flute player, and the accompanying players and vocalists also come with some good musicianship. The songwriting itself, quite inspired by the hippie era interpretations of soul and gospel, all by Suki is at moments really accomplished, like in the middle trio of songs - “Water From The Fountain”, and particularly sublime “Walking Mandala” and very good “Waiting’ For The Light”.

But then there are problems. Musically, they come with a failed blues attempt of “There’s Someone Watching’ Over You”, with none of the musicians or singers seeming to be comfortable what they are doing and “Alowan” with its gimmicky attempt at a Native American chant. That song, a complete failure in itself, as well as the opener “Peace by Peace” showcase the other problem here and that is the hippy-dippy style attempt at gospel that simply doesn’t work. What is even more frustrating with these two is that when Suki with her songwriting stays true to herself, as with “That Which Hat Been” with its full religious overtones it works much better, whether you care about Suki’s beliefs or not.

So by opening and closing the album with a dud, Suki and Company come up with something that with ups and downs comes up with an average experience. A shame, since its better moments make a solid ground for a good album.