Billy Corgan
Ogilala

1.0
awful

by chemicalbilly USER (1 Reviews)
November 21st, 2017 | 38 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Really not what humanity needs right now.

This may well shock some of you but the new Billy Corgan album is tepid and insipid nonsense. Even Rick Rubin’s productive hands fail to wring any magic from its neck.

Ogilala is a bad day at the office for any of the dwindling number of people who care to defend Corgan’s worst excesses; the presumption that the Smashing Pumpkins’ dictator-for-life is a little up his own arse. There’s more than a little precedent for that prevailing thought and his second solo record – 2005’s TheFutureEmbrace effectively consigned to music’s Memory Hole – is chock full of exhibits.

Right out of the gate and we are slapped with this gem from opener 'Zowie':

I’ve foraged ‘neath the darkest eaves, but why"
I’ve coughed into the sparking breach, oh!
But underline, Hosannas ought
Not be so lost as I.

It seems as if our man Billy has been spending his middle age falling asleep in front of the fire with William Blake’s Greatest Hits draped across his chest.

Corgan is still very much on his biblical-quasi-mysticism bent when it comes to naming tracks and albums. If Ogilala wasn’t enough for you, then bear witness to titles such as 'Shiloh' (a biblical city) and 'Mandaryanne' (not even a thing). It's all just penny whistles and moon pie to this guy, isn't it" 'Amaranthine', in which Corgan alleges “gingham clementines fly”, is presumably about life as a plant. The perks of being a wallflower, if you will.

Musically, there is very little to grab the attention or convince a listener to come back to this faux-magical land of sound. Strings, piano and acoustic guitar cover every nook and cranny, and as such every song maintains the same atmosphere, tempo and sound. A scarf knitted by a blind man as opposed to a finely woven tapestry.

Look, okay, Corgan can’t all be rage and rats in a cage anymore. That’s fine. To keep that up into your late-40s would be insane. But Corgan isn’t growing old gracefully so much as standing at the side of the road and waiting for the lights to change.

Really though, it’s this kind of whimsical crap that not only makes Corgan look lame but it’s also just not what the world needs right now. We are in a bad enough spot as it is.

On the fifth track of Ogilala, Corgan asks us to ponder the 'Half Life Of An Autodidact'. Now there’s a thought.

neekafat (3.5)
An unassuming achievement from the King of Complacency....

TheFutureEmbrace

neekafat
November 21st 2017

Next time try spending more time on the music than on the song titles, cause this reads like a wanna-be snarky Pitchfork writer

sixdegrees

good review, pos'd

butcherboy
November 21st 2017

pos because summary is correct..

Digging: Flux of Pink Indians - The Fucking Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks

November 21st 2017

Billy isn't as bad as people say he is. He just sometimes says some grandiose cocky shit he doesn't even believe, just to be controversial and because he knows it doesn't matter and hurts nobody. He was the most interesting, entertaining and articulate interviewee Joe Rogan ever had on.

But his music from the 90s will always be his best work. Well, unless he has a one off return to form like Bowie or whoever.

Aiwaz
November 21st 2017

Billy is a genius actually. I haven't heard this yet but I'm sure it's not that great.

Digging: Corrosion of Conformity - No Cross No Crown

November 21st 2017

Why in the hell should Billy be concerned that the World is not in a good place so his whimsical music isn't appropriate? He is routinely misunderstood anytime he does try and talk about the culture. I'm glad he's happy in his dreamland. He had some kids, he's doing good, he's still smart Billy. He's doing the right thing to do a goofy album some people may dig. 3.5 isn't a bad rating

sixdegrees
November 21st 2017

thoughts on his alex jones interview?

grannypantys
November 21st 2017

even better than his joe rogan interview

November 21st 2017

i liked the joe rogan part where he talked about the music business and admitted he was too eager for money and selfish in his younger years. billy shows the ability to look back and admit he broke shit apart and made mistakes as a young kid

chemicalmarriage

Really though

Dewinged
November 21st 2017

"Corgan can’t all be rage and rats in a cage anymore. That’s fine. To keep that up into your late-40s would be insane."

Tell that to Neurosis.

Digging: The Go! Team - Semicircle

Pibolar

Well written, pos.

Also, yeah that was a good episode on the Rogan podcast.

neekafat
November 21st 2017

It reminds me a lot of my first review, very angry, too many points to prove without the focus to write it

It's a solid start, but you really should focus on righting a few positive reviews before writing more negative ones, they're hard to get right

Good rating

MayhemWithMercy
November 21st 2017

Does Astral like the smashing pumpkins

someguest

he doesn't like anything

MayhemWithMercy

Good point. ^

Contrary to popular belief I love more than I hate

But yeah The Smashing Pumpkins suck

rodrigo90
November 22nd 2017

No they're not, you're behaving like a retarded metalhead (maybe you are)