Dead Cross
Dead Cross

by Sean H. USER (128 Reviews)
August 4th, 2017 | 33 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Blow out the candles on your urinal cake...

The tantalizing idea of a supergroup is one that has been waved in front of music fans’ faces for quite some time, but the end result usually ends up being extremely underwhelming if the artists rely on their fame as a crutch. Even still, the idea of some of your favorite musicians coming together to make a record or two is hard not to get excited for, even if some of these side projects can end up being mere ghosts of what made the artists famous in the first place. Mike Patton, love him or hate him, is a man who could probably tell you a lot about side projects. From Mr. Bungle, which was his first band, to Fantômas and Tomahawk, the man clearly has a lot of creative energy he would like to get out. Former Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo, who was also in Fantômas, and two members from hardcore punk group Retox have joined Patton to form Dead Cross.

This combination of musicians make it clear from the start that this is going to be deeply rooted in the bizarre ways of Patton and all of the psychosis that comes with it. This fits in snugly with the harsh hardcore stylings of guitarist Mike Crain and bassist Justin Pearson, as well as the talented drumming that has made Lombardo a big name in the metal scene. Accompanying the large quantities of charm and chemistry are the fascinating performances, which are wildly intense and packed with energy and vigor. The animated riffs and the noisy bass work are enveloping, while the frenzied drum work steals the attention on many occasions. Each of these elements hit harder than a sledgehamme. The abrasive sound feels like said hammer is striking one’s face as Patton’s vocals soar and screech in the background, as is usual with his daunting and versatile performances. The violent and slightly repetitive nature of this doesn’t lend itself to an amazing selection of songwriting motifs, but its unique charm and morbid, dissonant tone helps distract from this album's few flaws.

Alas, this record is only 27 minutes, so it doesn’t have much time to build on the obvious potential that it willingly shows off. What is here, however, is a hardcore crossover record that is a collection of brooding, crazy, and destructive tracks. The absurdist approach the band has taken here is not for everyone. In fact, people who hate Patton’s brand of outlandish humor and chaos will not find much to enjoy, as he obviously has taken a leading role. Despite this, as a supergroup, there there might not b something here for fans of the individual artists to enjoy, even if one member is obviously spearheading the release. This blend is what makes the concept so interesting and, while it may not peak punk performance, it’s a fun approach to severe derangement.

Kanye West Jesus Is KingJeff Rosenstock Thanks, Sorry!
Fleshlicker Video For PleasureGulch Burning Desire to Draw Last Breath
Profanatica Rotting Incarnation of GodThaiboy Digital Legendary Member
3.3

August 4th 2017

Check out the album here: https://deadcross.bandcamp.com

Thanks to Blush and Claire for helping me out.

Thirtieth review, woot woot!

clavier
August 4th 2017

One small typo: should be "its unique charm"
Otherwise, very clear writing, keep it up bloonman

Digging: Vi Som Alskade Varandra Sa Mycket - Det Onda. Det Goda. Det Vackra. Det Fula.

Thanks, I'll fix that.

Frivolous
August 4th 2017

nice work dude, pos'd. i still need to check this

BlushfulHippocrene
August 4th 2017

Your last sentence is amazing, fantastic review as usual, Bloon.

Digging: Leonard Cohen - Thanks For The Dance

August 4th 2017

Thanks a million fellow sput users.

DatsNotDaMetulz
August 5th 2017

I feel like the low average is down to people overhyping this album in their own heads.

widowslaugh123

I dig it

butcherboy
August 5th 2017

great last sentence, greater summary.. will check..

Dedes
August 5th 2017

Good review. Blows my ass review out of he water. Anyways though I have a feeling I won't like this, never got the appeal of crossover thrash or most thrash as a whole really.

August 6th 2017

Good review Bloon, jammed this today a bit and really dug it but why is the volume so low in the mix...?

Digging: Emily Jane White - Immanent Fire

DatsNotDaMetulz
August 7th 2017

Probably going for full dynamic range? They're generally quieter as the Loudness War mastering tends to end up with clipping and a limited dynamic range.

Stereochrome1
August 7th 2017

This album is absurd, visceral, and fun. I dig it.

August 7th 2017

"Probably going for full dynamic range?" Um, I see, that may be it, but I still think it is missing just a bit of punch in the mastering.

This is the closest Patton has got to Fantomas lately, so I'll take it.

MillionDead
August 21st 2017

It's good, but it doesn't go as hard as it wants to.

Edit: Vocals are pretty cheesy at times too. I know his voice is his claim to fam but he should have dialed it back, maybe see how well he could have utilized one vocal track instead of all the overlays.

August 22nd 2017

Why the hell did they get arrested?

twipzdeeauxilia
August 23rd 2017

This album is fun, influenced by many genres.

owen
August 26th 2017

listening to this always results in jamming retox

widowslaugh123
August 27th 2017

Yeah same. I hope all dead cross stuff doesn't kill another great JP band

JohnFire
September 3rd 2017

Missing an r at the end of sedgehammer.

Also, where's that noisy bass you're telling me about? Bass is completely buried in the mix, as are the guitars most of the time. I get what they were going for, old punk records like Dead Kennedys. Just didn't turn out to sound good.