Cyborg Octopus
Learning To Breathe

1.5
very poor

by Bloon CONTRIBUTOR (63 Reviews)
February 8th, 2018 | 23 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: How wacky...

Coming from the same school of thought as Orbweaver and Brain Tentacles, Cyborg Octopus is, as you may expect, another band trying to mix the worlds of progressive death metal and surreal experimental rock. As an idea alone, it could work in the right hands, but, in most cases, the music created functions as an attempt to make the music as weird as possible for the sake of strangeness itself. More often than not, this sub-genre of progressive goof metal ends up feeling impressed by its own strangeness and devoid of any significant content that warrants the absurd musical elements. Learning to Breathe rarely proceeds with purpose on its 36 minute long run, with any progressions leading to pointless and grating tangents, like on the exceptionally drab “Divine Right in D Minor” and the over-dramatic “Bitter.”

When not assaulting the ears with irritating shark-jumps, this album melds inoffensive deathcore riffs with ill-fitting influences taken from Cynic, Mr. Bungle, and Dillinger Escape Plan, in addition to wanky guitar solos and boring compositions. Almost every song flashes by while establishing very little, the exceptions being the bloated opener, “Data_m1nefield,” and closer, “Epiphany.” Both songs are long, overblown, and grandiose, with nothing musically supporting their boldness. Other tracks, like “Baptism of Clay” and “Shark Pit,” have gimmicks, sure, but ultimately do very little with their one note themes. What is at first surprisingly bad becomes extremely unremarkably garbage. Edgy screams, sugary guitar and bass tones, paper thin drums, and pointless backing instruments litter this record from beginning to end, taking inspiration from their peers and using said inspiration to create a hodgepodge mess of insufferable garbage. It’s abrupt genre shifts clash with each other in the attempt to make their songs more complex. After all, why not throw everything at the wall in the hopes that whatever mess you made resembles a complete project, ready for mixing and mastering.

I’d be lying if I said that this didn't have any interesting ideas buried behind the snore-inducing song structure and the piss-poor execution, but these few interesting concepts are sparse and do very little in saving this mess of a record. In the attempt to “experiment” on deathcore and goofcore death metal, Cyborg Octopus does nothing but take random ideas and try to fit them side by side with trite progressive metal clichés. The band becomes so wrapped up in its own quirkiness that they almost start to take themselves seriously, despite the fact that the album contains songs like the unbelievably stupid “Discobrain!’ Learning to Breathe lacks purpose, originality, capable songwriting, and a general level of quality on all fronts and Cyborg Octopus has quite a few more things to learn other than breathing.

Brainticket Cottonwood HillAlien Sex Fiend Acid Bath
Hooded Menace Ossuarium Silhouettes UnhallowedBlood Urn ...Of Gory Sorcery and Death
Fredo Santana Fredo Kruger 2Diamond Head Canterbury

February 7th 2018

Stream the album here: https://cyborgoctopus.bandcamp.com

Thanks to FullofSounds and Vaxxi for helping me with this. Sorry I didn’t dig the record, Ebola.

This is apart of Fripp's review challenge, thanks for letting me join in! :D

Digging: D.R.I. - Dirty Rotten LP

ArsMoriendi

I love your AV Bloon

Digging: Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom

Frippertronics

toasty take incoming

Digging: Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto - Glass

February 7th 2018

gotta keep warm and toasty

@ars thanks man!

Firework
February 7th 2018

Will you keep me warm and toasty

sure thing friend

ScuroFantasma
February 7th 2018

Art on this is cool, never did check it out though but maybe that was for the best?

Digging: The Tangent - The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery

kingdedethefifth
February 7th 2018

Great review man! Doesn't sound like my cup of tea for sure.

February 7th 2018

@scuro i'd say so, but i'm in the minority it seems

the art is pretty cool tbh

@dede and bgillesp thanks friends!!! :]

bgillesp

Forgot I can't pos you anymore. Nice work. I may check to see if I agree

Digging: Earl Scruggs - Live At Kansas State

Dewinged
February 7th 2018

Great review Bloon, really enjoyed the read.

The cover is alluring enough to check this but damn you butchered it lol

Will peep anyways.

Digging: VVV x Sangam - Tomorrow Comes

NocteDominum
February 7th 2018

Awesome review, shame about the album

Digging: Locktender - Friedrich

foxblood

looks interesting

clavier
February 8th 2018

your negative reviews are always so spicy - nice job Bloon

NocteDominum
February 8th 2018

No we just got to find the guy some metal he’ll like

50iL

Awesome review, mental pos

SitarHero
February 8th 2018

Dang, that's a flamethrower of a review. I thought this would be lolbad and am checking it out at the moment. Gotta admit, I'm kiiiind of digging this first song.

Panzerchrist

I get it, you hate fun

February 8th 2018

this isn't the first time i've been called out for my hatred of fun

i mean, you aren't wrong though

Panzerchrist
February 8th 2018

I like your pointed, concentrated aggression, I just wish it was on an album truly deserving it. It has identity issues, sure, but I don't know that it deserves a 1.5. I personally found the songwriting pretty creative. Is it trying too hard? Absolutely, but compared to some of the dull and lifeless prog acts that are active today, it's hardly a negative.