Sabbat (JPN)
Envenom

by Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (97 Reviews)
November 28th, 2017 | 12 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Satanic thrashing chaos from the land of the rising sun…

Straight from the darkest part of Kuwana, three men who go by Zorugelion, Gezolucifer, and Elizaveat came together to create a cold blooded force to strike terror into the hearts of the God-fearing world. This thrashing beast was originally limited to 500 copies and was given a Catalog ID of 666-06. Adorn with a cover displaying a pentagram enveloped by a nightmare-esque monster, Envenom was unleashed in 1991, spreading the destructive sound of Satan, as if they wanted to summon the Antichrist himself.

While this exhibition of chaotic, robust, and blackened thrash never brought the Devil to our earthly plane, it did bring him to our eardrums, delivering cathartic riffs that embody the power that resides in Hell. The tight, speedy, and lean guitar leads travel at the equally nimble, yet intense, pace of the drums, which retain the roughness of thrash and punk, while bringing the bloodthirstiness of early black metal. The energy these two instruments add to the simple and effective onslaught, which is made even more aggressive by the abrasively fuzz bass riffs, the cleaving shouts, and the ominous growls. Everything comes together to create an experience that is as vigorous as it is evil.

None of this even mentions the expertly crafted songwriting, which bodyslams the listener with ingenious sections of blindingly fast and tense progressions and blood pumping solos. Songs like the electrifying “Carcassvoice,” the heavy and caustic “Devil Worship,” the crushingly brutal “King of Hell,” and the driving closer that is “Dead March” exemplify the dark and twisted atmosphere that flows through every second of this record, as well as the unforgivingly punishing tone that demolishes the listener. The multitudes upon multitudes of insane metal are only strengthened by the rough and uncompromising production, that is murky enough to be foreboding, but is still crisp enough to be satisfyingly annihilating.

After all, in order to accurately represent the dark one and his petrifying realm, you must bring your best forms of annihilation. Your riffs have to crush the eardrums of anyone close enough to be subjected to the brutality. Your malevolent compositions have to be memorable, while retaining the raw magnitude of your sound. You cannot put frivolous concepts like “nuance” and “subtlety” if you intend on contacting Satan through the vile and raw metal you can create. Most importantly, you must be able to leave your surroundings more venomous than you found them. In other words, you must Envenom the world around you...