Trivium
The Sin and the Sentence

1.5
very poor

by Bloon CONTRIBUTOR (80 Reviews)
November 15th, 2017 | 226 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I condemn you because I understand you too well.

The first song on this album, the title track, has a line that boldly exclaims that “You condemn me because you don’t understand me.” This contrived line foreshadows what will follow on this 57 minute long record with an unfortunate clarity. That short, albeit unbelievably stupid, sentence is disgustingly prophetic of what is to come. The agonizing lack of self awareness shines through the empowering statements of The Sin and The Sentence, pulling back the metaphorical curtain, revealing a limp and flaccid message of bravery that is as hollow as the pseudo-heavy tone used in the production and as empty as the melodramatic and vapid songwriting and performances.

When the flashy and sugary guitar solos, which come off as tangents rather than natural song progression, are the structural backbone of your metal songs, the songs feel ham-fisted in the attempt to be epic and impressive. The formulaic drums, which sound paper thin, and the diluted bass do nothing to back up the bright and jarring riffs. Accenting these flaws are the vocals, which revolve around strained, spineless cleans and stereotypical growls, mixing together with the instrumentation to create a gaudy experience. This isn't to say that the record is crude, as it is extremely clean in all the worst ways. The production is scrubbed clean, removing any grit that a metal album benefits from, until the only thing that remains is their dull, lifeless, and robotic music.

When all of these elements come together, the record comes very close to collapsing under its own weight, due to its brittleness. Even after all this, however, Trivium still isn't content, as they are bound to their metalcore stereotypes, no matter how tired and cliché they are. Just go down the list, The Sin and the Sentence has it all; basic riffs, group chants, pretentious “progressive” elements, unwarranted grandeur, lifeless production, and any other flaws that the ***tiest of metal bands thrive on. It’s the insipid devolution of metal. It is a bland, milquetoast attempt to express emotions, leading to a feeling of insincerity.

This is why I condemn you...

Satan Cruel MagicEminem Kamikaze
Young Thug Slime LanguagePixies Head Carrier
Body/Head The SwitchNegativland Dispepsi

Ooops

Stream the album here: https://open.spotify.com/album/3qq44o8Qqvz5JQ7b5AevLT

As requested by BBGames, thanks to help from BlushfulHippocrene.

Digging: Yumi Matsutoya - Kanashii Hodou Tenki

bbgames

Nice!

kris.

how dare u

Frivolous

nice

November 14th 2017

Pos'ing it so I don't get blamed for the inevitable backlash. Solid review.

lol thanks man

Great review.

Digging: Thou - Magus

Hellscythe
November 14th 2017

review is good but it makes me sad bloon

November 14th 2017

:[ i'd apologize but i can't

dbizzles

12087 Comments

4 negs and not one of the culprits has the balls to get in here and say why this isn't a well written review? Is it that hard to type with all that salt in your eyes?

lol

November 15th 2017

I'd also be open to hear from whoever negged mine, provided they actually read it.

ZippaThaRippa
November 15th 2017

Dbizz put your fuckin dad dick away

"dad dick"

good lord almighty lol

TumsFestival

have a pos my man

dctarga
November 15th 2017

Bizzles bringing the fire lol

Good review bud

bbgames
November 15th 2017

Don't worry, the people who negged this are formulating an argument for why this isn't well-written as we speak. It's just taking them a while because of how well thought out they want their argument to be.

November 15th 2017

"I heavily disagree with your rating, so I'm gonna automatically neg" - a good portion of, if not the majority, of people here who neg reviews with polarized scores.

BlackwaterPork