Cenotaph (MX, Death Metal)
The Gloomy Reflection of Our Hidden Sorrows

by Bloon CONTRIBUTOR (80 Reviews)
February 28th, 2018 | 42 replies

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The bleak world in front of your eyes.

There is a crossroads where the elements of the human psyche meet. This is where one’s feelings, containing maximum potency and passion, collide like two cars speeding into an intersection. This collision brings these forces to an agonizing halt, crushing them until the energy is sucked away and funneled into something else. This is where killers are born, where agony is created, where people decide to turn against society, where the end starts. This is no ordinary point on this planet. Its skies are painted with grey clouds and and dull fog. Its land is made of dry deserts and vast acres of nothingness. The air tastes bitter when it is breathed and the sparse rainfall stings when it hits the skin. Bones of broken men are scattered about throughout these dark lands.

The Gloomy Reflection of Our Hidden Sorrows is an interesting album, as it manages to create a visceral and poignant ambiance, filling the air with feelings of misanthropic despair and crushing cynicism, yet it still contains the anger and aggression that death metal has been built upon. In the most remarkable of ways, these feeling are balanced without compromising the flow of the experience. Any stripped down moments serve a purpose to the themes of the record, while the bulk of the album portrays complex turmoil without sacrificing intensity in its songwriting. The off-kilter bass licks add surreality to the piercing riffs and skull-crushing percussion, which dictates the tempo with intense authority. The violent onslaught of anger is contrasted by dissonant portions which further build the melancholic tension with foreboding drones and suffocating atmosphere.

The sky is tinted gray above this area, with the air feeling thinner and thinner as it is breathed. This is where bitterness is birthed. This is where apathy is authored. This is the spawning grounds for solemn sorrow and misanthropic fury.

“Death awaits me. At least I'll be forever gone. Death awaits me. At least I'll be gone…”

Satan Cruel MagicEminem Kamikaze
Young Thug Slime LanguagePixies Head Carrier
Body/Head The SwitchNegativland Dispepsi

Bloon
February 27th 2018

Stream the album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS4ZYP1ry8I

A bit of background here. I originally wrote this review for a blog that a few others and I tried to run. Said project has been retired (under good terms) and I have decided to release this piece on Cenotaph’s Gloomy Reflections of Our Hidden Sorrows. This record is a true work of layered, thought-provoking art, and I can only hope this does it some form of justice. Check the record if you haven’t heard it.

As always, much love. :]

Digging: Man or Astro-Man? - Your Weight on the Moon

February 27th 2018

best album ever yea

Rippin and the tearin.

Digging: Monstrosity - The Passage of Existence

Hawks
February 28th 2018

Damn gotta hear this asap.

Digging: Convulsing - Grievous

combustion07
February 28th 2018

Killer album. That cover is also one of my favorites

Asdfp277

dat HD

hansoloshotfirst
February 28th 2018

short and sweet review, album rules of course.

Digging: Sepulcher - Panoptic Horror

Jacquibim
February 28th 2018

eyy this finally has a review nice

February 28th 2018

Really solid album. Never seen the cover in that high resolution before either lol

Digging: Blahzay Blahzay - Blah Blah Blah

Spacesh1p
February 28th 2018

Sweet album owns, nice work bloon

February 28th 2018

such a good album. dat production

Digging: Nadra - Allir vegir til gltunar

Jacquibim

bass is thicc

Thicc as my dicc

February 28th 2018

So this album is somewhere between 3.5-5 inches in girth?

BlackMalachite
February 28th 2018

This was dull, damn. I got hyped for nothing.

February 28th 2018

You aint got girth, you aint got worth, i always say.

Go home, Snide.

BlackMalachite

"Go home, Snide."

A pipe burst and the basement flooded, I'm in need of junz.

February 28th 2018

Idk what you were expecting, death metal doesnt really seem to be your thing.

February 28th 2018

Yeah, death metal isn't your ballpark. Go to the kiddie ballpark instead.