Alex Cameron
Forced Witness

by Piglet USER (8 Reviews)
November 5th, 2017 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Alex Cameron's Forced Witness is a record rare in succeeding to ask the question, "Why haven't I been forced to witness this sooner?" in self-referential form.

Have you ever woken up in the thralls of a cheeky craving, lusting for a cassette of synth-pop ballads scripted at every turn by understated absurdity in lyric form and instrumentation gleaned from the genre’s golden age" Nah, neither have I and yet never has such an unrealized union been so delightfully enamelled once fed through the teeth of Alex Cameron and the pipes therein rusted over with a strange intensity for Bruce Springsteen and wit-winked narratives. In truth, it’s never quite clear where the line begins and ends between his own experiences and his imagination’s fancy, when the words he writes them with include references to “feeling like Marlon Brando circa 1999” as a justification for punching a potential love interest's boyfriend and “waking up from a dirty wet dream with a lap full of cum and a head full of steam” as a homeless man. However ambiguous the margin, there is little doubt for the man’s gift for parceling the absurdity into already marbled textures of the 80’s; a kind of instrumentation that once coupled, provides an eerily natural backing to his character portraits. One reviewer described this record's charm with the words, “if Tommy Wiseau made Kaputt”- and if that provides far too incomplete a valuation for its worth, he finished the quip with “and it’s the best pop album I’ve heard in years.”

Just as interesting as the archetypes he paints on the marionette of each song, are the strings that pattern them towards stately dances. Rascally saxophone solos poke their weave into them at every occasion a seamstress could ask, whilst consistently considered synths provide ample cordage to strengthen the thread. What is admirable is no matter whatever talent he’s granted and whichever session musicians he brings to the forefront, the song writing never suffers from straying from a plateau of neon-lit goodness. Each tune positively begs to be fleshed out as tastefully as a mandarin rind and heard alongside a populated Las Vegas strip to remind everyone of the undercutting grace, humour and appetite that marinates every aspect around them to their immediate benefaction. Soft all the while, do these elements stew before one realizes that belying the heart and soul of this record is a self-aware romanticism that falls into an oft tragic and boisterous masculine ego, further anchored between the rip-roaring rushes of love inked in mafia-like escapades to more deplorable counterparts, like loving women online with beautiful eyes who could also possibly be Nigerian guys. The irony otherwise prescient in Cameron’s words disarm the harrowing emotions that issue them, seemingly as a comic relief for an audience he desperately wants to knead into a well-rounded mood.

I can’t find much wrong with this record other than Alex’s baritone sometimes lacking anything more than a sultry and mannerly delivery which is in part matched by an instrumental backing that seldom sits further in its possible range. Yet even though this consideration does corral the quality of this record from reaching higher peaks, it does not detract it from the foundations that keep the footing sure underneath. Ultimately, it is a passage into the lining of one man’s imagination, figured with a palate and brush of words and voice, then framed with a lacquer of welcoming flavours in a way that might just keep the paint longer from its eventual craquelure. Enjoy with ease.

Bill Callahan Dream RiverSystem of a Down Steal This Album!
Acid Mothers Temple Pink Lady LemonadePhilip Glass Metamorphosis I-V, for piano
Macabre Grim Scary TalesRadiohead Amnesiac

November 5th 2017

wrote this just now on an intoxicated whim hope it provides an adequate soundoff for the man's well-deserved comment thread h

give it a spin if you feel like a raunchy dip into the past with a funnier and more self-realized dan bejar who you would gladly lend your dishwashing machine to

ComeToDaddy
November 5th 2017

Hey this is a killer review, reads exactly how I'd want a review of this album to read. Hard pos m/

It took my friend some convincing to get me to spin this initially, but as soon as I got to that cheesy sax in Country Figs I was sold on his style

November 6th 2017

hey thanks bro i appreciate the kind words!

the music videos for me were the sole motivator gahahaa

osmark86
November 7th 2017

yeah this is pretty nice. country figs is such a jam.

November 7th 2017

actually never been overly enamored with country figs but a jam all the same

Chortles
November 7th 2017

Very well done, nice job piggy. I wish I liked this more, but I do love Marlon Brando. J A M city

November 7th 2017

cheers mate, marlon brando is indeed j a m c i t y, kinda reminds me of cut copy now that i think about it

JWT155
November 9th 2017

This will most like;ly be in my top 5 for the year, a fantastic pop record.

November 12th 2017

yeah man i think i'm right with you there. pretty sure it's my most listened to, its just one of those albums you can appreciate in almost any setting or mood.

November 29th 2017

damn this slaps

December 9th 2017

1981 Comments

holy shit this guy is in that meme video, i knew he looked familiar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvrZJ5C_Nwg

jtswope
December 9th 2017

Runnin' Outta Luck is one hell of a tune. Perfect pop song.

December 10th 2017

hahah yeah catching on now are ya toad

runnin outta luck is my fav off the album i reckon yeboiz

December 15th 2017

1981 Comments

put all my points in this for the user list

DoofusWainwright
December 16th 2017

20003 Comments

Growing on me, some funny shit here

Some of the tunes are great...and when they’re not so hot his lyrics still bail him out for the most part

Near a 4/5 rating

December 16th 2017

yuppppp

JWT155
January 11th 2018

Road tripping to Philly to finally see The Killers and I'm genuinely more excited to see Alex Cameron open up for them.

conditionals
February 15th 2018

Saw him in Sydney last night and... shock, he now has short, slicked back hair. Looks about 10 years younger.

Killer show though. Tiny venue.

February 15th 2018

what the bloody hell any photos?

DoofusWainwright

20003 Comments

Dude is probably pulling a Marilyn Manson circa Mechanical Animals when he scrubbed up nicer to try and look more sexually appealing, realizing he actually had female fans now.

With Cameron this sounds dangerously close to life imitating art innit.

Or maybe he just wanted to have short hair.