Harms Way (USA-IL)
Posthuman

good

by Chamberbelain CONTRIBUTOR (199 Reviews)
February 23rd, 2018 | 21 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Post workout routine

Some music makes you want to think, some music makes you want to cry, some music makes you want to dance, some music wants to make you headbutt your way through a wall of breeze blocks. “Posthuman”, the latest album by Chicago’s hardcore hellions Harm’s Way strongly relates to the latter description.

The first thing you notice about “Posthuman” is how it sounds as if it’s an inch away from your face. Harm’s Way completely obliterates all boundaries of a person’s comfort zone as multiple elements of this album appear to have been crafted to sound so in-your-face that its invasiveness and assertive charisma is palpable. The production has been designed so that the music sounds loud and belligerent, James Pligge’s guttural vocals are placed above the mixing of the instrumentalism to appear equally as dominant as his physique, and that maximum impact is delivered during and after the numerous mosh-calls sprayed across the album. A blunt and blatant haymaker to the grotesque side of humanity and the horrid situations humankind digs itself into is what Harm’s Way aims for, and a blunt and blatant punch is exactly what “Posthuman” delivers.

Harm’s Way’s strike is tempered with the industrial elements that the band has developed from their previous album, “Rust”. Comparisons and influences from bands such as Godflesh, Ministry and Fear Factory are obvious across “Posthuman” due to the electronic samples injected into the adrenaline of this album. Before the distorted vocals, sparks, saws and scrapes introduce “The Gift” which creates a short, mangled and menacing interlude. Other tracks such as “Temptation” and “Call My Name” revolve around a bleak industrial aesthetic bringing about a subtle sense of realism to the destructive nature Industry has on humanity. Similarly, the grinding riffs scattered across “Posthuman” sound equally mechanic in songs such as the jolting “Dissect Me” and “Become the Machine” that churn out an array of jolting riffs sure to heat the crowd to boiling mosh pits.

However, the mechanic mood of this album is its largest downfall. Many of the driven and crushing riffs on this album become progressively less potent because of how repetitive they are. Take “Unreality”, the main riff is both punishingly heavy and has this elasticity about it that makes it sound like it is trudging over everything in its way yet it barely altars, and many songs exemplify this technique. Thus, that controlled, mechanic sensibility diminishes how frantic “Posthuman” initially appears, contrary to the free, unrestrained vitriol hardcore often displays. Harm’s Way is punching you really ***ing hard, but only in one spot.

Nevertheless, those looking for a simplistic delivery of punishing riffs that make you want to kick your legs around, whirl your arms in a circle or punch the floor in the middle of a wall of death will find this album suitably sufficient in evoking such behaviour. What’s most impressive is that Harm’s Way paves no new ground for the hardcore scene and have still managed to create an album that sounds more destructive than the majority of their counterparts while barely progressing their dedicated sound. With that kind of trajectory, best stay out of Harm’s Way.

Myrkur JuniperLeonov Wake
Sylvaine Atoms Aligned, Coming UndoneMarissa Nadler For My Crimes
Slow Crush AuroraAttan End Of

MarsKid
February 23rd 2018

Solid review my man, captured this album pretty well. I ended up liking this more than I thought, good heavy shit

Digging: Noise Trail Immersion - Symbology of Shelter

NocteDominum

This needed a review. Good work my man : ]

February 23rd 2018

Good review, album lived up to my expectations which were pretty high actually. Every song on this is pretty brutal and awesome imo.

Album is what code Orange fanboys thought what forever was

cvlts
February 26th 2018

Album is what code Orange fanboys thought what forever was

ya know, good.

the comments on sputnik music dot com are fucking terrific

Adabelle
March 17th 2018

solid junz

April 7th 2018

Anyone have recommendations for songs/albums that go as hard, brutal, and scary as Track 2 (Last Man)?

EyeForAnEye
April 12th 2018

good album

JohnFire
April 16th 2018

Great review (though my score will probably end up higher)

Artuma

"ya know, good."

not really. i like godflesh but this super meatheaded brand of it gets dull very soon. isolation is still a pretty sweet album though

Digging: Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want

August 23rd 2018

Honest to god I haven't even listened to this since it came out.

These guys aren't terrible but they're quite possibly the worst band ever on Deathwish.

August 23rd 2018

I think it's a great album but I've always liked these guys

MuhNamesTyler
September 28th 2018

Band just got all their instruments and merch stolen at a show last night in Vegas

September 28th 2018

God thats got to fucking suck so much, they should set up a gofundme.

September 28th 2018

yeah regardless of what I personally think of them this sucks huge balls. They did put on a great live show when I saw them with ETID, hopefully this isn’t fatal

THVRTVVN
September 28th 2018

couldn't imagine what losing all that would feel like. horrible stuff.

Nikkolae
September 28th 2018

I keep forgetting this exists, maybe i should give it another spin?

Digging: Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime

September 28th 2018

It’s not bad, I think my three is a little high. It’s decent background music