Busdriver
Temporary Forever

by Bloon CONTRIBUTOR (80 Reviews)
July 5th, 2017 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Busdriver is saying nothing, but we all need to be listening...

What I say in this review doesn't really matter. After all, no matter how good or bad this review is, the album won't be any different. My words can only say so much about this album and I will no doubt miss something. No matter how long the review is, I can't describe everything that makes this album something worth listening to, as a work of art is the sum of so many parts that can't possibly be worded by one person. Even still, the things that makes a record great to someone could be the parts that make the record insufferable to someone else. I also may end up over-analyzing or under-analyzing the different parts of the work, making my coverage of the piece pretentious or belittling. Besides, even if I did work out an objectively well written review, it would still be covering a completely subjective opinion, since opinions are some of the most personal things on this earth. So, would it be better to say nothing"

Busdriver blatantly says that he's saying nothing on Temporary Forever, which is quite odd. The album is bursting with sarcastic metaphors and abstract critiques of society, but Busdriver, when asked about his name, says he's saying nothing. Could this mean that songs like Suing Sony, Unplanned Parenthood, and Gun Control aren't clever attempts to poke fun at the modern culture of irresponsibility and blaming others" They are phrased this way, but amongst these satirical songs are lines that are obtuse and abstract. Do these mean anything, or is looking for meaning in this fruitless" The ideas brought up could mean something, but many of the ideas seem indefinite and as if they could have many meanings. Plenty of these ideas are concrete, but a lot of the points brought up are so opaque that they could mean anything, if they do mean anything.

No matter what Busdriver is saying, he has a way of saying it in a perfect way of saying it. Whatever “it” is, his flow is sharp and engaging, as well as being very versatile. He's able to make every song super interesting and manages to make his trip to a Carl's Jr. entertaining with his witty and clever wordplay and delivery. The beats he raps over are equally as experimental, as they incorporate various instruments and samples that add complexities to the already flavorful drum beats that are already showcased. Both complement each other perfectly and fit together like two pieces of a puzzle.

But, as was stated above, would it have been better to not say this" Wouldn't my time have been better spent doing anything else" Well, what I personally get from this album, more than the satire, more than the jokes, more than whatever hidden moral the album, is the idea that Busdriver wants to say something, so he says it. He doesn't beat around the bush or attempt to make something he's saying more clear, he just says what he thinks, and, since it isn't stupid and it's clearly thought out, that is something that is worthy of some respect. So, this review takes after what he does, in that this is what I wanted to say, not what “needed” to be said.

Satan Cruel MagicEminem Kamikaze
Young Thug Slime LanguagePixies Head Carrier
Body/Head The SwitchNegativland Dispepsi

July 5th 2017

(Please) Stream this album: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/74189/Busdriver-Temporary-Forever/

Digging: Man or Astro-Man? - Your Weight on the Moon

Archelirion
July 5th 2017

I was wondering where you were going with that first paragraph, but boy did you segue it in well. Easy pos, you're cranking these out right now ^ ^

TheMrAlexK
July 5th 2017

Not a fan of the album, but I'm a fan of the review

thanks guys

verdant

lovely review

also @EphemeralEternity did you steal your name from this record

he got it from Mare Cognitum's Phobos Monolith

BlushfulHippocrene
July 5th 2017

Yeah, the first paragraph ends up contextualising the analysis quite well. Still wish it would have been said a little more concisely, but it work, so pos!!

Drifter

Hey! I recced you this!

theNateman
July 5th 2017

This is a fabulous album. His lyrical density reminds me a ton of stuff like Aesop Rock

AsleepInTheBack
July 5th 2017

Great review, and lovely first para. 3rd para needs a little bit of work though. First sentence reads a little clumsily, though I get the central idea of the sentence is some repetition, but some slight rewording could benefit it. Also the second sentence you repeat 'engaging'. Otherwise though, its great, you certainly have me intrigued

Prancer
July 5th 2017

I always thought about reviewing this, but never knew how to approach it. At least this finally has a review now. I feel like more could have been said about the album but completely understand what you were trying to say about it based on the review. You just have to listen to it because I really don't know how one would go about trying to analyze Driver's lyrics. Best Driver album I have heard from him by far.

cylinder
July 6th 2017

decent review, I think there's a lot about the sound here you could've touched on tho. It's quite vibrant and cartoony.. amazing album tho. I really appreciate the way he sits his spoken-word stuff right alongside the hip-hop. Dude is a wordsmith