Iced Earth
The Dark Saga

by houseofclousemusic USER (7 Reviews)
April 15th, 2018 | 8 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Jon Schaffer decides to visit the Spawn comic series for inspiration and the results are fantastic.

Lineup:
Mark Prator - drums

Genre:
Power metal

Background:
‘The Dark Saga’ is the fourth album by Iced Earth. It is a concept album based on the Spawn comic book series. It tells the story of a man who sells his soul in order to come back from the dead to reunite with his true. He soon discovers that she has now married his own best friend in the five years since his death. He is left alone in the world, and although he has good inside, he is strongly influenced by the dark forces that are inside him. All of his desires are denied, even his own death. The focus of the album is more on the emotional atmospheric side of the music instead of the technicality of the playing. The heaviness is still there, but is now intertwined with more melodic sections.

Performance:
Matt Barlow gives another outstanding performance on this album. His vocals are very emotionally charged and fit the musical direction of Iced Earth perfectly. Schaffer and Shawver continue to be an unstoppable duo on guitar. Dave Abell’s bass comes through pretty nicely and Mark Prator is solid on the drums.

Songwriting:
I love the songwriting on this album. Schaffer takes a new and unexpected melodic approach on the record that fits perfectly with the story that is being told on the album. Lyrically, the album is probably the band’s best and it also contains the most emotional songs in the entire Iced Earth catalog. The album still has its heavy moments on tracks like “Violate” and “Vengeance is Mine”.

Creativity:
This represented a complete change in direction for Iced Earth at the time. They pretty much ditched their thrash metal sound from the previous two albums and really went all in on their power metal sound. The album’s lyrics are extremely thoughtful as well. The last three tracks that make up the “The Suffering” trilogy at the end also demonstrate Schaffer’s unique composing ability as well.

Production:
The production of this album is really good, but at times the drums sound a bit too clunky. The guitars sound great and the bass is audible as well. This is not the band’s best album when it comes to production, but still I do like the sound of the album.
Rating: 4/5

Highlights:
“A Question of Heaven”
"The Hunter"
"I Died for You"
"Slave to the Dark"
“Vengeance is Mine”

Verdict:
Iced Earth’s fourth album is fantastic. ‘The Dark Saga’ has terrific songwriting and is very consistent throughout its entirety. I love how emotional and thought provoking the lyrics of the album are as well. ‘The Dark Saga’ is Iced Earth’s most emotional album to date.

Demons and Wizards Demons & WizardsIced Earth Horror Show
Iced Earth Something Wicked This Way ComesIced Earth Burnt Offerings
Iced Earth Night of the StormriderIced Earth Iced Earth
Mikesn EMERITUS (3)

Venpts16 (4)

naboo (3)

Confessed2005
April 15th 2018

Interesting review format. Not bad either. I've not heard this but best Iced Earth will always be Burnt Offerings.

Casavir
April 15th 2018

I have to give this thing another listen as I haven't listened to it in years.

Digging: Cea Serin - Where Memories Combine

April 15th 2018

Never got into this one as much

Digging: Inferi - Revenant

ksoflas
April 16th 2018

The closing trilogy of the album is really something.

manosg
April 16th 2018

Not my favorite Iced Earth but this is catchy like hell and I tend to jam it quite often when I'm in an Iced Earth mood.

Digging: Judicator - The Last Emperor

Casavir
April 16th 2018

What are your favorite ones?

manosg
April 16th 2018

Stormrider > Something Wicked (the one that got me into the band as a teen) > Burnt Offerings > The Dark Saga. All are a 4 or more for me and Alive in Athens is easily one of my favorite live albums.

Titan
April 16th 2018

A Question Of Heaven is one of my favorite IE songs, especially on Alive In Athens

song bangs