AJJ
Back in the Jazz Coffin

by Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (108 Reviews)
August 21st, 2017 | 27 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: ...that’s the food I eat, that’s the juice box I crave.

After The Bible 2, AJJ’s most polarizing album to date, the group’s next course of action wasn’t very clear. The group has been tinkering with their new sound since Christmas Island, leading one to think this EP is the next step in their evolution. But, Back in the Jazz Coffin seems to be much more of an experiment, rather than another “Garbage Pop” record. Sure, elements from this era of AJJ can be found in the new record by “The AJJs,” but this release is very different from their recent output. The group has been stripped down to a duo for the first time since Knife Man. Founding members Sean Bonnette and Ben Gallaty take this opportunity to provide a striking and simplistic approach to climactic indie rock. Incorporating sweetly melancholic melodies with slow grooves, the two are able to create spacious and clean songs that portray a strong sense of emotion. Songs like "Fuckboi” and “Blood, Hatred, Money and Rage 2” feel extremely real and genuine, but still polished beyond belief. The haunting melodies benefit from a razor sharp style of production and the infectious hooks. Bonnette’s strange style of lyricism fits in well with the music, creating a thoroughly engaging experience.

This said, not much of Back in the Jazz Coffin feels cohesive. Each tracks feels slightly different, and it’s enough to take one out of the experience. The slow, dry riffs of “My Crooked Leg” and the Christmas Island-esque “American Body Rentals” sound great isolated, but they have little to do with each other. The disjointed nature of this EP leaves much to be desired, as does the run time. Many of these ideas, while being complete and enjoyable tracks, feel as if they could have been fleshed out, as the release is just under nine and a half minutes. Despite this, many musical ideas shown here are simplistically effective, offering a tasty sampler of what might come next.

Destruction Sentence of DeathBig Business The Beast You Are
Butthole Surfers Humpty Dumpty LSDButthole Surfers Weird Revolution
Butthole Surfers ElectriclarrylandImprecation Damnatio ad Bestias

August 21st 2017

Stream the album here: https://ajjtheband.bandcamp.com/album/back-in-the-jazz-coffin

Praise be to Dbizzles for helping me proofread this.

dbizzles
August 21st 2017

Gonna ask the meds to change my username to SongsLikeFuckboi ASAP.

Nice review, bloon : )

bbgames

will jam soon

SandwichBubble
August 21st 2017

"The group has been stripped down to a duo for the first time since Knife Man."

Oh, that's why I like this a bit more than their last two releases

ianblxdsoe

1916 Comments

oh fuck yeah; nice review bloony

AsleepInTheBack
August 21st 2017

awwwww yeah, nice one bloon

TumsFestival
August 21st 2017

like the intro song a lot

BlushfulHippocrene
August 21st 2017

Well-written as usual, Bloon. Your descriptions could be a bit fleshed out - without going into detail, you reference an old sound and new sound (Christmas Island versus Knife Man, I suppose), but never fully articulate the particular characteristics of each. Your analysis is as good as ever, though as usual I think requires a little more sonic description so as to support your argument(s). Given that there are very few songs, at least a couple of them could've been dissected a bit more, I think that would've benefited the review.

Pos'd, of course, really good write-up.

Dewinged
August 21st 2017

Nice swift write up Bloon. And here I thought this was a jazz album.

Digging: Otoboke Beaver - Itekoma Hits

betray

i love bloon

thanks man

Frivolous
August 21st 2017

nice work bloon congrats on the feature!!!

dbizzles
August 22nd 2017

I'm gonna jam this tomorrow, mark my words.

Conmaniac
August 22nd 2017

you say climatic but did you mean "climactic" possibly? nice work tho bloon

Dedes
August 22nd 2017

Awesome review my man, I saw ajj and knew it was you.

Digging: Hath - Of Rot And Ruin

Thanks guys

August 22nd 2017

The feature was fun while it lasted.

AsleepInTheBack