Ataraxy
Where All Hope Fades

by Black Daimon USER (42 Reviews)
March 16th, 2018 | 75 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is what death metal feels like.

A lot of the best and most effectual moments for me in death metal are what I like to call “modular moments”. They’re usually bound to intros, breakdowns or bridges, outros, and the like. They centre around distilling the music’s essence and centre into a more atmospheric or concentrated sound. The creepy, undistorted picking of guitar strings, or the boiling down of a riff into a long-winded break that enhances the spirit or vibe of a song into something much more fulfilling than if it were just a barrage of unrelenting riffs from start to finish. They give it that horror-film feel. These modular moments separate the dullards from the truly horrific and naturally compelling death metal bands that understand it’s about more than a hard riff. It’s about controlling a dynamic sound. No band has ever done this better than when I first heard Ataraxy’s Revelations of the Ethereal in 2012. They’re the first and only band I’ve ever heard that seems to compose their death metal entirely around these modular moments. Some call it doom, but it’s a little different from that. They’re not just slowing their riffs down or injecting a heavy metal influences, they’re distilling their pure, 100% death metal riffs into atmospheric modules that expand and encompass an entire song, enveloping the listener in one of the most identifiable and immediately poignant sounds of the genre. You know Ataraxy when they’re playing. They don’t sound like anybody else—not for unique death metal, but for their unique construction of the genre’s greatest strength.

Where All Hope Fades is no different and, in fact, takes it one step further. Ataraxy’s second album doesn’t forgo what made their debut so special, and continues this tradition of angular, creepy, and atmospheric death in even greater long-form compositions. Twelve-minute closing track ‘The Blackness of Eternal Night’ exemplifies this, a true monument to the style they’ve built. Long, winding labyrinths of gently layered guitars play over the oozing ahhs of the chants, synths, or hums that serve as the backdrop. The drums slowly plod forth until the distortion hits the guitars, supplanting the same ghostly melody with death metal rhythms and heaviness. The vocals howl in blood-curdling sickness. And the pace builds into a full-blown death metal riff-fest, evolving and changing within the bounds the band has created. After this initial precedent has been set, the rest of the track ebbs and flows back and forth with this dynamic of heavy, rhythmic death metal, and the modular moments the complement the riffs through refined means and tension.

Ataraxy continue to prove that they’re one of the most interesting and effectual bands in death metal today, both continuing the genre’s earliest traditions and expanding them to create not only an album that sounds great, but feels substantial and memorable even after a cursory listen. Ataraxy define themselves where so many other bands fail to do so. This is what death metal feels like.

Mount Eerie Now OnlyRivers of Nihil Where Owls Know My Name
In Flames BattlesCalcemia The Unburning Flame
Toby Driver Live at Roulette, March 2017Tchornobog Tchornobog

March 16th 2018

I don't like writing reviews anymore, but I had to do this.

Listen: https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/where-all-hope-fades

Dewinged
March 16th 2018

Shame you don't write much lately Snox, review is great. Definitely sold on checking this.

Digging: Sleep - The Sciences

Hawks

Nice. m/

Digging: Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E 1999 Eternal

slikphuk
March 16th 2018

sweet review bro, bumpn to a 4 this is the hope of modern dm at its finest.

Digging: Skeletal Remains - Devouring Mortality

thanks dudes

AdolfChrist
March 16th 2018

you have your hair fucking QUEEFY

Digging: Secede - Bye Bye Gridlock Traffic

evilford
March 16th 2018

Sweet nice Rev and thread to bump

Digging: Ingurgitating Oblivion - Vision Wallows In Symphonies Of Light

ShadowRemains

i doubt this is a 5 but will listen

every album i like is a 5

ramon.
March 16th 2018

thats the most snox-esque summary I've ever seen
cool review, great record

botb

Yo this fucking rips

Digging: Sleep - The Sciences

TheSpirit
March 16th 2018

excited to check this out

Digging: Malfet - The Snaking Path

March 16th 2018

"thats the most snox-esque summary I've ever seen"

I'm glad my summaries are notably characteristic of my writing.

"excited to check this out"

do it nerd

necropig
March 16th 2018

Awesome, will check once finished work m/

Digging: Communion - The Communion

botb
March 16th 2018

Thanks for reviewing this, probably wouldn’t have heard it otherwise. Very cool listen.

Marehelm

A 5... will check

March 16th 2018

Album art looks like a winner, I'll check this

Digging: Inferi - Revenant

Darius
March 16th 2018

I'm not sure why you call it "modular moments" maybe it's cause they are "modular" in that they can push and influence an album's qualities in certain directions? Regardless I agree and look for and love these moments in music myself, although what I look for may or may not be different than you. Just can't wrap my head around that naming though

Who cares about semantics anyway, good review, pos'd cause your not a contrib anymore bitch

March 16th 2018

I took the word modular because the concept I have in my head works with many of the word's base definitions, though I suppose the most direct would be that of a literal systems module being placed within a greater network and working within that structure and its elements whilst adding something new.

Darius
March 16th 2018

"because the concept I have in my head works with many of the word's base definitions"

That was my first guess yeah.

Anyway, you convinced me to jam this, also gonna jam the new Rivers of Nihil, I need some more modern dm in my life.