AJJ
The Bible 2

by Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (113 Reviews)
November 12th, 2017 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: My soul became a hammer, I started to feel better...

No more shame, no more fear, no more dread.

These words act as the tagline of AJJ’s most recent full length and they exclaim the records message loud and clear. The band’s self analysis has always been present, but the abstract approach that The Bible 2 takes in both lyricism and sound makes the story of one’s path of forgiveness more potent. The unorthodox way of phrasing these sad stories, like the one in “Junkie Church,” makes them feel way more real, as they are coming in the form of a earnest and anxious stream of thought. The harrowing croons that come from Bonnette are poignantly bittersweet and paint muted landscapes, full of subtle pains and a bit of light poking through the clouds, when in conjunction with the methodically planned and disturbingly distorted tunes. These songs are expertly crafted, showing the band's evolution in both sound and ambition. The music also perfectly complements the complex themes.

The lush sadness that comes from “American Garbage,” “Goodbye, Oh Goodbye,” and the previously mentioned “Junkie Church” are contrasted by songs like “White Worms” and “No More Shame, No More Fear, No More Dread,” which seem hopeful and self-empowering, while still seeming pungently sour with defeat. The depressing happenings that occur in this story are approached in a manner where our protagonist wants to improve. In the effort to improve himself, he learns to forgive what he did as a child and he learns to let what happened in the past stay there. It’s hard for him to move on, but he does, and these songs of muted regret are expressions of their bottled up emotions, letting him escape from their grasp. Amongst missed opportunities and passed loved ones, however, there is hope found in self-help, expression, embracement, and venting. The anger of “Terrifyer” is an attempt to expel frustration, the exclamations of “the devil’s music” in “White Worms” is embracing what our protagonist enjoys, despite what others say, and the horrifying claims of “Cody’s Theme” are an exaggerated representation of the past and the main character’s efforts to forgive himself.

These themes, especially the last one, come into full fruition on “Small Red Boy,” which involves a representation of our protagonist’s childhood self being taught by the main character himself. The boy then becomes a manifestation of hope, forgiveness, self-acceptance, and the closure he lost “when he learned of the tragedy of all of us.” The boy became the conclusion to his relationships with religion, as hinted in “Goodbye, Oh Goodbye,” the people he had to forgive, and the things he had to forgive himself. The small red boy was the end to our main character's arc. He is now the truth the boy claimed to be. The closer, “When I’m A Dead Boy,” even shows that the protagonist is now accepting of death, something that many struggle with. And, with this, our character has drastically changed himself for the better…

No more shame, no more fear, no more dread.

Dedicated to Ian.

Nocturnus AD ParadoxTyler, the Creator IGOR
Possessed Revelations of OblivionBad Religion Age of Unreason
The Sound From The Lion's MouthDestruction Sentence of Death
3.2
good
Gerbilman (4)
Sean Bonnette and the gang stare into the void once more with astonishing results....

Wombat988 (2.5)
"If I stay in bed long enough/They'll go to church without me" - Sean Bonnette...

Stream the album here: https://ajjtheband.bandcamp.com/album/the-bible-2

Thank you to FullofSounds for reading this over for me.

One instance where the sequel is much better than the original.

Digging: Bomb the Music Industry! - Scrambles

FullOfSounds
November 12th 2017

beautiful review, makes me look at the album from a new perspective

SandwichBubble
November 12th 2017

One instance where the sequel is much better than the original.

you better hope my boy jesus didn't hear that, heathen

good review (:

lol thanks :]

ianblxdsoe

1916 Comments

thanks for the dedication man, life is harder than ever man. i’m looking at this album from a whole different perspective now and i can’t thank you enough for that. nothing but love ♥️

November 12th 2017

nothing but love for you as well ♥️

Rigma
November 12th 2017

best wishes ian, love you

CaimanJesus
November 12th 2017

Good review bloon, I wanna check this now, but I can almost guarantee I won't like it

Digging: Speedy Ortiz - Major Arcana

November 12th 2017

Have you heard any other ajj?

Rowan5215
November 12th 2017

I luhh you bloon, have yet to hear this and Jazz Coffin but I'm pretty sure I'd dig em. great review as always

@ian, you are much loved and appreciated and I hope things turn out well for you

Digging: Tyler, the Creator - Igor

CaimanJesus
November 13th 2017

I made it about half way through people before I stopped,I can definitely see the appeal of it, but folk punk is on the same tier as Ska for me, and that's pretty fuckin low.

Spluger
November 14th 2017

1965 Comments

Great review Bloon . I really hope this continues to grow on me, I hadn't payed much attention to how connected the lyrics are. Pos'd

Ebola