Melvins
Pinkus Abortion Technician

by Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (113 Reviews)
April 20th, 2018 | 27 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: pardon me, im only bleeding

The title of this record paints a painfully obvious picture of what’s held in store for the listener. For all intents and purposes, this is the Melvins, featuring common collaborator Jeff Pinkus, taking on the sonic strangeness of the Butthole Surfers. This is far from the first time the two bands have flirted with each other’s intoxicating bizarrities, as the bands have covered each other, created a live split, and effectively made the Melvins a supergroup on Hold It In. While that album, which featured the Surfers’ Pinkus and Paul Leary, was very obviously borrowing from the legendary noise rock band, the iconic, metallic, muck-riddled grooves still took center stage -- that is to say, it was definitely a Melvins album.

Not to say this doesn't feel like an album from the group, or it’s even that left field or shocking. Much like last year's A Walk With Love and Death’s Death side, Pinkus Abortion Technician is a much less metal and more rock approach to fuzzy, stoned out jams. This time, however, the album is a homage to other artists and genres: “Don't Forget to Breathe” and “Break Bread” are extremely grungy, while “Prenup Butter” and “Flamboyant Duck” feel particularly psychedelic. This is also an attempted celebration of the eclectic nature the Surfers showed in their prime. Each track, especially the covers and Butthole Surfers retoolings, feature a serviceable level of noise rockish zest, which Buzz Osborne and Dale Crover are not unfamiliar with, as well a palpable aura of goofy surrealism and absurdism. Yet, despite the ground covered here and their serviceable performances, something feels missing from this album. These ideas, while diverse enough to remain interesting, are hardly unexplored, especially to this prolific band. Comparing itself to the masterwork of unsettling risk that is Locust Abortion Technician was always a bad idea, as it helps frame this album as relatively safe and somewhat recycled. Even the covers here, barring the live staple “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” feel like exactly what you’d expect from “Melvins take on x band.”

The material featured on this release is arguably lacking substance. It's a good time in the moment and, contains some tight performances, especially seen in Pinkus’ and Steven McDonald's two headed bass attack and Crover’s always superb drumming. For a band that's objectively been in their victory lap for quite a long time, a 2018 release could have faired a lot worse. Still, the dedication to the Butthole Surfers feels weak at best and creatively strained at worst. While not quite half assed, this album is not up to snuff with even the modern Melvins releases and, in honesty, is a bit of a wasted concept, especially when you remember that the Surfers themselves plan on releasing a new album this year, making this record feel somewhat unnecessary to anyone who isn't a ride or die Melvins or Surfers fan. It's lukewarm as an homage and an original work (I use the word original loosely), reeking of “fans only” status. It's far from awful, but calling it uninspired would be right on the money.

Nocturnus AD ParadoxTyler, the Creator IGOR
Possessed Revelations of OblivionBad Religion Age of Unreason
The Sound From The Lion's MouthDestruction Sentence of Death
2.8
good
PsychicChris (3.5)
Gimmicks like a twenty car pileup...

April 20th 2018

Stream here: https://melvinsofficial.bandcamp.com/album/pinkus-abortion-technician

Thanks to BlushfulHippocrene and Arch :]

Digging: Bomb the Music Industry! - Scrambles

ianblxdsoe

1916 Comments

was waiting for this mmm

FearThyEvil
April 20th 2018

I wish these guys would stop pushing out so many albums, sit back, and really focus to make something good again. They haven't released anything truly excellent since 2006 with A Senile Animal.

April 20th 2018

Hold it in and Basses Loaded would like to have a word with you.

AcidCaravan
April 20th 2018

They been one of my favourite bands from the day I seen 'em open up for Nirvana in Rome, 1994. But I fear they finally lost it. A band that from the plodding, noisy and sludgy rise with "Gluey Porch Treatments" up until "A senile Animal" rarely disappointed me. Time to take a little break, Buzzo.

April 20th 2018

Yeah I can see it but I've enjoyed all the albums after and including Freak Puke, barring this. A break sounds in order, though.

Also, if you can, see them live. They still put on a killer show.

AcidCaravan

Freak Puke was great.

April 20th 2018

I definitely enjoyed that one.

Real talk tho, Hold It In is one of the best Melvins albums.

GUNGFUHAMMERFIST
April 20th 2018

damn melvins, old busy ass motherfuckers

TheSonomaDude
April 20th 2018

holy shit didn't realize how insanely active this band has been lately

polyrhythm

2054 Comments

A shame they haven't released a consistently great album this decade...

Digging: Corbin - Mourn

Sniff
April 21st 2018

Imagine actually being able to have this much fun when you're at their age though. Buzz and Dale are great inspiration whatever they put out

Dewinged

That's very, very true.

I just jammed the opener and it was a fun track. It won't blow me away most probably but I will give it a listen.

Digging: Fire! Orchestra - Arrival

April 21st 2018

They have a shit ton of fun on stage, no doubt.

I'm sure this was fun to record.

Dedes
April 21st 2018

Where should I start with Melvins?

Sniff
April 21st 2018

Houdini is easiest to listen to and get into. maybe a senile animal is a good place to start too cos that's where I started when it was released and since they've become one of my favorite bands

April 21st 2018

I'd suggest Bullhead, Stoner Witch, or Houdini. From there check Gluey Porch Treatments, Lysol, and Stag, Stag is their best.

BlushfulHippocrene
April 21st 2018

Lovely work as usual, Bloon. I listened to a bit of their other stuff and liked what I heard.

Digging: Injury Reserve - Injury Reserve