Protomartyr
Relatives In Descent

by butcherboy CONTRIBUTOR (88 Reviews)
October 1st, 2017 | 173 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The old Windsor humming across the river, saying Everything’s fine..

It kicks off on a cleft burst of militaristic drumming, then a thick, doomy guitar, then those coarse vocals, and you know it’s a Protomartyr joint. Relatives in Descent is the Michigan outfit’s fourth album, another set of blue collar lamentation, another squall of economic depressions, drinking sicknesses and quotidian tiredness. Another barrel of sweat, another nudge towards their own classic, another ***ing heap of post-punk goodness…

For how dense and brazen Relatives is, Protomartyr smuggle furtive shifts and variations into its every turn. They don’t let either the obelisk riffs or the sooty atmosphere sit in place for longer than a ten-stretch before making them drop or slew onto new odd trajectories. There’s something of a sinister serenity in how forbearing and composed Protomartyr sound here. Opener “A Private Understanding” coasts then cruises then crashes then corrodes all in a five-minute span, the band unafraid to let the song take its natural path to the colossal chorus it builds towards. Patience makes Relatives. They’ve tracked towards it over every one of their three past albums, but this time, the apotheosis Protomartyr have had in their sights is reached in full. They don’t seem like tight songwriters with a post-punk fetish anymore. They sound like engineers, shapers, devisers. Big chops and small insurrections make Relatives their fearless and best album, which is a hell of a feat after the winsome trio they’d rode in on.

That self-subversion had always distinguished Protomartyr from their peers, and it’s on fine display here again. They pull back on “Here is the Thing,” letting Joe Casey’s ragged baritone smash to the surface, riding a smoggy bass-line and compressed drums through the song’s length. The earworm guitar-line that would fit so well with the rhythm, lending “Here is the Thing” an instant, conventional catchiness, that any other band would have deployed from the start, doesn’t kick in until the very end, slinks around for a few bars and then fades off. On “My Children,” the band churn eerie atmospherics for half the song’s duration, until letting it break out in a The Fall-esque primitivist riff that moves concentrically around the heavy synths that moil off its surface like steam from hot piss. This subtle spoiling of traditional song patterns elevates the already-hermetic song-writing, pushing it up another notch.

Adding to these personalized streaks are the smartly-parsed more orthodox punkisms. The sing-along refrain of the cataclysmic “Male Plague,” the evil surf riff of “Up the Tower,” or the barked repeated hook of “Windsor Hum” are immediately affective, and snap the distinct complexity of Relatives, letting the listener indulge in a brief fling with some primal pleasure.

While there’s nary an inferior track here, the closing third of Relatives is where the interesting things starts to properly take place. Gloomy ambience pervades “Night-Blooming Cereus,” coating it in despairing romanticism. A thing of brutalized beauty, it creates a soft vacuum effect after eight takes of abrasive, declarative post-punk, a chance to pop your ears and let your chest heave off the dread. Then it soars so seamlessly into the havoc of “Male Plague,” that you feel like someone has just taken some knucks to the back of your head. Short and ever un-sweet, “Corpses in Regalia” morphs endlessly, first gauzy and hushed, then danceable and ***ing groovy as all hell, then fractured and melancholic, all the way to the pitchy electric hum that closes it off, lingers, only to charge into the mid-tempo march of closer “Half Sister,” kicking off perhaps the finest example of Casey’s fatalistic resignation:

In ancient Palestine,
a Roman middle-manager
dresses down a radical –
I have a back log of so-called prophets.
You are of a multitude.

Casey sounds as haunted and histrionic as he always does, cut open by anxiety. Almost never didactic or bogged in sanctimony, his sermons on Relatives makes for the best sort of politico record, one that gets the point across by simply relaying casual circumstance, as opposed to pedantically banging on about it. The band’s bent on politics is easy to understand at any rate. Detroit, their hometown, has long since been the creased whipping post of America’s disenfranchisement, all its economic and sociopolitical woes manifested in the dreary vistas of abandoned factories, endless blocks of government housing and a failing fiscal state. It is the unadorned face of the U.S.’ downfall. That Casey and the band relate all of it with such rugged finesse and covert detail is a masterly touch few of their peers could summon.

‘Maturity’ is too obtuse a word to describe what the process of watching Protomartyr gain tiers of deftness and scope has been. They aren’t soothsayers or doomsday preachers, not an act that will thrust post-punk back into the world’s good graces. What they are is something much simpler, much better. Another working-class stronghold in the peerless canon of Detroit’s consummate rockers, sulking and stewing and screaming along with MC5, the Stooges, Gories and the goddamn Supremes.

Tales of Terror Tales of TerrorThe Grifters So Happy Together
Black Randy and the Metrosquad Pass The Dust, I Think I'm BowieHusker Du Metal Circus
Half Japanese Calling All GirlsThe Fall The Fall - Singles 1978-2016
former sputnik's home post-punk maester (5)
Don’t mistake my passivity for indifference....

butcherboy
October 1st 2017

sorry, Uni.. had to get this out.. album is sitting at 4.7, and I may well bump it to a 5! potential record of the year..

October 1st 2017

I'm not mad. You do your reviewing duty and don't wait for some run-of-the-mill schmuck with no street cred.

Digging: Gattopardo - Gattopardo

October 1st 2017

can't wait to try this one out

guaranteed 3.5 or above

Digging: Bardo Pond - No Hashish, No Change Money, No Sake Sake

October 1st 2017

"guaranteed 3.5 or above"

aim higher, fam

October 1st 2017

All their past releases have been 3.5s for me, I'm just aiming where the target is

guaranteed rating between 1.0 and 5.0 on the sputnikmusic.com rating scale morelike

October 1st 2017

Your depressive realism disgusts me

theBoneyKing

Beast of a review butch

This really that good huh? Tried the first track the other day but couldn't make it through it. :-/

Digging: Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

October 1st 2017

@UniqueUniverse honestly, it disgusts me too

October 1st 2017

"Tried the first track the other day but couldn't make it through it."

pathetic

theBoneyKing
October 1st 2017

Idk it just seemed boring and kind of cheesy to me. I didn't give it a fair chance though.

you didn't

Lucid
October 1st 2017

Great record but I don't have much affinity for post-punk so there's a limit to my love. About a 3.5, def recommended to anyone who's a fan of the subgenre.

@Boney: I disliked the opener too but it's not a reliable indicator of how the rest sounds (more actual singing and driving rhythms). Push through and you'll find the goodies.

ScuroFantasma
October 1st 2017

Great review Butcher, you have a knack for interesting me in anything you write about. Currently jamming the opening track and I'm intrigued but not hooked yet, we'll see.

Digging: Evilfeast - Elegies of the Stellar Wind

JohnnyOnTheSpot
October 1st 2017

modern post-punk generally blows and/or calls back too hard to the tried-and-trues. there's plenty of neat ideas present here and... idk, Joe Casey has a unique, effortless carriage to him. a bit excited to sink into this.

Evokaphile
October 1st 2017

SEIZE THE MEANS OF PRODUCTION!!!

Digging: Less Art - Strangled Light

brainmelter

great review butcherbro

Digging: Outre - Ghost Chants

JigglyPDiddy
October 1st 2017

Gotta give this a go. Tis'd be my first Protomartyr album.

Digging: Ondatropica - Ondatropica

Chortles

20895 Comments

congrats on the feature, well deserved as always! been waiting to hear some good post punk this year, think this will do the trick

FullOfSounds

this looks absolutely fantastic

Digging: Hannah Diamond - Pink and Blue

butcherboy
October 1st 2017

cheers all! and thank you for the feature..