Huerco S
For Those of You Who Have Never...

by Winesburgohio STAFF
August 22nd, 2017 | 35 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Apologia.

I misjudged this one. I under-estimated, at first, the way the ethereal melodies swirl around like something you know you’ve heard before but can’t quite place, a word lost at the tip of the tongue; what i thought was a deficit was, in fact, a great strength, especially when it’s 4 in the morning and you're cold and you need something to approximate a blanket. I over-valued the abrupt shifts between tracks. I thought they were interesting, some kind of statement on entropy -- one can stir jam into vanilla ice-cream until it becomes pink, but once it’s pink there’s no turning back the clock -- and i thought with each brusque segue Huerco S. was hovering over the album with a spoon.

I was incorrect. The abrupt segues break the cohesion of the album, which evokes an intermediary space, between life and death if you like but for me it’s more physical; as with Herbert Distel’s La Stazione, an album I ill understood the first time too, it distorts cause and effect until the woozy melodies and gorgeous lilts become both the train station at the start of the night, ripe with excitement and possibility, and the same station at the end, where you return either celebrant or rueful. Which is to say that this album exists in the spaces in between, the ones that aren’t noticed or vaunted but which are essential to anything happening nonetheless. A crook of a room, a quick bathroom break in a cafe; it is the incidental, unexplored spaces and locations Huerco S. troubles himself with, and what he finds is astonishing, radiant, beautiful. The effect is nothing less than magical.

It’s nothing as trite as blowing the dust off, or detailing decay through shimmering synth-loops and snatches of implacable grooves. It’s more than that, but less. It’s what happens in between life, and Huerco finds things worth exalting.

I got it wrong - i’ll slip tinymixtapes a tenner later - so I hope this rectifies things. I very nearly missed out on one of the most essential albums of the decade. Let this haunting near-miss be an example. After all, with the virtue of hindsight, it’s the little things, the delicate things, which matter the most.

Dean Blunt Soul on FireJimmy Eat World Clarity
Yves Tumor Safe in the Hands of LoveSophie Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides
Scott Walker TiltKanye West ye
robin EMERITUS (4.5)

Colonial Patterns
recommended by reviewer
Herbert Distel La Stazione

August 21st 2017

2016 had many awesome albums and this was one of them. Delightful read here, props for being you x

Ryus

hell yeah

mingochicken
August 21st 2017

Had nearly the same exact experience w this album. Now it's an all time fav.

verdant
August 21st 2017

huerco should consider himself lucky that two incredible incredible writers have decided to grace this (lovely) album with their thoughts.

nice, gr8 alb

August 21st 2017

hell ye bro. love that first p. your writing is so captivating and incisive and personable.

August 22nd 2017

Wonderful review. I must check this out

August 22nd 2017

is nice n chill. colonial patterns makes me uncomfortable. in a good way

August 22nd 2017

"promises of fertility" is the best here. side d is perfect for drifting off to sleep

August 22nd 2017

have any of u guys heard his ep from last year QTT4? i really liked it. very placid and cathartic and enveloping

August 22nd 2017

consists of just one 31min amb//drone song.

nah will cheque

jtswope

Great review.

Winesburgohio
August 22nd 2017

ha weirdly i hadn't cheqqed Robin's review -- i assumed this wasn't really a "sput" album -- and now i have i'm glad we seem to convey similar things, he with a lovelier rhythm naturally.

dude i LOVE qtt4 -- actually it reminds me, uncannily almost, of Meadowlark... but that's another chapter

Digging: Burial - Claustro/State Forest

mindleviticus
August 22nd 2017

i've been saying the same thing for months. good review

August 22nd 2017

yea man it is very similar to meadowlark which is prob why i like it so much

robin

love this

mindleviticus
August 22nd 2017

A sea of love is ecstasy

brandontaylor
August 23rd 2017

this is a really great and varied ambient album, but lacks a standout moment i can really lose myself to. that said, i love falling asleep to this.

January 19th 2018

huerco s dropped a new record today under the name pendant. it's excellent