CHON
Homey

by TundraL5Z USER (4 Reviews)
June 16th, 2017 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Chill at the Homey's table BRAH!

CHON has had quite the success from the fans of the sides of the Prog rock/metal spectrum's respectively right from the gate with their first EP "New Born Sun" catching everyone completely off guard with these young talents complexity in their riffing as well as incorporating some smooth jazzy elements to their sound.

This feel then continued on to their first full length effort "Grow" which was again another pleasing album for their demographic to stick their teeth into. Some off the tracks like Story and Suda really made strides for the band, once again maintaining their superb musicianship and at the same time making a cohesive piece of work that makes sense and is also extremely catchy.

Here on the bands sophomore release entitled "Homey" we see quite a bit of shifting in the bands style, with elements being implemented such as electronic sampling, guest vocalists and an overall more dynamic and better sounding production overall. From the first song on the album Sleepy Tea your already seeing a picture form of what the band is aiming for in this album. The album has a very laid back vibe to it and is very relaxing to listen to, and i feel like the band has kind of struck a balance between the technical side of the band, but at the same time not overly loud and completely in your face all the time, songs such as Water Slide and The Space are just as progressive as their previous songs.

The songs just are more dynamic in terms of sound which their previous albums had a big lack of to keep the tracks interesting. At first i was a little bit skeptical about the incorporation of the electronic elements especially on the track Nayhoo feat. Masego and Lophiile but after a couple of listens, the track started to make sense in relation to the rest of the album, and Lophiile compliments the track quite well with his mellow performance, similar cases can be said for the track Feel This Way.

Over all i came into this album expecting to feel a little bit disappointing by this album, worrying about how much electronics will be implemented in the album and will it over shadow the riffing, well i was left pleasantly surprised that the band was able to create a nice blend of technical and mellow with the additional help of the sampling to form this very easy listenable and addicting release