Hooded Menace
Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed

good

by Bloon CONTRIBUTOR (73 Reviews)
January 31st, 2018 | 35 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A fun ride, but one you may have ridden before.

Hooded Menace’s newest release embodies an odd sense of adequateness that wafts from its cavernous halls of doom flavored death metal. Sure, much of Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed contains enough slow tempo riffs and oddly bright guitar solos to portray atmosphere, but this world building doesn’t go beyond average tactics used by a large quantity of other artists, leaving the listener to fill in the blanks that the empty drones and stings don’t. The music here surely does cover some ground, attempting to build up some form of “monolithic cataclysm,” but it doesn’t convince my ears that this danger isn’t extremely thin.

This thinness even carries over to the production and, in some respects, the song composition as well. Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed'scacophony is quite treble heavy, with over emphasis on the oddly clear snare sound, especially on a song like “In Eerie Deliverance.” The bass presence leaves a bit to be desired, with the guitar having much more prevalence, although the welcome bass ambiance is interesting when it is allowed a tiny bit of room to breathe. Songwriting on this record is also noticeably simple, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as songs like “Charnel Reflections” and “Cathedral of Labyrinthine Darkness” use it to their advantage. Regardless, quite a few of the long, dissonant guitar leads do very little in terms of surprising the listener or engaging them enough to be on the edge of their seat.

On the other hand, while this record isn’t particularly inventive or flawless, its simple approach to the genre can make many of these moments enjoyable, as I’d be lying to you if I said this album didn’t have me nodding my head along to some of these crushing grooves. The record also has a way of flowing from riff to riff, beat to beat, and passage to passage in a satisfyingly smooth manner, never abruptly or jarringly shifting around. There’s also a passionate energy that flows from these performances, with a dark charisma surrounding the energized drums and the above average vocals. The emissions of evil are here and, sometimes, cascade from the walls of sound like the putrid stench from an unknown origin.

In many respects, there is a lot of fun to be had with Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed. What it lacks in ingenuity, lackluster production, and a strong sense of atmosphere, it makes up for in consistency, passion, and enjoyably simple song structure. It leaves a bit to be desired, but what it does give is a decent riff filled romp, with many moments of foreboding fun, the kind of which is less striking the more you think about it.

KirbLaGoop Trapped in da 100Gorguts The Erosion of Sanity
Melvins Pinkus Abortion TechnicianSarcofago Hate
Siege Drop DeadThe Dean Ween Group rock2
Gameofmetal STAFF (4.2)
Familiar, yet distant. Hooded Menace release their most dynamic album to date....

January 30th 2018

Stream the album here: https://hoodedmenace.bandcamp.com/album/ossuarium-silhouettes-unhallowed

Thanks to BlushfulHippocrene, FullofSounds, and ianblxdsoe for helping me fix up this review.

:D

ianblxdsoe
January 30th 2018

seriously one of your most wellworded and well-expressed reviews thus far. pos

January 30th 2018

Love how these guys don’t over do their sound.

Solid review, pos’d

January 30th 2018

"embodies an odd decency"

I get what you're trying to say (I think), but I'm not sure "decency" is the best word choice here given that extreme metal is, or is supposed, to be all about transgressions, musically, lyrically and aesthetically. "Decency" kind of implies stately composure, moral integrity, etc.

Also, repeated use of the word "portray(ing)" in the first paragraph - nothing really wrong here, but maybe just mix up your diction to avoid sounding a tad redundant.

"The previously mentioned thinness"

"This thinness" would suffice when it's mentioned in the sentence immediately prior to this one, and it's not really necessary to remind the listener of the subject. If you returned to this point a couple paragraphs down, it would be.

"with the guitar having much more prevalence than the bass guitar"

You can drop "than the bass guitar" for the sake of brevity given that it's mentioned at the start of the sentence; it's not necessary to clarify or anything.

"proverbial or physical" - unnecessary word-usage, especially when the sentence this is from can and will be taken quite literally.

I’d be lying to you if I said this album didn’t have me nodding my head along to some of these crushing grooves – and the record also has a way of flowing from riff to riff, beat to beat, and passage to passage in a satisfyingly smooth manner, never abruptly or jarringly shifting around.

These two clauses could stand alone as sentences, so long as you drop the "and" at the start of the second one. Points for experimenting with your structure though.

On that point, you could do a bit more of that in the second paragraph, as you start 4 consecutive sentences with "the" - 5 if you count the last one in the first. It just reads a little bit mechanically, as if you're reading dot points out loud.

Either way, I'm being super nit picky and you're improving noticeably with every review. Great read.

Hard pos, will probably be the last I can give you when you have that shiny contrib tag :sunglasses:

Jac dropping spoilers? : ]

January 30th 2018

I didn't say that officially, m'kay

LMAOOOOOOOO 3

Digging: Violet Cold - Sommermorgen (Pt. I) - Innocence

Not everyone gives out 4.5’s like their Oprah mate

Do you have a point?

Relinquished

3 point 5

AdolfChrist

fuck, dat artwork.

so is this more business as usual for HM?

Thanks everyone

@pone I'll take a look at you're critiques. I'm extremely thankful you are willing to go in detail about what could make my writing better. I can only hope for that contrib tag. :D

Made a few edits. :]

Looks great < 3

So does the review ; ]

Dedes

So do you ;]
This sounds like an album I would like, im easy to please with that cavernous death- doom.

Time to fill that cavernous hole : ) try some Eye Of Solitude or Clouds

DarkNoctus
January 31st 2018

disagree with some of the reasonings on this one. unsure as to where you're getting the treble-heaviness from. just the right balance for me, though it could stand to be more dynamic, which would really help the bass and drums breathe. despite that, it isn't cavernous but i don't think it's supposed to be. it's the riffs that carry you in this one and this one delivers those in spades. this is my first foray into hooded menace and i hugely enjoyed it.

Digging: God Is an Astronaut - Epitaph

January 31st 2018

Fucking right Noctus get on all their other stuff you won't be disappointed. Debut is one of the best dm albums ever made.

DarkNoctus
January 31st 2018

i'll be having a great time going back through the discog, i have no doubt